May 01, 2021, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
There will always be suckers who keep scalpers in business.
So true, and so sad.. Shipping cost's right now is what I really find ridiculous.. It is what it is I guess.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2021, 09:40 AM
For all the Mike Patey and Scrappy fans, Heads up! Now, if FedEx would only find my Dragon!
May 01, 2021, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner
I noticed when flying mine in high winds the other day, that it was bounced around more than I would have expected from a plane with AS3X.
I haven't looked at the gains, (and probably never will) but lower than normal gains would definitely explain what I experienced.
I have flown many planes with Spektrum AS3X that had much, much higher gain and in even strong wind gusts and cross winds, those planes are rock solid and un-phased by the wind. Other than needing the gyro for SAFE, I don't understand why this plane bothers with such low gain. Your experience would indicate that such low gain doesn't really do much. Even the pitch and yaw gain (as indicated by another poster) wouldn't really contribute much to gyro stability. It's possible that this plane doesn't require any gyro stabilization to speak of.
May 01, 2021, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Also via "forward programming". Find the menu page that shows all the gains and priorities. You can then change the gains as you wish. Remember that the gains on Spektrum AS3X are quite different than the gains used in gyros such as HobbyEagle, Lemon, etc. Where normal gain on those can be around 30% to 35%, gains on AS3X can easily be as high as 80 (no units used) without adverse oscillation on AIL and even higher on ELE and RUD. You can also use a "master gain" by assigning that to a slider or a knob, but here again ........................... "DANGER, WILL ROBINSON"
Quote:
From the main page on your TX, scroll down (or go find) "forward programming". That's where you will find the page that deals with gains programming. It would seem that the gains on this plane is very low compared to other AS3X RXs. I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps the display in the telemetry page hasn't synced with the AS3X page. I would think that with a roll gain of only 3, your AIL gyro movement would be nearly un-noticeable when you move the plane. My Typical AS3X roll gain on (for example) AIL is around 60 to 80 (low and high gain) on a similarly slow flying plane. (My yaw gain is over 100.)
Of course, you won't be able to even see "forward programming" menu till the RX is powered up (ie, flight battery plugged in). Also, if you ever wonder if SAFE is actually there and ON, without even revving the throttle, you move the plane and the control surfaces will deflect and stay there as long as the plane is tilted.
Like I said, I'm not familiar with Spektrum or AS3X and am still trying to take it all in.

There was/is conflicting information and I'm trying to sort through it.

Thanks guys
May 01, 2021, 10:15 AM
Don't waste your time sorting through it
Its ready to fly, just fly it.
May 01, 2021, 10:26 AM
Good copy!
May 01, 2021, 10:33 AM
215.0 MPH
Truer words have never been spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
May 01, 2021, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj
Like I said, I'm not familiar with Spektrum or AS3X and am still trying to take it all in.

There was/is conflicting information and I'm trying to sort through it.

Thanks guys
Is it the sentence in red that you can't figure out? Not sure what to tell you. If you're not sure what to change the gains to, then you shouldn't be messing with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88
I think the biggest issue in this particular case, is that instead of just programing the TX from the instructions in the revised manual, he downloaded the file for it. That file contains stuff that is a little different than the written instructions, PLUS, he now needs to figure out what all the switches are and what they do. Whereas, if he did the programming from the manual himself, it would be immediately apparent which switches do what. The additional complication is that "forward programming" is quite new to many people and those using it for the first time, is very daunting.
But you are right, this plane is basically ready to go. There isn't really much to figure out. Just bind it and fly it.
May 01, 2021, 10:56 AM
Just friging bind and fly it........ Grasshoper ........aahhhh
May 01, 2021, 11:11 AM
I do random gravity checks
Delete the model, then create a new model, program using the manual, and then bind it.

I took my Draco to the field put it together and flew it without even looking at the manual, probably not smart but it worked out fine. Just need to go back to the manual and figure out the reverse feature.

BNF planes are almost always very simple to setup even without the file or manual.
Last edited by shortbus1989; May 01, 2021 at 11:21 AM.
May 01, 2021, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
That looks really good too. How much movement is there when the wings are locked in place?

Today my Extreme Flight wing bags arrived. I don't have the antenna or the stingers installed. I do have the aileron counter balance in place. As you can see the wings fit very easily. I think there is enough padding to prevent damage and should make transport much easier. Price is $79 plus shipping which in my case was $22. However I fly several Extreme Flight planes that will fit this bag, so for me it was a good deal. These bags will fit my 78" Extra and my 85" Slick not to mention DRACO.
Sideslip, what size wing bag did you get?
May 01, 2021, 01:01 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
They explain the manual updates and other things in this video...

Not Another Draco Video! - On The Fly (15 min 43 sec)

Kman
May 01, 2021, 01:28 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash60
Sideslip, what size wing bag did you get?
35CC. It's 41" in lenght. DRACO wings are 35".
May 01, 2021, 01:32 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Maidened mine today. All went well. Seems like the plane likes to land with a little bit of power to touchdown to help with the bouncing.
My throttle stick seems to max out at 2/3 throttle. Seems like the other 1/3 does not add speed or power. I calibrated the esc, but it would never give me the beeps that followed after I slammed the throttle back to zero. Anyone else experience this?
Also, it's a shame they did not wrap that dash board with a 5 cent piece of plastic to stop the gatoring. I had my plane covered up the entire time except while flying, and it still started to show signs.
Looking forward to flying it much more.
May 01, 2021, 02:03 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
Unfortunately, black painted foam with a curved windshield is going cook it in no time in the sun. A black satin piece of construction paper on top of it would be a possible solution.

Kman

Quick Reply