Top Tic Threads!

Posts are the life blood of any forum. In this story I share with you a historic figure in the RCGroups forum - Tic!! Here are some threads from an often misunderstood genius.

Splash

Threads By Tic

Often misunderstood and yet his humor and RC passion have stood the test of time. I am talking about RCGroups user Tic!

I think I have been aware of Tic as long as I have been on RCG and that is a long time for me and even longer time for Tic. With over 16,000 posts he has created cool threads, thrown out his own brand of RC humor and more.

At a big week long meeting in Oregon about the site we threw out the idea of letting Tic moderate every Tuesday. We were just kidding but the fact it made it on the white board is an honor in itself!

Fun Tic Threads

I thought I would feature some of his tope threads, fun photos and more.

FLYING WINGS: the scourge of RC

anti glow pilot rally planned

What is a "reasonable"amount of planes to own?

Grumpy old men at flying clubs

Tic Moderates Tuesdays

My pick for best RC airplane 2017

How big do I need to go to fly a cat (this post was a joke)

Why does everyone have to have a Mustang?

A warning to beginners: GET OUT NOW

How many RCGroup members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Mar 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM..
Mar 12, 2021, 06:41 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Sadly, the "LA street gangs with zagis" post was lost during the great server crash of 2000 IIRC... I got some heat for that one
Mar 12, 2021, 11:12 PM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic View Post
Sadly, the "LA street gangs with zagis" post was lost during the great server crash of 2000 IIRC... I got some heat for that one
I remember that thread as being a great source of entertainment!
Mar 13, 2021, 10:31 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
As an old glow flyer who switched to the quiet/dark side in 2000, the anti glow demonstration sounds like a hoot! Sorry I missed it when posted....
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Mar 13, 2021, 03:06 PM
Sokol
I am a Zagi fan , and will be for a long time !
Mar 13, 2021, 03:49 PM
No mention of tic's time in the penalty box, or the many flagrant fouls. I'm just glad he's back in circulation.

Andy
Mar 13, 2021, 04:16 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Yes, one of my most flagrant fouls that resulted in a warning was suggesting someone put their burned up ESC in the microwave for 10 seconds to fix it. I think the detail I went into is what caused the warning, telling the user the microwave should be on medium power and nuked for 10 seconds only... no more, no less. The moderators fear was that the noobie might actually try it
Mar 13, 2021, 06:29 PM
I thought everyone knew you had to use the defrost setting. I have more than one cheap ESC with frosty looking solder joints.
Mar 14, 2021, 09:38 AM
It took me a short while to figure Tic out .... and to understand what his name meant. The Zagi with razor blades was a true Tic classic.

Next Tuesday Tic, next Tuesday you are up to bat.
Mar 14, 2021, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun View Post
I thought everyone knew you had to use the defrost setting. I have more than one cheap ESC with frosty looking solder joints.
I found it better to use the convection oven setting.
Mar 14, 2021, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo View Post
I found it better to use the convection oven setting.
Yes. Works great for heat shrink tubing too!
Mar 14, 2021, 10:47 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I quit reading Dilbert years ago - I decided that the problem with work was that Dilbert was funny, and my boss was one of many bosses who thought Scott Adams must be the pen name of someone in our office. So, I switched to reading Tic's threads.
Tic's threads got me through to retirement.

WRT to using a microwave on "defrost" to dry out electronics... Microwave power settings work just like ESCs - they can only run at full power. They get reduced power by changing the duty cycle down from 100% in steps of 10%. A full cycle is 10 second (e.g. 30% is on for 3 seconds and off for 7). So setting to defrost (30% on most microwaves) for 10 seconds is just like setting it on full for 3 seconds.

The moderators were probably concerned about giving incorrect instruction on the proper use of a microwave to a newbie. The proper way to reduce power to use a microwave to dry out electronics is to disable the door interlock, so the the excess microwaves can escape through the open door.

- Roger
Mar 15, 2021, 06:15 AM
No class, no smarts, and ugly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr View Post
The proper way to reduce power to use a microwave to dry out electronics is to disable the door interlock, so the the excess microwaves can escape through the open door.
May have done that in my youth in a large field with an extension cord and a few cans of Auanet hairspray.

Quick Reply