Mar 08, 2021, 11:48 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Build Log

WilNil Special

Willy Nillies is holding a building contest using their wing kits. This will be my entry. It is utilizing their Gentle Lady wing kit.
First night's work, the basic fuselage structure is framed up.

Contest Guidelines
- 6 categories
A) Best Scale model (civilian or military)
B) Best Original design
C) Best Modified WillyNillies.com kit
D) Best Multi-Wing design
E) People's choice
F) Best glider/sailplane
- All entries must weigh under 250 grams ready to fly
- All WillyNillies.com wing kits are currently available and eligible for participation. A minimum of 3 actual willynillies ribs must be used per wing panel. You may modify to add ailerons, slats, flaps or any other additional wing modifications as long as 3 willynillies.com wing ribs are used per panel.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2021, 12:03 AM
This is a cool idea from whatever point of view:
- parts from WN wrecks can be re-used
- creative builders get a nice platform to share their ideas
- Doug and Becky can sell some kits
- those who are still in doubt about the sub-250g models see some results which do not only work indoors
Looking forward to the entries and the results. Unfortunately, I cannot take part as I always use my own ribs
H.
Mar 11, 2021, 11:03 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Basic fuse framing is finished. On to the tail feathers,
Mar 16, 2021, 12:32 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Tail surfaces and outer wing panels complete. The outer wing panels utilize all of the ribs from the wing kit intended for the Gentle Lady's outer panels. Ribs were set perpendicular to the spar in plan view, allowing the chord change to dictate the leading and trailing edge tapers.
Mar 16, 2021, 12:44 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Now for the fun part! The wing center section. First I removed the material between the top and bottom spars on the outer panel root ribs. You will notice that the top spar had been left long and is made up of three 1/32" strips instead of a solid 3/32" piece. Three layers of 1/16" balsa were glued up with alternating grain directions, to create 3/16" balsa plywood. The center joiner was then cut from this material and the outer panels slid onto each end. I cut four wing jigs from some foamboard and tacked them to my bench with some hot glue. The wing assembly was then tacked to the top of the jigs to help keep everything aligned during assembly. Leading and trailing edge pieces were glued up by bending three layers of 1/32" balsa around another foamboard jig and left to dry. The center section utilizes stock ribs from the wing kit, modified with an added notch so they slide over the wing joiner. The ribs were added in place, and the spars were bent down along the top of the joiner. Once everything was squared up, all joints were locked down with some thin CA. I added a couple of scrap balsa blocks through the center at the LE and TE. These will have to be carved down to shape as I fit the wing and finish the turtledeck on the fuse.
Mar 16, 2021, 12:49 PM
That gullwing shape looks great!
Mar 16, 2021, 01:04 PM
Pro Hoarder
Very nice work.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 17, 2021, 08:38 AM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
The cowl was carved from a balsa block and hollowed out. The motor was then mounted. The motor is a Turnigy 1811-2000kv outrunner. The spinner I am using, at least for now, is a replacement spinner for the Electrifly Seawind. It's about 1" in diameter.
Mar 22, 2021, 12:47 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Landing gear is done. It was bent and soldered from 1/32" wire. Then cut in half. Each half slides into brass tubing anchored into the fuse. This way I can remove it if I ever have to replace or fix it. I can also cover the fuselage without the gear in the way.
Mar 22, 2021, 12:49 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
With the gear complete, I continued work on the top of the plane. The wing was jigged and glued into place. Then the top sheeting was fitted. Still needs some sanding. The open forward area will be the hatch. The receiver will get tucked under the wing and the servos will be accessed through the cockpit.
Mar 25, 2021, 12:37 PM
Dynamic RC
Thread OP
Final bit of framing is complete. Elevator was assembled and the wingtips added. The hatch was made by bending some 1/16" balsa over 2 bulkheads. A pin in the front and magnets at the rear will hold it in place. Now it's time to final sand everything and prep it for covering.
Mar 25, 2021, 12:52 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
You already got an award from me bro! Love it!
Mar 26, 2021, 03:37 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice! very 30s racer looking
Latest blog entry: In flight
Mar 31, 2021, 05:17 PM
Awesomeee:::Can't wait to see it covered
Apr 05, 2021, 02:02 PM
Really nice looking, I like this retro design

Quick Reply