May 02, 2021, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coultam
Keep getting rssi alerts on my ix12. Moved one of the ariels to 90 degrees inside the cockpit. Keep hitting around 30-40 at times during flight. Around 40 to 60 frame losses but no holds. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Any ideas?
I got a couple of RSSI alerts as well at under 100yds. I agree it's a bit disconcerting.
Taranis setup.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2021, 07:14 AM
The need 4 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileit1
I got a couple of RSSI alerts as well at under 100yds. I agree it's a bit disconcerting.
Taranis setup.
Pasted this reply from another forum by Andykunz

dBm is the real measurement made by the receiver.

RSSI% is completely bogus. Don't use it. It's a linear value that needs to be interpreted in a logarithmic way.

The %R (% Range) number is infinitely more helpful than %. It gives you a decent feeling for how much you have left to go.

The important thing is, the telemetry range is far less than the control range.

So while you are seeing a -89dBm value (about where telemetry stops), you are still at 60% of control range. You can go half again as far and still have nothing to worry about.
May 02, 2021, 10:17 AM
E-Flite Draco CRASH and DESTROYED (4 min 29 sec)
May 02, 2021, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbow
That was sad to see. Pretty sure that was pilot error. Was the CG correct using the 4000 battery? Sounded like it was gusty too. Sorry for your loss.
May 02, 2021, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coultam
Keep getting rssi alerts on my ix12. Moved one of the ariels to 90 degrees inside the cockpit. Keep hitting around 30-40 at times during flight. Around 40 to 60 frame losses but no holds. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Any ideas?
Jason (from Horizon) made a post about this earlier. Don't worry about it.
May 02, 2021, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
That was sad to see. Pretty sure that was pilot error. Was the CG correct using the 4000 battery? Sounded like it was gusty too. Sorry for your loss.
He's already admitted the error. He simply did a loop too close to the ground. Correct or incorrect CG would not have made much difference. The plane simply did not have enough altitude to do a loop.
May 02, 2021, 10:55 AM
Rabid Rabbit
I use 6S 5000 packs, don’t do aerobatics and bring it down at 5 minutes. I suspect he would have hit LVC soon if he hadn’t crashed.
May 02, 2021, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
He's already admitted the error. He simply did a loop too close to the ground. Correct or incorrect CG would not have made much difference. The plane simply did not have enough altitude to do a loop.
I don't know about that. To me, it looked like it stalled before impact. CG could have made a difference.
May 02, 2021, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbow
Ouch!!! I give you credit for posting it, and share in your pain. You likely won’t do another loop that close to the ground again.

A few take-aways.

1- nice flying field, love the scenery

2- although the actual impact was off camera it looks like the wings didn’t collapse and break which shows their durability considering there is no supports under them like some high wing planes have.

3- the thin part of the fuselage towards the back appears unbroken even with the horizontal stabilizer dislodged.
May 02, 2021, 11:52 AM
Someone posted a photo of Dracos in boxes earlier from SEFF. When Helen's Hobbies departed yesterday (Saturday afternoon), they still had one left that they didn't sell. They are located in Statesboro, GA.
May 02, 2021, 11:58 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
I don't know about that. To me, it looked like it stalled before impact. CG could have made a difference.
It simply pulled to many Gs for the airspeed coming out of the bottom of the loop & stalled a wing. An overly FORWARD (not aft) CG causes an increase in stall-speed, but that didn't look like a CG-related issue to me. Rather - it looked like a textbook over-G issue.

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
May 02, 2021, 12:01 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
Perhaps what we saw was an accelerated stall.
May 02, 2021, 12:25 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Yes - 'accelerated stall' is the term I was looking for!

Joel
Latest blog entry: Eflite 2.1m Carbon-Z Cub SS
May 02, 2021, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Jason (from Horizon) made a post about this earlier. Don't worry about it.

How do you make it shut up about it? I can't find it...

--Jason
May 02, 2021, 01:08 PM
Maidened my Draco today and put a total of 6 flight on it. Batteries used were Admiral 6s 6000’s and TP 6s 4400’s. Have my timer set at 7 mins and with mixed flying and lots of touch and goes and full stop landings the 4400’s are coming down right around 3.8v/cell and the 6000’s around 3.84v/cell. I kind of like the lighter feel of the airplane with the 4400’s in it honestly.

It was a little on the breezy side today and no flap landings are a lot easier to nail in the wind than with flaps, especially full flaps. You can definitely get the wings rocking with full flaps in the wind which results in a less than spectacular landings. Without flaps you can get it to settle right in to a nice 3 point landing and it sticks. If you don’t nail the landing with the flaps and in the wind it wants to get airborne again very easily.

I backed up multiple times with the reverse thrust in addition to using it on landing. Pretty cool indeed. I did run into a problem though on my 6th flight, I decided to back it off the runway. It went about 10 ft and the tail sat down. I put it back in forward thrust and I could see the tail was still down. Walked over to it and saw the tailwheel yoke snapped clean off. I guess it was something I did, but after seeing all the backing up in the videos, this is not what I expected. I was flying off grass. I am going to try to repair it by putting a self tapping screw up from the bottom with a little glue on the adjoining surfaces of the yoke. Tailwheels are in stock though so I will order one for good measure. Just a word of caution though for those of you flying off grass that maybe prolonged backing up isn’t a good idea....

Quick Reply