Mar 21, 2021, 09:33 AM
Flying Hazard
Actually, the jet is 'airworthy' but I'm not bringing her out much now as I have her ready for a repaint and decals... don't want to spoil her! Hahahaha!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 28, 2021, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
An EDF jet is not an Extra. No wonder....
Nahhh.. he was doing just fine...

Accidents happen... it wasn't the sport flying.. it was actually a misperception that killed him. Happens to everybody if you fly long enough
Mar 28, 2021, 05:15 PM
Flying Hazard
Yes...

Also I am used to being able to abuse high alpha with jets that tolerate it very well (Su-35, Eurofighter, Gripen, MiG-29, etc).

The Hornet doesn't play in the same league.
Mar 29, 2021, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-4ever
And what's the noticeable difference compared to straight-wing stall according to you?

A stall is a stall, some designs handle it better than others.
Just answering the question here, I was told by someone who really does know what they were doing (unlike me) that if a swept-wing plane experiences a tip stall the centre of lift moves forward, so there is a tendency for the plane to pitch up which can exaggerate the stall. In the video the plane does seem to pitch up at the moment of stall but I'm not saying that's what happened here. Sympathies anyway, things like that make me happy I only fly models.
Mar 29, 2021, 06:52 PM
Flying Hazard
It's not a good idea to generalize the behaviour of CP in function of angle of attack, this is very dependant on aircraft configuration.

And still, typically when AoA gets into stall regions, the most common thing is the opposite of what you said, CP shifts aft and nose falls down.
But again, it totally depends on the aircraft layout.
Mar 30, 2021, 05:28 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Apr 07, 2021 at 09:10 AM.
Mar 30, 2021, 09:58 AM
Flying Hazard
2. But, as I said, the aerodynamics of the fullscale jet didn't totally translate to the model. The fullscale Hornet has stable dynamics up to 60 AoA if I recall correctly... this model DOESN'T.

3. Again, this is very airframe dependant. I can assure you the Hornet wants to dive nose-down at high angles of attack. Example: When executing a cobra, I keep full back-stick pressure and the jet will snap to 90 and then back to level on its own. It wouldn't go back to level if the CP remained ahead of CG. With a very neutrally balanced Su-35 on the other hand, one can notice the moment the transition happens, and CP actually moves forward with increasing AoA. At around 45-55 AoA (depending on CG placement) one has to stop pulling on the stick to hold high alpha and begin pushing the nose down instead, or otherwise, the jet's nose lifts on its own.

This said, NOTHING of this was happening in the stall shown in the video.
The jet just exceeds an angle limit, airflow detaches, vertical stabs get blanked out, losing lateral stabilization authority, then the jet simply ditches a wing and you can't do anything about it. At that point the jet's nose has a tendency to dive too, so for this particular Hornet case, I'd say that 'CP shifting back when stall occurs' applies.
Mar 30, 2021, 10:47 AM
Suspended Account
Last edited by Comrade_D; Apr 07, 2021 at 09:09 AM.
Mar 30, 2021, 11:03 AM
Flying Hazard
The override is the alpha limit.

But I was talking about my experience with model aircraft Su-35 and F-18.
Apr 01, 2021, 10:49 AM
F18 has a bad stall issue but they fly and look nice
Apr 01, 2021, 05:37 PM
Flying Hazard
Agree. It has a very narrow flight envelope but it performs very well inside of it.

Quick Reply