Oct 23, 2021, 06:04 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Anyone still confused as to how you're supposed to land DRACO?
If your landing approach doesn't look like the ones in this older video you're doing it wrong.
Notice that even Mike messes them up now and then but if you're bouncing it down the runway you're going too fast.
They used a 3D scanner to make this plane and designed it to fly like the real one, it only makes sense to learn to land it like the real one and not like a Cessna. It's not easy, it takes practice but when I nail them you can't wipe the smile off my face.
I almost get mesmerized and sometimes forget the final flare seeing mine on approach when I get a good low tail approach coming at me.
In the video I posted of my landings I forgot to use the reverse thrust, didn't really need it considering how slow it was going but could have shortened them up even more.

https://youtu.be/DhKQF9qsosA
Pretty-much the same way dad taught me to land his C180 & 185 w/full Robertson kits. Full-stall power-on 3-pointers - using throttle to manage descent-rate & using elevator to manage airspeed - which results in the slowest landings, shortest rollouts - and ZERO bounces.

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2021, 06:09 PM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Pretty-much the same way dad taught me to land his C180 & 185 w/full Robertson kits. Full-stall power-on 3-pointers - using throttle to manage descent-rate & using elevator to manage airspeed - which results in the slowest landings, shortest rollouts - and ZERO bounces.

Joel
I could watch Mike bring DRACO in 100 times a day and not get tired of seeing it. I try to make all my bush plane landings like that.
When I had my Timber Evo at buddy's place where I did the DRACO vid I was doing the same thing with it.
Makes me giggle, lol
Oct 23, 2021, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Remember making sliding servo trays for V-tails?
we used to fly combat with flying wings, we had a mechanical mixer for the elevons. Then some “rich guy” built one with a new fangled computer radio and mixing and we were amazed at the simple installation and linkages.
Oct 23, 2021, 10:27 PM
"Some do, some don't"
For those who are/were curious about the wing setup for my 1.3 M Carbon Cub

Link to the Carbon Cub thread

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Oct 23, 2021, 10:39 PM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
You still had to adjust the throws, trim the control surfaces, use the standard in-flight CG tests to determine proper CG (then add dead-weight ballast) - and set up mechanical aileron differential & mechanical expo (which was difficult, at best). Oh - and do a proper range-test with each new rx & also every time you changed channels. Plus, getting shot-down due to RFI was very common back then. Never happens nowadays with decent radio gear. And then...there was waiting for your channel to open up on the frequency board - which sometimes took an hour or more.

No thanks. I have absolutely zero desire to go back to the bad old days of RC.

Joel
+ 1000

Bob
Oct 24, 2021, 03:50 PM

Draco & Espritmodel.com standbox

Has anyone used this for a Draco transport / stand?
https://www.espritmodel.com/standbox...-solution.aspx
Oct 24, 2021, 04:24 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:

Joel
That has become my new standard training tape. And I resemble that remark about the bounces.... See photo I shared with new Draco wheels...

Man on a mission....

o_c
Oct 24, 2021, 04:32 PM
"Some do, some don't"

Draco Transport

This is what I came up with....

Not as fancy as some but works well inside the Plane Hauler.

Under Bed storage container $25 Target

Mark R.

old_coastie
Oct 24, 2021, 06:34 PM
And here's mine!

The spars for DRACO and my FMS Super Cub are stored in the horizontal pipes above the wings.

With enough duct tape, PVC, and foam one could rule the world!

Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Oct 24, 2021 at 06:41 PM.
Oct 24, 2021, 06:48 PM
I flew my DRACO yesterday. The more I fly it, the more I like it! Flies slow, handles wind, looks great in the air and on the ground!

I've come to the conclusion that even though nothing is 'perfect', at least in my case the biggest issues with many planes are usually caused by the guy behind the sticks...

Don
Oct 24, 2021, 06:49 PM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
And I resemble that remark about the bounces.... See photo I shared with new Draco wheels...
What wheels are you using ?
Oct 24, 2021, 06:55 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSteeve
What wheels are you using ?
Picked up DuBro's at Swap meet for $20 for a pair. They ain't light, but it's not like Draco is on a diet either.
Oct 25, 2021, 03:58 PM
I here is my weekly flying group- I’ll be posting a full video about moving the cg back and the Kavan 5” tires next week
This Week At The Field #13, Vintage Planes, Jets and Draco Landing Practice (12 min 58 sec)
Oct 25, 2021, 04:15 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Demo7
I here is my weekly flying group- I’ll be posting a full video about moving the cg back and the Kavan 5” tires next week https://youtu.be/HlfYWVLYHWY
I am all ears.... But gotta say a few of those landings were really NOT pretty... I don't care if it didn't bounce, some of those landings were on the threshold of catastrophe.

So what about the CG?

Mark R.

old_coastie
Oct 25, 2021, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
I am all ears.... But gotta say a few of those landings were really NOT pretty... I don't care if it didn't bounce, some of those landings were on the threshold of catastrophe.

So what about the CG?

Mark R.

old_coastie
Sorry,,, those last few we’re trying to drag the rear wheel, not land. I forgot to add an annotation noting that.
The cg for my Draco is crazy nose heavy with a 5500 6s all the way back- we played with adding 1 oz of weight to the tail which made the plane fly less Heavy or Behind the plane..

Quick Reply