Mar 30, 2021, 06:12 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks
the 2 models are chalk and cheese , one is 2s brushless with a 3 servo wing and lights , the other is a 1s brushed model with a 2 servo wing , the wing loadings will be quite different. i would like to know what the 2s J3 cub flies like compared to these ??
Don't ignore the airframe similarities. Same wingspan, same wing area, same airfoil - probably the same wing stamp if we're being real here - and yet the UMX Carbon Cub weighed 3.17oz while the Sport Cub S weighs 2oz.

That's a 58.5% increase in weight, and with that comes the associated increase in wing loading.

Yes, the Sport Cub S had more power, because it needed it. It flew like a brick. The undercambered airfoil with that much wingloading didn't help but the airplane was just too heavy for it's size. And that's the price you pay when you start stacking features onto a tiny airframe. And that's exactly why the UMX Timbers are so much bigger.

I still have mine in the garage. It was not a fun airplane to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2021, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
If the NX10 had been invented at that time, I may have chosen it instead to save a few bucks, not necessarily to get a better unit.
I've toyed with the idea of getting an NX10 as well. It's neat and some of the features are quite appealing but I dread having to rebind all my planes just to get features I've been able to live without so far...

Maybe in a moment of weakness some time in the future!

Don
Mar 30, 2021, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Yes. I had my LHS put an order in as soon as the pre-order was announced. How about you? .
My Draco is on hold with Hobby Hobby and they will call when they arrive. Got an e-mail today and still April 23rd.
Mar 30, 2021, 07:14 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Don't ignore the airframe similarities. Same wingspan, same wing area, same airfoil - probably the same wing stamp if we're being real here - and yet the UMX Carbon Cub weighed 3.17oz while the Sport Cub S weighs 2oz.

That's a 58.5% increase in weight, and with that comes the associated increase in wing loading.

Yes, the Sport Cub S had more power, because it needed it. It flew like a brick. The undercambered airfoil with that much wingloading didn't help but the airplane was just too heavy for it's size. And that's the price you pay when you start stacking features onto a tiny airframe. And that's exactly why the UMX Timbers are so much bigger.

Wow. That's exactly the opposite of how most RCers I know who bought the UMX CC feel about it. In fact - it was one of the most popular 2s bl UMX planes for a long time, and was also one of the longest-produced 2s bl UMX planes.

Regarding WL & WCL - the UMX CC has excellent specs! WL is a low 5.47 oz/sq ft, and the WCL of only 7.2 is great! For comparison, the original UMX Timber's WL is a low 5.2 oz/sq ft, and the WCL is an excellent 5.7. Not a big difference in the real world, but certainly noticeable. But the UMX CC is certainly NOT a brick! It has great WL & WCL numbers for low & slow flight. Plus, it can easily climb straight up with nothing but a decent low-sag 2s pack. Got video of mine pulling straight up out of a hover with a TP 325 BabbelBatt.

I also have a lot of video of me doing lazy figure-eights just above walking speed, only a wingspan or so high, and doing spot-landings at my feet in my old backyard. The UMX CC still makes me grin like a kid in a candy-store every time I fly it!

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
Mar 30, 2021, 07:26 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a UMX Draco.
Don't think it would fly as good as the UMX Timber, so for me, it would be nothing more than a novelty or a "hanger queen" for my computer den.
Mar 30, 2021, 07:37 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
I've toyed with the idea of getting an NX10 as well. It's neat and some of the features are quite appealing but I dread having to rebind all my planes just to get features I've been able to live without so far...

Maybe in a moment of weakness some time in the future!

Don
My dilemma coming from an Airtronics SD-10G is having to buy all new receivers and re-programming every model AND learning a new programming protocol, this is why I'm in no hurry and just trying to get a feel for the best route to take brand wise. Spektrum is the obvious choice as there's just so much integration with the HH models but Jeti seems like a feature rich TX of very high quality and then there's the open TX options which scare me even more. If I had a DX9 I'd have prolly ordered Draco already. The problem with spektrum is which one? IX20, NX10, DX9?
Mar 30, 2021, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

I bought the UMX Carbon Cub, flew it three times, then sold it.
Mar 30, 2021, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
Don't think it would fly as good as the UMX Timber, so for me, it would be nothing more than a novelty or a "hanger queen" for my computer den.
Speaking of Hangar Queens!

Don
Mar 30, 2021, 07:56 PM
Still trying to make room for Draco
Cant buy till that happens .
Mar 30, 2021, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Speaking of Hangar Queens!

Don
I have this "hanger queen"
Wasn't planned, but after a couple of flights, that's what happened to the POS.
Mar 30, 2021, 08:04 PM
Quote:
I think we could just paint our UMX Timbers red and be good. Hard to improve on near perfection.
Mar 30, 2021, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
My dilemma coming from an Airtronics SD-10G is having to buy all new receivers and re-programming every model AND learning a new programming protocol, this is why I'm in no hurry and just trying to get a feel for the best route to take brand wise. Spektrum is the obvious choice as there's just so much integration with the HH models but Jeti seems like a feature rich TX of very high quality and then there's the open TX options which scare me even more. If I had a DX9 I'd have prolly ordered Draco already. The problem with spektrum is which one? IX20, NX10, DX9?
Before my DX9, I had a first generation DX8. It was a great radio and did everything I could ask for and more.

Two things finally convinced me to buy the DX9 I have now. First, I discovered a 'conversion utility' here on RC Groups that made all the models I had programmed into the 8 directly usable on the 9. Second, Spektrum stopped issuing updates for the DX8.

If and when the DX9 reaches the end of it's supported life, I'll most likely upgrade to whatever's the "latest and greatest" at the time.

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Mar 30, 2021 at 08:23 PM.
Mar 30, 2021, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Still trying to make room for Draco
Cant buy till that happens .
Just throw out stuff you can live without! Stove, refrigerator, sofa, etc.! Lots of room for more planes then!

No excuse not to order a Draco now!

Don
Mar 30, 2021, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I think we could just paint our UMX Timbers red and be good. Hard to improve on near perfection.
you got that right. hmm... how to paint timby red without adding weight
Mar 30, 2021, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Just throw out stuff you can live without! Stove, refrigerator, sofa, etc.! Lots of room for more planes then!

No excuse not to order a Draco now!

Don
If I did that, Wifey would throw me out

Quick Reply