Thread Tools
Mar 16, 2021, 11:19 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Old school throwback - F—18


Thought you all might enjoy this. I originally designed this in 1979 back in my Bluff Cove days, one among many jet-type PSS gliders I made back then. I built a bunch of these and even sold plans for them too... five bucks!!! It’s all wood, covered with Monokote.

Fast forward to the mid-90s, I decided to build one more for fun and make it more interesting with a very narrow fuselage, longer nose and some other changes including micro dual aileron servos and dual elevator servos. I got it 90% done and stuck it in a box. Oh and I still had the original landing skid from the long-gone first plane lying around for some reason, so incorporated that into the new one, along with a bottom hatch.

I dug it out and finished it in 2010, flew it a couple of times, and displayed it at home until now. Now, it’s time to fly the cr**out of it!! Installed some nice MKS aileron servos and re-maidened it at Banos last weekend. Still working out the CG and playing with the “taileron” mixing, because why not!

Let the old school good times roll!!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2021, 12:45 AM
Registered User
gp49's Avatar
And it flies very well too!

Here is the proof:


Los Banos, March 13, 2021 - Rick flying his own design pss (1 min 9 sec)
Mar 17, 2021, 12:48 AM
That friggin Laird Guy
TFLG's Avatar
I remember seeing this or something similar at Bluff around 1980. I was still flying a Wanderer at the time lol But not long after that I made my first PSS ship. It was a F-15. First one flew terrible, but #2 flew not too bad.
Mar 17, 2021, 07:56 AM
Registered User
Very nice do you still have plans available
Mar 17, 2021, 11:02 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Marek, thanks for sharing!

TFLG, we MUST have crossed paths at some point. Those were some awesome times at Bluff and people were trying all kinds of new ideas and designs -- we saw everything from converted power and U-control (like Jr. Noblers) to homemade PSS designs by the dozens to Star Wars X-wings, foam 747 combat planes, wingerons, canards, swept-forward wings, big racers, and more. A few of us got together to make the road trip up to Santa Cruz and compete in the RCM trophy races a few times too. A host of memorable (and sometimes crazy) characters. Great times!

Tubalan, sadly the plans disappeared at some point over the years, thanks for your interest!
Last edited by rjtw; Mar 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
Mar 17, 2021, 11:20 AM
That friggin Laird Guy
TFLG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtw
Marek, thanks for sharing!

TFLG, we MUST have crossed paths at some point. Those were some awesome times at Bluff and people were trying all kinds of new ideas and designs -- we saw everything from converted power and U-control (like Jr. Noblers) to homemade PSS designs by the dozens to Star Wars X-wings, foam 747 combat planes, wingerons, big racers, and more. A few of us got together to make the road trip up to Santa Cruz and compete in the RCM trophy races a few times too. A host of memorable (and sometimes crazy) characters. Great times!

Tubalan, sadly the plans disappeared at some point over the years, thanks for your interest!
I flew Bluff nearly every day starting in the early to mid 80's. I flew there sporadically in the early 80's but by 83 I was flying there near daily. I worked at Los Verdes golf course and would hit Bluff after work any day the wind was blowing. I remember the Noblers and I definitely remember an F-18. It was one of the planes that got me into PSS. I also remember those 747 dept store foam jobs. fun times!

Carlski also has an F-18 design, he may still have the plans on CAD. might be worth checking with him tubalan.
Mar 17, 2021, 12:20 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Well, you've encouraged me to dig out some old F-18 pictures! I started flying in 1976 and practically grew up at Bluff. I was a fixture there too until going off to college in the early 80s so it sounds like we just missed each other!

The first picture, with the white airplane, was at the original landing zone which was later taken over and covered by a giant house at the edge of the cliff. A few years later that house caused the entire bluff to slip (and the road above with it) causing a permanent road closure and a flurry of lawsuits. That house and a few more ended up getting demolished from the ground instability.

I just remembered "gully runs" too. A water main burst a carved out a huge gully right down the middle of the cliff. We used to fly down through it, below ground level. Crazy!!
Last edited by rjtw; Mar 17, 2021 at 12:50 PM.
Mar 17, 2021, 12:46 PM
That friggin Laird Guy
TFLG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtw
Well, you've encouraged me to dig out some old F-18 pictures! I started flying in 1976 and practically grew up at Bluff. I was a fixture there too until going off to college in the early 80s so it sounds like we just missed each other!

The first picture, with the white airplane, was at the original landing zone which was later taken over and covered by a giant house at the edge of the cliff. A few years later that house caused the entire bluff to slip (and the road above with it) causing a permanent road closure and a flurry of lawsuits. That house and a few more ended up getting demolished from the ground instability.

I just remembered "gully runs" too. A water main burst a carved out a huge gully right down the middle of the cliff. We used to fly down through it, below ground level. Crazy!!
We did gully runs too. We used to put a line of construction tape across the gully and fly under it. When we were feeling brave we would do it inverted.


Here's some really crappy Bluff videos from the mid 80s

A good day at Bluff Cove (4 min 12 sec)


Bluff Cove and my Zero 1987 (3 min 38 sec)
Mar 17, 2021, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Yes, inverted!! EXACTLY!!
Great videos and perfect soundtrack!!
Last edited by rjtw; Mar 17, 2021 at 03:26 PM.
Mar 18, 2021, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Bluff cove


The good old days at Bluff Cove
Here are pictures of the regular local slopers in mid 80s
The black and silver spitfire and the black aircrobra are mine.
Both were early PSS Slopescale by Brian Lair and Paul Masura.
Also in the background is Marty of Cliffhanger Model . And looks
like Brian Lair is sitting, can't see his face but pretty sure it's him
Mar 18, 2021, 07:37 PM
Registered User

Bluff cove


The good old days at Bluff Cove
Here are pictures of the regular local slopers in mid 80s
The black and silver spitfire and the black aircrobra are mine.
Both were early PSS Slopescale by Brian Lair and Paul Masura.
Also in the background is Marty of Cliffhanger Model . And looks
like Brian Lair is sitting, can't see his face but pretty sure it's him
Mar 18, 2021, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by phangi65
The good old days at Bluff Cove
Here are pictures of the regular local slopers in mid 80s
The black and silver spitfire and the black aircrobra are mine.
Both were early PSS Slopescale by Brian Lair and Paul Masura.
Also in the background is Marty of Cliffhanger Model . And looks
like Brian Lair is sitting, can't see his face but pretty sure it's him
Jerrys car in the background heck ya!
Great pics!!!
Tom and I flew Lyndon Songs AGC F16s and built alot of other stuff
I drank alot of beer there out of a Pepsi can
Mar 18, 2021, 11:58 PM
Registered User
Old man Randall ocasionally flies one of Jerry's old F20 planes hollow balsa wing with the glass fuse
Mar 19, 2021, 08:58 AM
Registered User
Jerry Tucker and his F20
One of the best old timer pilot.
Mar 19, 2021, 10:19 AM
That friggin Laird Guy
TFLG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsteve
Jerrys car in the background heck ya!
Great pics!!!
Tom and I flew Lyndon Songs AGC F16s and built alot of other stuff
I drank alot of beer there out of a Pepsi can
Parts is parts....
I think the blue F-16 might be you.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Ridge Rat - old school design, new school tweak bracesport Slope 53 Aug 22, 2020 12:57 AM
Video Old school meets new school! FPV on a balsa glow bird C6 Aviation FPV Talk 11 May 12, 2020 07:00 PM
Discussion When old school meets new school crashEMhard Classic Pattern Flying 2 Jul 25, 2019 07:54 AM
Discussion Composite Build.....Old School meets New School Mozella 3D Printed Planes 12 May 30, 2019 09:26 AM
Discussion Old school vs new school Snoopy47 Radios 23 Nov 14, 2018 03:15 AM