Coming Soon from Ryan Aircraft - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 19, 2002, 04:52 PM

Coming Soon from Ryan Aircraft

Well, I suppose it's time to unveil my latest design. One thing this business has taught me is to endure (i.e. mostly ignore ) the constant lobbying for this warbird or that. In the month before Toledo I decided the time was ripe to build something new, and that sometime turned out to be a Grumman Wildcat.

This plane is a long-time favorite of mine, but I'd held off building one due to some of the challenging design issues, such as the mid-wing configuration, the extreme compound curvature of the chubby fuselage, the raised headliner-type turtledeck, and the stab that's mounted halfway up the vertical fin.

As it turns out, I was able to come up with solutions to all these issues, and I could hardly be happier with the end result.

So far I have 4 flights on the prototype, and it's a really sweet flyer. Flight handling and performance seem closest to the Hellcat, and it really looks nice in the air. Weather permitting, I'll get some more flights on it tomorrow, but right now the weather doesn't look all that promising. We can only hope...

Here's a link to the Wildcat page on my website:
http://home.fuse.net/ryan/f4f.html

The plans are to be published in an upcoming issue of Model Aviation, and a kit will be released a few months later. I'll share details as they become available.

Jim
Ryan Aircraft
http://home.fuse.net/ryan/
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2002, 05:13 PM
Bee-you-tee-ful
You da man!
Apr 19, 2002, 07:02 PM
D.G.B.
Jim just as your aircraft, MINT!!!!!!!! With planes like this you should be in business for a long time!!! Congradulations KOMET44
Apr 19, 2002, 11:06 PM
Looks Great!!!
Apr 20, 2002, 02:29 AM
Leave me alone!
Jim your planes are works of art. Do you ever sell the plans only, or just sell the kits?
Apr 20, 2002, 07:47 AM
TerryM

Fine Job

Another Fine Job Jim .

Another project for my todo list.
Keep up the good work.

Terry
Apr 20, 2002, 08:08 AM

Looks Great

Like your previous designs this one looks sweet. Mike
Apr 20, 2002, 11:42 AM
Official Boat Bum

SWEET!

Very nice indeed, Jim!!!! You stay busy, don't ya
Apr 20, 2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all your kind remarks, guys. You know, when asked which of my models I like best, my inclination is to say "the one I just finished". I'm pretty fickle that way.

Dreamer asked:
Do you ever sell the plans only, or just sell the kits?

I prefer not to compete directly with the magazines that publish my designs. My editor and I are in agreement that plans and kits tend to appeal to two different markets.

Plans for all my designs are available from the plans services of the magazines that published them. For the P-38, F6F and F8F, this is Model Airplane News' Air Age Plans Service (rcstore.com). For the F4U and P-47, it's Model Aviation's AMA Plans Service.

Good thing about building from plans is that I always wait 6 months to release the kit, so you can be the first guy on your block to build one.

Jim
Apr 20, 2002, 12:59 PM
Looks great Jim, but what about that landing gear????, a real nightmare to make..........just kidding, I'll be waiting along with everyone else for it..
Apr 20, 2002, 06:24 PM
Very nice Jim!!!!! Good choice for the new addition to the Ryan family of fighters.
Apr 20, 2002, 08:40 PM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Hi Jim, great plane, but have you ever thought about doing an enemy fighter to with the ailles.

P.S I've built your Hellcat from the Gordon Tarling kit, very nice indeed. Any idea as to when Gordon might be releasing your Corsair over here?
Apr 21, 2002, 01:23 PM
Gravity sucks.
Saw this beauty at Toledo.Very nice indeed!
Jim, I have my S400 Ki61 about 1/2 done so I can chase you around at the MidAm
Will send you some of that Ozcover Lite when I get time....

Mark Rittinger
Apr 21, 2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by stuart warne
Hi Jim, great plane, but have you ever thought about doing an enemy fighter to with the ailles.

Sure I've thought about it.

Seriously, while there are some Axis aircraft that appeal to me, none has captured my interest enough to make it to the building stage. At any given time I have a few projects simmering on the back burner. Given time constraints, I get to do about one new design per year. That being the case, my choice of "what to build next?" inevitably is a selfish one. After all, this is supposed to be fun.

P.S I've built your Hellcat from the Gordon Tarling kit, very nice indeed. Any idea as to when Gordon might be releasing your Corsair over here?

I would think soon, but you'll have to check with Gordon. I know they've built a prototype, and a kit should be available soon.
Apr 21, 2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by mrittinger
Jim, I have my S400 Ki61 about 1/2 done so I can chase you around at the MidAm

Cool! That should be a great flyer; the Ki.61 has the moments of a pattern plane; lots of wing area, very slight wing taper, and a nice long tail moment. Can't wait to see it.

Jim