Nov 27, 2021, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
If I were in that situation I would fly anyways. If they complain you can remind them that the field is open for everyone. Next step is to bring it up at the next club meeting. Still an issue, get your AMA ADVP involved. In your area I believe that would be Andrew Griffith. Flying over the runway is against the AMA safety code. If I’m not mistaken the ADVP can suspend the clubs sanction over safety violations if they don’t correct the issue. The club also has to follow their own bylaws and the AMA ADVP can help with that also.
Exactly what I did. I announced "coming out on the runway" and flew. They where pissed and reported me. After bringing it it up at the club meeting I was told I was in the wrong and should have asked permission to fly and not if they said no, which they tell everybody, every time. Oh trust me, I brought all the facts. The problem is that most of the remaining club members that DON'T fly in these circles are between 75 an 105 years old and are afraid to say anything. That and the fact the folks doing the flying have embedded themselves in the leadership. By now I'm sure they have amended the by-laws to suit them.

I fought enough of these battles years ago with Heli's, It's not worth it, but as whole we all have to protect flying sites. And these guys are not by running folks off.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2021, 10:56 AM
I understand that but by not taking action yourself does that not somewhat take away from the effectiveness of complaining about it? These R/C forums are full of guys that only want to complain and take no action other then to gang up on others that have a different opinion. We’ve seen examples of that in this thread. Why would you want to be one of those guys. You say that this type of behavior is affecting the hobby negatively and I certainty agree with you but complaining on a forum accomplishes very little if anything at all.

Now before anyone shows up and makes accusations, you certainty have the right to your opinion and you have the right to voice your opinion as well. I’m only pointing out that doing so on a forum doesn’t aid in a solution. There are those who have been doing so for years and have made zero progress towards their goals.
Nov 27, 2021, 11:15 AM
i don't think that the AMA Safety Code has any prohibition against flying over the runway. The AMA SC is a broad and general document. Something like that would be far too restrictive to have in the SC.

Rather than speculate as to the club's bylaws, read over them and see what is in there that might further your position, including what steps are needed to make amendments. If all this is happening as you say, I doubt that you are the only one that is concerned. But this really has nothing to do with IMAC as an organization. This is just typical RC club crap.
Last edited by koppterX; Nov 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM.
Nov 27, 2021, 11:32 AM
The AMA rule is “ no flying past the safety line “. Each club is able to establish their own safety line, all fields with a runway that I have ever flown at establish the safety line as the far edge of the runway.
Nov 27, 2021, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
The AMA rule is “ no flying past the safety line “. Each club is able to establish their own safety line, all fields with a runway that I have ever flown at establish the safety line as the far edge of the runway.
So, passes down the runway have been illegal at every club you've belonged to?

Strange.
Nov 27, 2021, 01:07 PM
I have witnessed no arrests for making low passes over the runway in the 44 years that I have been flying.

Of course I do know what you meant however as someone who constantly states “ words have meaning” you should be using correct terms yes?

That said low passes down the runway do happen as we both know. They are not to be done when the pilots station are full and they must be called out and acknowledged. Typical club bylaw regarding passes. All the clubs I have been a member of since 3D began have forbid hovering, torque rolling etc over the runway. I once read that you were a fan of Down on the Deck, Joe Hunt was kicked out of the SCCMAS club for repeatedly doing so. I myself when flying always stay on the correct side of the safety line as shown in this video.

2015 SAM Open House Demostration (9 min 15 sec)
Nov 27, 2021, 01:46 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_28r_200
Except here's what the reality is:
"Everyone knows that when you show up with your rig and following entourage to the field all the other members are to now allow you rights to exclusively own the airspace above the runway to yourself and do as you please, with no regard for the fact that they paid the same membership dues you did."

We don't skate much in Florida, LOL.
I guess I was suggesting that ultimately you need different time slots for competition and sport flying. When I'm sport flying, it's no fun having to avoid the competition plane all the time. On the other hand, if I'm practicing a sequence, I can't afford to have somebody get in my way. That's not snobbery, it's just the way things are.
Last edited by Trisquire; Nov 27, 2021 at 04:57 PM.
Nov 30, 2021, 12:39 AM
The runway clearing machine.
Nov 30, 2021, 07:19 AM
Intermediate Multi
That would do it.
Nov 30, 2021, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_28r_200
The runway clearing machine.

Man I must have built a dozen of those back in the day. I have a Spickler kit and a HB .40 PDP that will get built over the winter to mess around with. Q500 was my first taste of R/C competition in 1980. I did some warbird racing in Sacramento prior to moving to Oregon
Nov 30, 2021, 03:47 PM
Intermediate Multi
With a 4 stroke, or maybe a small ignition engine? That must be pleasant on the ears.
Nov 30, 2021, 10:20 PM
The airplane is a self designed wayyy stand off scale Macchi 202. 60” span, 520 square inches, 6.25 lbs. power is YS 115 WS running on 40% nitro, spinning an APC 13.5X13.5.
Dec 01, 2021, 12:00 PM
Intermediate Multi
Kewl.
Dec 01, 2021, 08:29 PM
Thanks!

Quick Reply