May 07, 2021, 03:17 PM
I review RC Products
I have mixed feelings on how SAFE is used, but to each their own, so long as they do not hurt themselves, others, or property.

For me, I think SAFE 100% has its place, like any tool. How it is used it something completely different.
  • Use SAFE for hand launches (No brainer here)
  • Bridge the gap to transition flying competency levels, but not massive gaps
  • Flip it on if a bug flies into your eye or if the sun peaks out from behind out of nowhere blinding you for a few seconds
I remember clearly what it was like as a complete noob way back in 2011. I HAD to fly a P-51 and the Hobbyzone Champ was super lame. Luckily the guy at the hobby shop was convincing enough that I left with the Champ.

Had I left with the P-51, I likely would not be here today as that was just too much plane for me to handle at the time. I feel the same way about someone that is a beginner trying to fly this plane via SAFE. There are too many things that can go wrong too quickly. However, if someone gets really good on a 4-channel trainer, they may be able to handle this via the help of SAFE.

After speaking with 100's of beginners over the years via my YouTube channel and ancillary Social Media accounts for the channel, I realize that there is a massive discrepancy between people trying to learn the hobby. Some people are naturals, while others just do not have the ability to consistently fly something very challenging like a 6S EDF Jet, no matter how much effort they put into it.

My point is, find what makes you happy in the hobby, but also do not get ahead of yourself. Earn your path with learning and hard work and use, but don't abuse, the tools you have available to help you along your journey

GB
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2021, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden
I have mixed feelings on how SAFE is used, but to each their own, so long as they do not hurt themselves, others, or property.

For me, I think SAFE 100% has its place, like any tool. How it is used it something completely different.
  • Use SAFE for hand launches (No brainer here)
  • Bridge the gap to transition flying competency levels, but not massive gaps
  • Flip it on if a bug flies into your eye or if the sun peaks out from behind out of nowhere blinding you for a few seconds
I remember clearly what it was like as a complete noob way back in 2011. I HAD to fly a P-51 and the Hobbyzone Champ was super lame. Luckily the guy at the hobby shop was convincing enough that I left with the Champ.

Had I left with the P-51, I likely would not be here today as that was just too much plane for me to handle at the time. I feel the same way about someone that is a beginner trying to fly this plane via SAFE. There are too many things that can go wrong too quickly. However, if someone gets really good on a 4-channel trainer, they may be able to handle this via the help of SAFE.

After speaking with 100's of beginners over the years via my YouTube channel and ancillary Social Media accounts for the channel, I realize that there is a massive discrepancy between people trying to learn the hobby. Some people are naturals, while others just do not have the ability to consistently fly something very challenging like a 6S EDF Jet, no matter how much effort they put into it.

My point is, find what makes you happy in the hobby, but also do not get ahead of yourself. Earn your path with learning and hard work and use, but don't abuse, the tools you have available to help you along your journey

GB

Now this is the way to give advice to new pilots. This is much better than the condescending remarks others have posted. Thank you.
May 08, 2021, 08:16 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesp
Not sure you understood my last suggestion. Buy the ic2 connector from one of the people that cut them off their ESC as they don’t use it anyhow. That way you can use that connector to make your own adaptor and use your batteries and plane without changing the connector. Or maybe I did not understand your connector problem as I am not into smart batteries (yet).
I think the problem is that he bought gen2 SMART packs and without the SMART charge lead he can't charge them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurumonster
I would, but everything EC2 is backordered too. So I could buy a bunch of batteries with EC2, but have no way to charge them.
Your LHS doesn't have the regular blue EC2 connectors in stock? That is a weird one, they should carry those.
Then you could build a charge adapter for your current charger and charge non SMART batteries.

The plane has zero SMART telemetry data from the battery anyway so don't worry about buying regular packs.

Would have to verify with Jason M or Horizon but I seem to remember somewhere reading that the G2 battery internal balancing circuit was good enough to handle being charged on a regular LiPo charger without a balance lead.

Horizon really screwed the pooch on this release if they're selling G2 batteries with no way to get the adapter to be able to charge them. Little bit of an important detail they seem to have overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
New batteries arrived! New rain forecasts for the weekend ��
Same here, I've now got 3 of the new Tattu 3S 850mAh 45C packs and it's been crazy windy here and rained yesterday and I think there's more in the forecast.
Last edited by CR5; May 08, 2021 at 08:30 AM.
May 08, 2021, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportpilot Marv
Now this is the way to give advice to new pilots.
Agree 100%.

Gene K
May 08, 2021, 08:55 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportpilot Marv
Now this is the way to give advice to new pilots. This is much better than the condescending remarks others have posted. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Agree 100%.

Gene K
I shouldn't have to sugar coat everything, I thought I was talking to adults.
GB said the same thing just added a little sweetener for the sensitive among us.

I'll do my best to stop trying to help people.
If guys would rather learn everything the hard way then cry about it I guess I just have to accept that. I forgot that experience means nothing these days because everyone already knows everything.

I still stand behind my statement that if you need SAFE for any aspect of your flight you're flying a plane beyond your skill level and should be flying something easier until your skills improve. If you're already on a trainer and are having trouble then get help from someone with some experience.
SAFE is blind, it can't save your plane from destruction.
Crashing is part of flying, you need to accept that and stop thinking that a switch on your radio is a guarantee of success.
With the risk of crashing your mind will focus harder and you'll learn faster, and if SAFE hides all your stupid stick inputs and overcorrections how do you learn? Your mind sees it doing what it thinks it's supposed to and thinks it's doing it right. Turn off the crutch and let your mind work.

Think of it like this,
In school did you learn more from someone giving you all the answers or did you learn more working through the problems and figuring out the solutions yourself?
Can you still remember what it was like to think?

I'm all out of sugar so don't expect anything sweet from me. Ben Shapiro said it best "facts don't care about your feelings". Unfortunately in todays woke world all many people seem to care about is the fluff, never the substance. It's always the easiest and laziest way to do something, always the least amount of effort required to get things done well enough, never done right (flying).
SAFE is just another way to fulfill that reality with many people.

It's just like traction control, stability control, auto braking, or lane departure warnings in a car. Great ideas that could have made things so much better but instead too many people use the advancements as an excuse to never actually learn to drive a car correctly and also so they can spend more time with their eyes on their phone instead of the road.
Accidents don't seem to be going down as a result of all the tech, and it's because there are people that are so lazy and entitled they think it's their right to drive and not a privilege they need to earn. Just like all those nanny aids let people with no business behind the wheel of a 500+ hp car drive on public roads somewhat safely, SAFE lets those same people fly planes beyond their skill level. No big deal when they fly on a club field or some abandoned field somewhere but many think there's nothing wrong with flying in a school field when people are walking around.
And if it wasn't for all the complaints about flying in a school yard/residential we wouldn't even be a dot on the FAA radar, but instead public complaints about people flying where they shouldn't has gotten us all kinds of new restrictions.
Last edited by CR5; May 08, 2021 at 09:30 AM.
May 08, 2021, 10:35 AM
Somehow something bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
I shouldn't have to sugar coat everything, I thought I was talking to adults.
GB said the same thing just added a little sweetener for the sensitive among us.

I'll do my best to stop trying to help people.
If guys would rather learn everything the hard way then cry about it I guess I just have to accept that. I forgot that experience means nothing these days because everyone already knows everything.

I still stand behind my statement that if you need SAFE for any aspect of your flight you're flying a plane beyond your skill level and should be flying something easier until your skills improve. If you're already on a trainer and are having trouble then get help from someone with some experience.
SAFE is blind, it can't save your plane from destruction.
Crashing is part of flying, you need to accept that and stop thinking that a switch on your radio is a guarantee of success.
With the risk of crashing your mind will focus harder and you'll learn faster, and if SAFE hides all your stupid stick inputs and overcorrections how do you learn? Your mind sees it doing what it thinks it's supposed to and thinks it's doing it right. Turn off the crutch and let your mind work.

Think of it like this,
In school did you learn more from someone giving you all the answers or did you learn more working through the problems and figuring out the solutions yourself?
Can you still remember what it was like to think?

I'm all out of sugar so don't expect anything sweet from me. Ben Shapiro said it best "facts don't care about your feelings". Unfortunately in todays woke world all many people seem to care about is the fluff, never the substance. It's always the easiest and laziest way to do something, always the least amount of effort required to get things done well enough, never done right (flying).
SAFE is just another way to fulfill that reality with many people.

It's just like traction control, stability control, auto braking, or lane departure warnings in a car. Great ideas that could have made things so much better but instead too many people use the advancements as an excuse to never actually learn to drive a car correctly and also so they can spend more time with their eyes on their phone instead of the road.
Accidents don't seem to be going down as a result of all the tech, and it's because there are people that are so lazy and entitled they think it's their right to drive and not a privilege they need to earn. Just like all those nanny aids let people with no business behind the wheel of a 500+ hp car drive on public roads somewhat safely, SAFE lets those same people fly planes beyond their skill level. No big deal when they fly on a club field or some abandoned field somewhere but many think there's nothing wrong with flying in a school field when people are walking around.
And if it wasn't for all the complaints about flying in a school yard/residential we wouldn't even be a dot on the FAA radar, but instead public complaints about people flying where they shouldn't has gotten us all kinds of new restrictions.
Iíll start by saying I agree with a lot of what youíre saying. Iím a relatively new RC guy having got into the hobby a year or so ago, but SAFE seemed more of a liability to me personally. A couple times I tossed my 64mm F15 into the air and couldnít get it back to me because all the max deflections were inhibited by SAFE, almost lost it before realizing I left SAFE on and promptly turned it off. That said, Iíve heard a lot of people really love having the safety button there to flick in the off chance they lose orientation. It happens to us all, even on planes I fly well. Maybe I caught a glint off the sun doing some 3D stuff kinda near some trees. Who knows. Is it worth paying the price of turning your plane into confetti just to say you didnít need SAFE? I donít know, maybe the comfort is nice. That said, I donít use it so maybe I still agree with most of what you said.

I think where we tend to disagree is when you start painting broad strokes with technology = bad and technology = people donít learn things. Itís an antiquated argument. Are you honestly anti-traction control? Please my dude. These technological advanced have helped, auto fatality and crash rates have been trending down for years, and people are safer. Dumbasses have been taking 500+hp cars out on the roads since the age of muscle cars and doing equally dumb things. Dumb people will always be around and I patently disagree technology has somehow enabled more dumbassery per capita.
May 08, 2021, 10:39 AM
Somehow something bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
I think the problem is that he bought gen2 SMART packs and without the SMART charge lead he can't charge them.

Your LHS doesn't have the regular blue EC2 connectors in stock? That is a weird one, they should carry those.
Then you could build a charge adapter for your current charger and charge non SMART batteries.

The plane has zero SMART telemetry data from the battery anyway so don't worry about buying regular packs.

Would have to verify with Jason M or Horizon but I seem to remember somewhere reading that the G2 battery internal balancing circuit was good enough to handle being charged on a regular LiPo charger without a balance lead.

Horizon really screwed the pooch on this release if they're selling G2 batteries with no way to get the adapter to be able to charge them. Little bit of an important detail they seem to have overlooked.

Same here, I've now got 3 of the new Tattu 3S 850mAh 45C packs and it's been crazy windy here and rained yesterday and I think there's more in the forecast.
Nothing in stock at LHS unfortunately. Major bummer.
May 08, 2021, 11:51 AM
Those who affirm "SAFE" in this thread know how difficult "SAFE" is to control.

ĒSAFEĒ≠safe ⇒ I think ĒSAFEĒ≒Stabilization .
May 08, 2021, 11:59 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurumonster
Any updates? I've been staring at my NiB A10 for a couple months now with no way to charge the Spektrum 850s with IC2. Kind of a major bummer.
If you can solder.
Look for EFLAEC203 for one battery and one device EC2 connector.
If they don't have that in stock there's a problem.
I don't know what I did with the IC2 that was on the plane when I bought it. Doesn't matter, it didn't have the center wire anyway.

What's the last you heard for an estimated time of that stuff being available?
May 09, 2021, 11:51 AM
Somehow something bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
If you can solder.
Look for EFLAEC203 for one battery and one device EC2 connector.
If they don't have that in stock there's a problem.
I don't know what I did with the IC2 that was on the plane when I bought it. Doesn't matter, it didn't have the center wire anyway.

What's the last you heard for an estimated time of that stuff being available?

LHS was telling me May. I walked in the other day right in the middle of someone ranting about the A10 and IC2 stock issue, I was like "don't mind if I join this rant!"
May 09, 2021, 11:57 AM
Electric
So the cousin and I are flying in the soccer field and every so often we get too close and get disoriented and takes a second to tell who is who. We end up flying opposite direction so we don't shadow each other..... but we then find out A-10's are attracted to each other like magnets! Try playing Warthog Chicken

I need a new paint scheme
May 09, 2021, 02:10 PM
one cant have too many planes
Quote:
So the cousin and I are flying in the soccer field and every so often we get too close and get disoriented and takes a second to tell who is who. We end up flying opposite direction so we don't shadow each other..... but we then find out A-10's are attracted to each other like magnets! Try playing Warthog Chicken

I need a new paint scheme
Another paint scheme may work. But there are also simpler ways. Here are a few suggestions: just some color tape at the e nd of the wings. One with and one without wheels. The most fun we had our our club was when one of the planes (was not A10) attached a tail (made of something slightly stronger than toilet paper) and the other were trying to cut it off with the prop. Hehe, the A10 doesnt have a prop but you could still use the tail idea to make one of them look different.
May 09, 2021, 07:35 PM
CR5
CR5
A-10 PYLON RACING!!!!

Now that would be fun!
We'd have to buy so many of them they'd never discontinue it,
May 11, 2021, 09:01 AM
CR5
CR5
Another flight on mine yesterday.
Once again, left handed launch and no SAFE, absolutely no drama at all. Use SAFE if you want but don't think it's a must do for a successful launch.
UMX A-10 twin 30mm (5 min 29 sec)
Last edited by CR5; May 11, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
May 11, 2021, 04:53 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Just picked up my Warthog this morning

Oops! I bought two My cousin is my flying buddy and I've been hearing him wishing for one so I'm going to tease him with mine! Then just when he's red in the face I'll open the trunk and ask him what's with all the jealously when you got your's right here!?!

Wanna go flying? You can show me that hotliner
Last edited by CR5; May 11, 2021 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply