Apr 26, 2021, 10:08 PM
I doubt that has anything to do with the motor reversing.
I'm not using that yet & the motor doesn't turn freely for a while after unplugging the LIPO.
Probably just the ESC capacitors take a bit to drain down.
I have other planes that do the same thing.
Also it's been noted that the motor in this DRACO does get fairly warm (no big deal)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2021, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKat
I taped everything I could including the ball joints and hinges. It wasn’t hard at all, just took a few minutes to tape everything.

This pic shows the fuselage sprayed with the semi-gloss next to the wing which hadn’t been sprayed.
I usually brush on the clear. I'm a really sloppy spray painter. I'm also worried about the propellent dissolving the foam.
That black part on the inside (top of instrument panel) ...................... Is it gartered really bad or is it a photo illusion?
Apr 26, 2021, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbow
Maiden went well. Some thoughts: doesn’t have unlimited vertical but that’s ok and it was about hands off almost immediately. I’m going to suggest a word of caution. The reverse on landing is cool but I think as thinks warm up everyone should be careful on doing this too frequently. On my last flight after the reverse I unplugged battery and noticed when I spun the prop the motor was stiff as in not free spooling and was fairly warm. After a few minutes it cooled and the motor then spun freely. Must be thermal loading. At any rate this is going to be a fun plane
It has pretty much unlimited vertical with good "low sag"/lightweight batteries. I could even hover and climb out vertically with Spektrum 6S 5000mAh 30C Smart batteries when flying at 3000+' ASL in Las Vegas (vertical performance was even better with the 50C and 100C batteries...and is even better at lower elevations!). Ambient temps will also impact battery voltage under load/power level overall (lower ambient temps = lower voltage under load = lower power to weight ratio...if you don't keep your batteries in a warm car, case, etc.).

Also, do the same test when the motor is at ambient temp (switch between forward and reverse a few times). You'll see the same result. It has nothing to do with heat...it has to do with the ESC braking required for motor reversing (and the caps in the ESC). There is no issue with going from forward to reverse, even at full throttle, over and over and over...we've tested it many times! But I still wouldn't recommend doing so many times in flight (or even on the ground)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
When you use reverse, do you wait for the motor to nearly stop before firing it up in reverse or do you just flip the switch while the motor is running at speed?
One advantage Avian ESCs have over other ESCs with motor reversing capabilities is there's no need to wait for the motor to stop before you switch between forward/reverse...the ESC takes care of it in a split second no matter what power level you're currently at (yes, even full power)!
Last edited by Jason M; Apr 26, 2021 at 10:38 PM.
Apr 26, 2021, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
One advantage Avian ESCs have over other ESCs with motor reversing capabilities is there's no need to wait for the motor to stop before you switch between forward/reverse...the ESC takes care of it in a split second no matter what power level you're currently at (yes, even full power)!
That is a wonderful feature. Unlike the HobbyKing reversing ESCs where they have to come to a near complete stop before winding it up again in reverse. If and when mine ever comes, I plan to put skis on it for winter flying. It's then that a reverse will come in handy to not have it slip slide too far away.
Apr 26, 2021, 10:24 PM
Why does the motor squeal so bad when people throw it in reverse ?
Apr 26, 2021, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Why does the motor "beep" when you power on the ESC?
Apr 26, 2021, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pileit1
JASON M

Did you experiment with flaperons during development,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and if so what were the results?
We did not because at the time we were limited to including the 637 in the BNF Basic version (which is what 90-95% of people buy) and knew we didn't have enough channels to make that work. But now that we have the new AR8360T receiver (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...PMAR8360T.html) the PD guys are planning to test it soon
Apr 26, 2021, 10:36 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Just flew Draco in the wind out here on the west side of Vegas! What a blast shootin' touch n' goes with this beauty!

Gonna' try some inflatable wheels on it soon. May help a bit with the bouncing. It's not too bad though.

Flew my trusty RoaringTop 6S 3700s this evening. 5-minute flights & landed with around 43% left in the battery. It's a nice efficient power system & the recommended flap setup & mixes were right on. Nicely done Team Horizon!
Last edited by Buzzed; Apr 27, 2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: -)
Apr 26, 2021, 10:42 PM
From DiscoverRC

E-flite Draco 2.0m Build with Ken (28 min 30 sec)
Apr 26, 2021, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
I usually brush on the clear. I'm a really sloppy spray painter. I'm also worried about the propellent dissolving the foam.
That black part on the inside (top of instrument panel) ...................... Is it gartered really bad or is it a photo illusion?
No, it’s not an illusion. I guess they were going for a textured look on the dash!
Apr 26, 2021, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKat
No, it’s not an illusion. I guess they were going for a textured look on the dash!
Nope, we were not going for a textured look! Which is why the dash is "smooth" when it comes out of the box...and the following is good for everyone to know:

PSA: DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DRACO SITTING IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT...ESPECIALLY THE DASH!

If you're forced to have it in the sun, cover at least the windshield to prevent the black painted dash from "gatoring".
Last edited by Jason M; Apr 26, 2021 at 11:14 PM.
Apr 26, 2021, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Anyone thinking about wing bags yet? Been looking at Ace Wing Carrier & Extreme flight double wing carrier bags...

Joel
Hi Joel.

With all the 'appendages' on DRACO's wings, I'm not sure a bag is the best solution. Not to mention that most of them are priced like they're made from spun gold!

Here's what I opted for when I got my FMS PA-18 Super Cub - a wing carrier made from PVC pipe and fittings and foam 'pool noodles'. DRACO's wings are longer so I modified the carrier slightly but it is now capable of carrying either plane's wings. The upper 'handle' holds the Cub's spar, the lower holds DRACO's.

I'm going to try to come up with a removable system that uses magnets for the antennae and I'll probably just take the 'stingers' off for storage and transport. But the aileron counterbalances are attached with tiny screws which would most likely wind up in the Twilight Zone if I tried to remove them at the field.

This setup gives enough clearance for the counterbalances, is considerably less expensive and maybe more practical.

Don
Apr 26, 2021, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed
Just flew Draco in the wind out here on the west side of Vegas! What a blast shootin' touch n' goes with this beauty!

Gonna' try some inflatable wheels on it soon. May help a bit with the bouncing. It's not too bad though.

Flew my trusty RoaringTop 6S 3700s this evening. 5-minute flights & was landing with 43% left in the battery. It's nice efficient power system & the recommended flap setup & mixes were right on. Nicely done Team Horizon!
Love it!! I'm probably biased since I grew up there, but Red Rock at sunset (and even sunrise!) is one of the most beautiful sights there is Really wish I could have gotten another video at sunset that day we filmed there...but it was just a bit too soon for too many people to see it

I'll let you know the next time I'm out there so we can fly DRACOs (and more!) together!

Also, for those who might have missed it, back in post #971:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=971

Craig -- armed with the some awesome info from Chris Wolfe (aka - The RC Geek...thanks Chris!) -- shared some specifics on the stock wheels/tires, axles, etc. and info on the inflatable DuBro tires/wheels that fit perfectly! The only catch is they weigh almost a pound more than stock wheels/tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Greening
The supplied wheels are foam, with plastic hubs. Dimensions of the wheels and axles as follows:

Tire diameter: 145mm
Tire width: 48mm
Wheel hub width: 27.5mm
Axle diameter: 5mm
Axle length: 29.6mm

DuBro 5.5-inch Big Wheels (DUB550RV) are an option and require no modification aside from enlarging the hub, as they are manufactured to suit 5/32" (4mm) axles. They do add some weight, switching to the DuBros will increase the flying weight by 14.4 ounces. With these installed, batteries on the lighter end of the range might be better to retain the intended handling (CG). Perhaps 6S 4000mAh or 4S 5000mAh.

Craig
Chris also shows and speaks to them more in this video:

E-flite DRACO 2.0m Smart Assembly & Flight Review | The RC Geek (16 min 12 sec)
Apr 26, 2021, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
Nope, we were not going for a textured look! Which is why the dash is "smooth" when it comes out of the box and the following is good for everyone to know:

PSA: DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DRACO SITTING IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT...ESPECIALLY THE DASH!

If you're forced to have it in the sun, cover at least the windshield to prevent the black painted dash from "gatoring".
This one wasn’t “smooth” out of the box! The dash looked that way right out of the box. it hasn’t sat out in the sun but a couple of min at most to take a few pics. This one had a bad servo out of the box, hasn’t been flown or out of the house yet!

Appreciate the info about the sun “gatoring” the foam, we learn something new everyday
Apr 26, 2021, 11:45 PM
AA6JB
First sighting of the new Draco in Northern California ... clubmate Michael Troy maidened his this AM

Quick Reply