Mar 19, 2021, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie first speed plane

Not new to rc but I want to get my first speed plane. Electric only. What do you suggest?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2021, 02:46 PM
Smaller, Lighter, Faster!
This might not be a very satisfying answer, but it all depends on your buildjng and flying skills and most importantly; how deep your pockets are.

You can get anything from a suped up pnp foamy like the efxtra, to a fully molded carbon f5d/f5b.
You can also build a small speed model yourself, just look at what mikerx, jwfinn, planemadman and murdocmurnoc are doing.

Are you more interested in flying fast in a straight line (f3s plane) or in gliding at high speed and rocketing up during a climb (f5b plane)? Is there a 250g limit in your area?

I can't recommend any particular planes, but I hope this helps somewhat.
Mar 19, 2021, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
I want to zip back and forth as fast as possible. Price no object.
Mar 19, 2021, 10:05 PM
100, 200, or 300 mph? You can get to 120 with EF1 racers. There is a assortment of sport airplanes available from most of the main distributors that will do over 100 mph. You can get to 200 mph with FAI stuff. You can get to 250 mph with some all out speed trials equipment. It just depends on your reflexes, and how deep your pockets are.
Mar 19, 2021, 11:52 PM
Have you experienced FunJet speeds yet? It's the perfect first go fast plane
Mar 20, 2021, 05:14 AM
Thread OP
I've had a glow powered diamond dust. I'm thinking about 200 mph should be good.
Mar 20, 2021, 06:52 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Roger for a 200 mph plane and no price limits, I'd suggest a direct drive F5D plane running 4s-5s. Frankly an Avionik wouldn't be a bad idea given its wonderful handling, but if you haven't built out a lightweight composite plane before, you might want to have Lenny do the build out for you. He's the guy most people go to, and rightfully so. Another good option would be an XPlus if you can get one. Low speed handling isn't as friendly but it's unbelievably strong and fast, and absolutely beautiful.
Mar 20, 2021, 07:59 AM
312mph FPV
There are so many choices!. It's like a sweetshop, but the candy is expensive!... but bang for buck, this Funjet setup is absolutely solid and reliable and will sustain 200mph for 1 minute straight. Around $250 to build, with batt/motor/esc/servos. ...And the sound..

200mph very close pass!!! (2 min 28 sec)
Mar 20, 2021, 08:43 AM
"Have that removed!"
Along the F5D (F3E) style, take a look at the Jolt from Soaring USA.

https://www.soaringusa.com/JOLT2-F5D...category_id=34

It's not a contemporary F3E competitor and I haven't had one myself, but it is a popular model for speed sport flying. A friend of mine has one and it's a perfectly suitable model for this. The cabin is a little larger than some of the newer F3E planes, so it will be a little easier to work with. Look at the accessories on the Soaring USA page and do a search here for the Jolt build thread.

These types of composite planes are well made, durable and they are easy to launch and see in the air because of their relatively large size.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Mar 20, 2021, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I've got a lot of research to do.

Quick Reply