This thread is privately moderated by Mk9, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 14, 2021, 06:17 PM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Build Log

Mini 3D-printed Avro Vulcan (pusher version).

This is a half sized, pusher version of the full size 50mm EDF design Dominic has done. It's now added to the Cults package.
Without a build guide so far, ask for help here and we'll try and step you through:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...ale-950mm-span

135g AUW, printed in LW-PLA, no infill required.
Battery is 350mah 2S, and the motor is a Turnigy D1104-4000kv, sadly not in stock atm. Hopefully there are many other options.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushles...04-4000kv.html

There are only videos blustery conditions, but she handles them quite well. Have now had one flight in calm conditions and she flew really well, but probably still a bit too fast for small indoor venues. Flight time is upwards of 5 minutes.

A gentle discus launch grasping the strong point of the wing/fuse join is the way to launch. NOT, as shown in the first video below:
RC 3d-printed mini Vulcan maiden flight (3 min 51 sec)

like this!:
3d-printed mini Vulcan at KAMS Warbird Day 2021 (2 min 41 sec)
Last edited by Mk9; May 03, 2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Update, added video link showing recommended launch technique
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2021, 01:01 AM
gke
gke
May be a prospect for indoor flying or too quick? It will be good to see a video when you get to it.
Mar 16, 2021, 10:06 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
May be a prospect for indoor flying or too quick? It will be good to see a video when you get to it.
See above...with a big venue and a skilled pilot it will be OK, but it is quite quick. I suspect a flight controller would make it amazing...
Last edited by Mk9; May 03, 2021 at 07:20 AM.
Mar 16, 2021, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk9
Very nice .... was looking forward to the video ... but ouch

Looks like the 50% is actually quite close to getting a 35mm EDF in ... my plan was a 70.5% but with a little adjustment it could be nearer to 50% and use the EDF part as just a light frame.
This is how my EDF looks in the Mini Vulcan centre piece....
Mar 17, 2021, 08:08 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Hmmm, how does the motor attach to the fan shroud? Got any pics or scale drawings?
Mar 17, 2021, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk9
Hmmm, how does the motor attach to the fan shroud? Got any pics or scale drawings?
It is just an EDF - main part is 36.6mm, front flute 44mm, 27.2mm long and motor sticks out the back a little (8mm).

I just put that into a shape in tinkercad and moved it over the mini vulcan centre part to see how far off it was.

This was planned for my 70.5% version but it may be better to make it smaller and adapt the central part so that the plane is smaller and lighter.

At 60% and the EDF brought to the from of the part it just about works so maybe I scale the mini up by 10%

Mark
Mar 17, 2021, 05:55 PM
gke
gke

Two Part Micro - Almost

This is feasible. I have not lined up everything perfectly but as suggested elsewhere you can avoid printing support for the tip by inserting the control surfaces. My printer is a small bed ANet A6. I have printed a small Horten IX in the same way.

Just used TinkerCAD so nothing sophisticated.

Printing it now to see .

Greg
Mar 18, 2021, 04:46 PM
gke
gke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
This is feasible. I have not lined up everything perfectly but as suggested elsewhere you can avoid printing support for the tip by inserting the control surfaces. My printer is a small bed ANet A6. I have printed a small Horten IX in the same way.

Printing it now to see .

Greg
Basic idea seems OK but as the wing has some dihedral scaffolding/support is still printed. Placing the wing vertically, for printing purposes, means support being printed for the inboard end of the wing which is not ideal.

So in summary single piece wings and a single piece fuselage makes sense but otherwise it becomes needlessly complicated. Scraping out the internal ducting may save some weight but may have to be replaced (unlikely) by some fill.

Fill width elevons would also make sense although not a scale look.

Still a good little flyer Dom.

Back to flying for me on the slopes next .

Greg
Last edited by gke; Mar 18, 2021 at 04:52 PM.
Mar 18, 2021, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke

Printing it now to see .

Greg
How's it going?

I have put the wings together with control surfaces and joiners in Tinkercad so I have STL files to print - they will fit on my A20T OK but I am scaling up 120%
Mar 18, 2021, 04:58 PM
gke
gke
Quote:
Originally Posted by modellermark
How's it going?

I have put the wings together with control surfaces and joiners in Tinkercad so I have STL files to print - they will fit on my A20T OK but I am scaling up 120%
We must both have been typing at the same time . Check out my post above. The wings at 120% will certainly fit but do a preview of where the support will be printed. I think I would just take the cost of the support for the tip overhang and print the control surfaces separately. I have been getting print estimates of 27gm for a full wing and that is with PLA!

My "plan" is to do a 1S battery version and push the limits indoor flying but I will almost definitely need to find some LW. Its all fun though.

Cheers
Greg
Last edited by gke; Mar 18, 2021 at 05:41 PM.
Mar 18, 2021, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gke
We must both have been typing at the same time . Check out my post above. The wings at 120% will certainly fit but do a preview of where the support will be printed. I think I would just take the cost of the support for the tip overhang and print the control surfaces separately. I have been getting print estimates of 31gm for a wing and control surfaces and that is with PLA!

My "plan" is to do a 1S battery version and push the limits indoor flying but I will almost definitely need to find some LW. Its all fun though.

Cheers
Greg
I wasn't planning on allowing any support as it shouldn't need it, ,certainly not for just the wing.

My 120% size (of the mini that is) has a target weight of 43 to 44g in PLA using 2% quarter cubic or octet infill.

I will try it when i get chance
Mar 18, 2021, 05:48 PM
gke
gke
Quote:
I wasn't planning on allowing any support as it shouldn't need it, ,certainly not for just the wing.

My 120% size (of the mini that is) has a target weight of 43 to 44g in PLA using 2% quarter cubic or octet infill.

I will try it when i get chance
Its the stepped trailing edge of the wing that I believe causes the need for support but full span elevons, which I will do, then it all becomes a lot simpler.

Cheers
Mar 19, 2021, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk9
This is a half sized, pusher version of the full size 50mm EDF design Dominic has done. It's now added to the Cults package.
135g AUW, printed in LW-PLA, no infill required.
Battery is 350mah 2S, and the motor is a Turnigy D1104-4000kv, sadly not in stock atm. Hopefully there are many other options.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/brushles...04-4000kv.html

We've had one flight in blustery conditions, but she flew quite well. Flight time should be upwards of 5 minutes.
Hi
Not seeing tubes in the STLs for the wing spars - did you just add them later by boring holes in the body / wings (I do see a flat internal plate) or am I missing some thing here?
Thanks
Mark
Mar 19, 2021, 12:19 PM

Coming along

Made a start on my 60% version (thats 120% of this 50% Mini Vulcan) ... a Midi Vulcan?.... and the printing is going OK.

The fin prints a bit odd - it is like 3 sections joined together so it creates thinner areas along the joins - sure there is a setting somewhere in Cura to help with that.

I had to XH558 the fin - hope you like it

The new EDF holder that I added a groove for the motor wires to exit forwards is printing at the moment then a spool change should be due with the main part of the fuzelage to print.

After that there will just be 2 parts left to print - left and right wings which include all control surfaces ... so from 15 parts to 3 .. will be interesting to see if it will print OK
Mar 20, 2021, 12:55 AM
Mk9
Mk9
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi
Not seeing tubes in the STLs for the wing spars - did you just add them later by boring holes in the body / wings (I do see a flat internal plate) or am I missing some thing here?
Thanks
Mark
Ah - yes - no carbon in the small one! You might be better scaling down the larger wing. Or sandwich some depron strips either side of the carbon, and then glue them in?

Quick Reply