Jun 13, 2021, 12:54 PM
We had a big fly-in at the club yesterday and it was very hot and sunny. I had my Freewing Rebel there which has a big black cockpit as well as my little FMS T-28. I tried my best to keep my planes under my awning in the shade. I swear both planes after just one flight had gatored terribly. Just no stopping it unless you never fly them on a sunny day or maybe paint the cockpits white.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2021, 04:19 PM
what goes up, must come down..
My 2 bobs worth, fwiw...

I seldom have cockpit gatoring even with a black dash/ cockpit, but I am quite strict with looking after my planes.
Personally I don't think it is only a direct sunlight thing but I'd consider the hothouse effect to be just as damaging, if not more so.
When I am at a field with no decent shade my planes are upside down to protect the cockpit and if the underside is a dark colour, a decent towel is draped over the plane. The plane is upright only to fly as immediate as possible, any hiccup to getting airborne a towel will again be draped. A simple preventative action that takes only seconds to do.
Ultimately the cockpit needs to be ventilated. I'd be flying with the rear window removed, seeing as that's the simplest. Possibly even remove some side windows, perhaps make them magnetically removable too?
Some of my foamie warbirds that have enclosed canopies I have a hole cut into the fwd area of the cockpit floor preferably under the instrument panel out of view, and the same at the cockpit rear, or drill small holes into the rear canopy. And when my warbirds aren't flying, plane is inverted on the ground and canopy removed and placed in the shade.
And anyone who says balsa tolerates heat does not reflect my experience, I've had numerous covering wrinkles/failures and even wings ended up with slight twist, when exposed to too much high 30 deg C and high humidity.
Full composite birds are about the only airframe that will better tolerate summer sun, even then I'd be cautious, epoxy does soften if it gets hot enough...
Jun 13, 2021, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
You must not fly draco in the sun or leave draco in the sun.
Just fly at night!

This has two major benefits:

1) You'll see DRACO's lights better.

2) If there is any gatoring, you won't see it!

Don
Jun 13, 2021, 04:55 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital don
just fly at night!
This has two major benefits:
1) you'll see draco's lights better.
2) if there is any gatoring, you won't see it!
:d
don
lol! :d:d:d
Jun 13, 2021, 05:09 PM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24
Another one to add... fly inverted

Kman
Yes for those who can. 😂

Bob
Jun 13, 2021, 06:23 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Yes for those who can. ��

Bob
It's easy! Just remember that the ailerons work the same old way when you're flying inverted - but when it comes to elevator, down is up, and up is expensive!

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
Jun 14, 2021, 03:00 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Flew Draco after getting a BNF first batch and having let it sit for 2 months. I did the maiden plus 1, and then my son EthanRC put another flight on it. The most noteable quality of the airplane is its scale fidelity. As far as flight performance, it reminds me of the FMS Beaver, but with a slower roll rate. Power is more than adequate. On a rough grass runway, the prop reverse function on landing only makes a subtle difference. It is a novelty, more than it is a show stealer. I use reverse on most of my float planes which comes in handy when taxiing on water. Landings keep you honest and will bounce if you don't grease it. I can see why people want different tires or suspension adjustment, but I think if you just practice greasing the landings, it will be more rewarding. The airplane is a big step fwd in detail and fidelity.
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Jun 14, 2021, 05:19 AM
Rabid Rabbit
I’m just starting to learn the side slip move on Cubs that don’t have flaps. Would that help eliminate the bounce on DRACO?
Jun 14, 2021, 07:40 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
It's easy! Just remember that the ailerons work the same old way when you're flying inverted - but when it comes to elevator, down is up, and up is expensive!

Joel
Not necessarily… One of my Sig Fazer’s 30 or so years ago.

Bob
Jun 14, 2021, 11:29 AM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Still show back order on the HH website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellairvideo
I ordered mine from its release (Model Flight Adelaide) I have had to make the enquiries re delivery as they said it would be here end of May. After a call it is now mid July. So I might have to ask for a refund as well as it was paid in full A$899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog55
Contacted the hobby shop (Metro Hobbies in Melbourne ) and they made enquires on my behalf…..none in Aus and no date of arrival……cancelled my order and they have processed my refund…….their service has been great and I will continue to buy my planes from them in the future to support them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
Same here, I have already cancelled my order (+ a bunch of spares) with Metro.
For a worldwide release it is amazing how an awful lot of the world outside of USA has been left well behind, the wait is ridiculous, still with no eta.
I didn't desire Draco for the hype, I've been following Mike Patey for quite a while so to have the Draco would have been sweet.
I'll turn my focus back to my Seagull Savage Shock Cub and wait for a 2nd hand Draco opportunity later.
Until things went sour for me here, it had been a bunch of fun hanging out in the other thread.
All the best to y'all, fellas, fly low n' slow!
I cancelled my order on June 7th, twice. I received 2 email confirmations from HH, both confirming my order cancellation. One week later,
HH still shows my Draco order as active (and on perpetual backorder), including my VISA card information. I find this rather unsettling.
Jun 14, 2021, 01:56 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Not necessarily… One of my Sig Fazer’s 30 or so years ago.

Bob
LOL! I remember one of those at the club field back in the '90s!

Joel
Jun 14, 2021, 02:05 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaHat
I’m just starting to learn the side slip move on Cubs that don’t have flaps. Would that help eliminate the bounce on DRACO?
The forward-slip is a method of slowing down on approach, and the true side-slip is a method of landing in a crosswind. Don't think either one would help solve a bouncy rollout. The same drag that you get in a forward-slip descent can be accomplished with the flaps. In fact, the flaps are capable of adding more drag than a typical forward-slip approach does. Of course, you can combine a forward-slip approach with flaps & come in extremely steep without gaining airspeed (as many full-scale bush-pilots do when landing in tight spots) - but again, that's not going to help cure a bouncy rollout.

Joel
Jun 14, 2021, 08:42 PM
QUOTE - "HH still shows my Draco order as active (and on perpetual backorder), including my VISA card information. I find this rather unsettling."

Same here - was told order cancelled but still showing as "on order". I edited my account with HH and removed my VISA card from their records just to ensure nothing got processed.
Jun 14, 2021, 09:20 PM
Hit Me! Please!
I have my Draco, but cancelled another order by email and they told me there was a problem with their ordering system preventing the cancellation to remove the order from your account page, but to rest assured it was cancelled. That did turn out to be the case for me.
Jun 14, 2021, 09:59 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Jason gets $100 for every order that's on the books so they don't like to cancel orders

Quick Reply