Mar 10, 2021, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Skymaster 1/8 F-18 Hornet Rudders WTH

I recently acquired an older Skymaster F-18 Super Hornet E/F ARF model, I believe it is the 1/8th scale version (about 91" fuselage length).

Search as I might I could not find a reference to how to mount servos for the rudders anywhere? Not in the instruction manual, not in an RC Groups/RC Universe build thread, (none that I could find anyway), no you tube build video for this version, nada.

How in the world have you guys mounted your rudder servos on this ARF? There is no servo mount in the vertical stabilizers, no hatch on either side of the fin, no hard points for a control horn on the rudders themselves, no etchings or outlines on the fins at all, no allowance for a hidden direct drive set up. I am at a bit of a loss.

I have included pictures so you see what I am dealing with.

How would you go about mounting servos to control the rudders?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pictures, or descriptions. Until then I will continue to scratch a hole in my head.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2021, 10:47 PM
do the servos go in the fuselage and have rods coming up to the rudder itself like their larger one? notice the rods coming out of mine
Mar 11, 2021, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Nothin, no hole, no rods, no servo mounts inside.

it's like they gave me rudders with no plan on how to make them movable. I can't be the only one, just curious as to how others have addressed this before I start cutting.
Mar 11, 2021, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
The hole in the middle of the bushed mounting holes in the picture seems to be for servo wires, but there is no internal structure in the vertical stabilizer to mount a servo, and no hatch for a servo arm to protrude through?

I am perplexed.
Mar 11, 2021, 12:42 PM
possibly be like the 2m viperjet . would glue 2 pieces of plywood in from that opening to act as servo rail the install servo with arm facing top of fin and cut a slot into the fin for servo horn then cut a slot into the rudder for control horn. Can take a picture of viper fin i have and send when I get home from work
Mar 11, 2021, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
CG351, I will consider anything at this point.

I would love to see pictures of what you are describing.

You can even email the pictures if it is easier for you.

[email protected]

Thanks
Last edited by AAbdu; Mar 11, 2021 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
Mar 11, 2021, 02:26 PM
email with pics sent ...... will probably have to use a good metal gear mini servo
Mar 11, 2021, 04:11 PM
Thread OP
Ed,
What you see below is all that came through. I would love to see the pictures but the links do not open.

[cid:863AA227-BB39-4AC4-876A-B686EF635812]

[cid:2959DCD2-F35F-4BBC-9344-B5E2527DF580]

If you could resend I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you sir
Last edited by AAbdu; Mar 11, 2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
Mar 11, 2021, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Ah ha... Got it. Basically like most other jets just without the removable hatch to which the servo is usually mounted. Mount the servo in the fin and have the arm protrude out the side of the fin to actuate the rudder.

I did consider that option.
Mar 12, 2021, 03:38 PM
yes that should work
Mar 13, 2021, 01:29 PM
AAbdu,

We own the same airplane and I think I can help! However, I’m away from he workshop right now.

Basically, Hysol in a few small hard rails inside the vertical fin to screw the servos, then cut open a slot for the servo arm to extend outside the fin to attach the pushrod at the base of the rudder. I am using Savox SV-1260MG 111 oz-in 6v .065sec/60 deg in rudders and they just squeeze in there.

When I get home, I can take some pictures and we can talk more about the airplane. I hope this is helpful.

Steve
Mar 14, 2021, 09:35 PM
Thread OP
Steve,
That is tremendously helpful and similar to what Ed described. I would love to discuss the build with you. This is my first Skymaster build and I am actually quite surprised by a few things. Maybe it is just my kit but things like;

- No hatch or build out for the flap servos
- No hole or guide in the wing root for the aileron and flap servo wires, but a hole in the fuse root for them
- The aforementioned rudder set up
- Mine did not include the elevator bushings for the fuse sides, just a big sloppy hole
- Other unpleasant surprises that I know are coming

Perhaps that is just my kit and not indicative of all Skymaster kits. I know it is an old kit and I got it from a guy (unstarted)

Feel free to reach out to me when you are back in the lab, I would love to know how you addressed some of those issues and others and will gladly share my plans.

Thanks
Anthony
Last edited by AAbdu; Mar 15, 2021 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply