May 02, 2021, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong911
How do you make it shut up about it? I can't find it...

--Jason
Are you saying that your TX makes a noise whenever it does that? I don't have that TX, but can't you go in and turn off the warning for it?
As for Jason's post, it's buried somewhere in the last few dozen pages. I'd have to look for it just like you. Maybe try a search term like "frame loss" or "holds". Virtually everybody with any kind of TX gets frame losses. I don't even notice those, not now or ever.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2021, 01:11 PM
Almost forgot. Here are some pics of the finished plane. I put one coat of satin Polycrylic on the airframe. I am very happy with the way it turned out.
May 02, 2021, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjpilot
I backed up multiple times with the reverse thrust in addition to using it on landing. Pretty cool indeed. I did run into a problem though on my 6th flight, I decided to back it off the runway. It went about 10 ft and the tail sat down. I put it back in forward thrust and I could see the tail was still down. Walked over to it and saw the tailwheel yoke snapped clean off. I guess it was something I did, but after seeing all the backing up in the videos, this is not what I expected. I was flying off grass. I am going to try to repair it by putting a self tapping screw up from the bottom with a little glue on the adjoining surfaces of the yoke. Tailwheels are in stock though so I will order one for good measure. Just a word of caution though for those of you flying off grass that maybe prolonged backing up isn’t a good idea....
Backing up a plane with a small tail wheel is like leading with that wheel. Humping up from a different type of surface with a tiny forward wheel is not a good idea. Sure, I've seen them do it in videos, but knowing how little leading wheels work, I'll never do it. The little wheel "catches" when pushed, not so much when being dragged.
May 02, 2021, 01:23 PM
Yes, I am going to stick to using the reverse thrust for short landings only from here on out. No more driving it backwards on the grass. It is cool though.....
May 02, 2021, 01:55 PM
low, left, & fast
You guys gotta try it in the air! Go full flaps push over and hit reverse. It howls with a great turbo prop reverse kinda sound and floats down like you've never seen. Go back into forward thrust with low throttle before pulling out and make your short landing. Way cool!
May 02, 2021, 01:57 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Backing up a plane with a small tail wheel is like leading with that wheel. Humping up from a different type of surface with a tiny forward wheel is not a good idea. Sure, I've seen them do it in videos, but knowing how little leading wheels work, I'll never do it. The little wheel "catches" when pushed, not so much when being dragged.
Similar to what happens with the tiny nose-gear on some full-scale (and RC) trike-gear planes when flown off grass runways a lot. Every full-scale Cessna 172 instructor I've ever flown with stressed taxiing with full-up elevator, rotating ASAP during the takeoff run, and holding the nose up as long as possible during the rollout to "save the nose-gear". The TBO on a 172's nose-gear in commercial use is directly related to the above.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; May 02, 2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Typo
May 02, 2021, 02:00 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts-n-volts
You guys gotta try it in the air! Go full flaps push over and hit reverse. It howls with a great turbo prop reverse kinda sound and floats down like you've never seen. Go back into forward thrust with low throttle before pulling out and make your short landing. Way cool!
Got video??

BTW - what's the time delay between forward & reverse thrust when you just hit the switch in flight without dropping the throttle?

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
May 02, 2021, 02:20 PM
low, left, & fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Got video??

BTW - what's the time delay between forward & reverse thrust when you just hit the switch in flight without dropping the throttle?

Joel
Sorry, no vid, however cool that would be! You'll just have to try it yourself! There is only a split second of no power when you reverse or go forward. Just like when it's on the ground. It doesn't matter how much power you hold.

I will say that I am still looking for a better way to control the reversing function. I did put reverse on my button and moved it to the left corner of the radio as it is much easier to get at with a finger. I also like how it simply goes back to forward when you release it. You must still maintain a correct power setting thru all this.

I think the best control would be to simply put a sprung detent at about 10 or 20% throttle, mix the reverse to come on at this point and proportional throttle to full reverse at the bottom of travel. Much like a car throttle but backwards.
May 02, 2021, 02:23 PM
Scrappy is going to be a beast!!!
I Just Broke My Airplane Wing Spar - What I Learned | Scrappy #47 (36 min 25 sec)
May 02, 2021, 02:35 PM

Those thumbscrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Both...haha! They definitely do take some getting used to, but the sharp edges/corners also wear down slightly (on the thumbscrews themselves...and where the wing panels meet the fuse) so everything fits together/comes apart a little easier over time. Good news is everything still stays tight and secure for a very, very, very long time after that!

Also, this is the same technique I often use:
Yes, the thumbscrews are annoying. The wing must be pushed in very tight to the fuse to get the thumbscrews in or out. I am starting to damage the wing 'cause I must push so hard. I put a bit of lubrication on the 4 connectors so they go together easier. That helped. I am also going to add extensions to the wing bolts so there is more to grab to pull them out.
May 02, 2021, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Are you saying that your TX makes a noise whenever it does that? I don't have that TX, but can't you go in and turn off the warning for it?
As for Jason's post, it's buried somewhere in the last few dozen pages. I'd have to look for it just like you. Maybe try a search term like "frame loss" or "holds". Virtually everybody with any kind of TX gets frame losses. I don't even notice those, not now or ever.

I got Bitchin Betty telling me rssi percentage and then, I guess, losses and holds like every 10 seconds. I'm not concentrating on what she is saying, I'm trying to fly, which, given the amount of stuff she is saying, ends up being all Betty, all the time. I have gone into the telemetry menu and inhibited warnings about all the RX items but I can't find the rssi specific menu item.

I think this is the relevant post you are referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy65
Flew mine and notice I had something along the lines of 348 holds in a 5 minute flight. Antennas are correct. Can a Sat be added to this rx?

If it had 348 HOLDS ( H: ) there's pretty much no way it would have made it through the flight Even just a few HOLDS -- which result in a complete loss of control -- would not be good!

FADES ( F: ) on the other hand are a VERY different story The new Spektrum chipset works different than the previous set did, and it's not uncommon to see a few hundred fades on some flights in some places. But fortunately that's not an issue and is nothing to worry about

But again, if you are seeing HOLDS, then you may need to be concerned. And yes, you can add a remote/satellite receiver if you'd like (but it should not be necessary for this model). This is the one that's compatible with the AR637T/AR637TA:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../SPM4651T.html

I haven't moved any antenna wires or messed with the stock RX placement. I'm using one of the canned SPM files, just for 'fun'. I think I'm going to go from scratch like I should have done in the first place.

--Jason
May 02, 2021, 02:44 PM

Check the aileron set screws

My ailerons needed a bit of adjustment to center them. When I went to loosen the set screws at the servo arms, the screws were barely tight. They would have certainly come loose after a few flights, resulting in loss of aileron control. I removed the screws, added threadlock and snugged them up.

PLEASE, check the aileron screws before flying.
May 02, 2021, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardLee
My ailerons needed a bit of adjustment to center them. When I went to loosen the set screws at the servo arms, the screws were barely tight. They would have certainly come loose after a few flights, resulting in loss of aileron control. I removed the screws, added threadlock and snugged them up.

PLEASE, check the aileron screws before flying.
Threadlock? It's well known that Loctite will cause plastics to deteriorate rapidly and fracture. If your threadlocker gets thrown or bleeds into any plastic on the servo, expect something to suddenly shatter and break apart. A much better thing to use on threads is FoamTac or model contact cement.
May 02, 2021, 03:35 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
I know this is a long shot ... any chance you are Richard Lee who came to Canada via Texas?

Steve Hause
May 02, 2021, 03:38 PM
Repaired with a self tapping servo screw. I had to shorten the threads a bit as the full length was bottoming out against the screw that attaches the arm on the other side. I used a drop of Tech Bond where the plastic fractured and then screwed it together with the servo screw. Seems solid, but only using it will tell. I ordered another tailwheel assembly from HH. I am thinking I will install this servo screw in that one to add strength to it as well prior to installing it.

Quick Reply