Mar 07, 2021, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Noob Introduction

Jack Montague here in Pocatello ID. Iím 73 and am decades overdue to get back into building balsa scale model airplanes. Recovering from a week COVID stay at hospital and discovered this group. My first project, a Dumas L-19 should arrive in about a week. Have read and reread Pat Tritleís build articles and canít wait to get started and hopefully rejuvenate and take the hobby to the next level.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2021, 05:39 AM
Welcome Jack
With care the Dumas L-19 should be easy enough to build but how neat it ends up and how well you can make it fly will depend on how much of the old skills are still there, however the one thing that I have found that does get better with age is patience.
Mar 08, 2021, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
Agreed 100% on the patience. I enjoyed immensely the building process of every Guillow’s & Comet model I made, but the goal was always to fly it. My goal now is to build the most beautiful and at the same time lightest airframe a can to create a great flying L-19. I also just discovered that Ambroid, my old standby glue is no longer available. So new challenges and relearning curve here I come.
Mar 10, 2021, 06:03 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I believe happy hobby https://www.happyhobby.com/hobb_html/ambroid.htm still carries Ambroid
Mar 19, 2021, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the lead, tic. I’ve gone ahead and got some Testers and picked up some Titebond Original to give a try. I’ve been using Titebond III for a couple years on woodworking projects with good results and it seems a lot of builder are having success with it. It’s cheap and readily accessible so figured I’d at least test it. Now if the kit would just get here. 3 days overdue at this point.
Mar 19, 2021, 04:56 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Well o.k. but nothing else smells like Ambroid!
Mar 20, 2021, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
I know, but that’s one of the reason for trying the Titebond route. I was diagnosed with a rare form of pulmonary fibrosis a couple years ago. Spent 5 days in hospital about a month ago with COVID and have been on oxygen since. If the Titebond works it might be the safest for me to use.
Mar 20, 2021, 06:19 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Understood. I don't think many use ambroid any longer as better adhesives have been on the market for quite awhile now
Mar 20, 2021, 07:32 PM
Recommend you do a "build-thread" on the Scale Kit/Scratch Build forum here on RCG, you'll just take pictures as you go along and upload them with descriptions of what you are doing, ask for advice where needed and enjoy having company as you build the model. Recommend you study the plans and instructions carefully and make a sequential list of what ever glues, tools, materials you will need. You will probably need to order things from online suppliers and will want to have them on hand when you need them. Recommend you err on the side of lightness in wing loading vs trying to make a museum quality model with inlayed balsa, etc. It does make sense to beef up landing gear mountings and use some basswood stringers in the rear fuselage to prevent accidental crushing of flimsy balsa stringers during handling. Get advice in choosing the proper size/capacity motor, speed control, battery pack and servos and situating items to minimize need for nose ballast. Look up Pat's build thread for the L-19, if there is one, using the search block and study it before starting the build. The L-19 is a good choice as a "first build in a long time". BTW I like Parklite iron on covering and Callie Graphics.
Mar 22, 2021, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Montague
Jack Montague here in Pocatello ID. Iím 73 and am decades overdue to get back into building balsa scale model airplanes. Recovering from a week COVID stay at hospital and discovered this group. My first project, a Dumas L-19 should arrive in about a week. Have read and reread Pat Tritleís build articles and canít wait to get started and hopefully rejuvenate and take the hobby to the next level.
get well, jack, it's good to see you among us again.
Mar 22, 2021, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Second read through Pat Tritle’s original build log mentioned many similar points along with updated power/electronics suggestions. Already bought a Spektrum AR410 receiver which is compatible with my DX6-G2 radio but best wait and research more until I get the plans in front of me before getting too deep with things that may not be optimum Its now a week week over due on the kit and a day over due to my request for tracking #. Just as well, I found my 40-50 year old X-acto set today and it seems #2 & #5 handles are MIA and not a single useable blade. Nice wood box though. Lol. BTW I see you live near my old neighborhoods. I grew up in Lakewood, Long Beach, Arcadia etc. Thanks again for the good suggestions.
Mar 22, 2021, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the well wishes Johnnycort4.
Mar 23, 2021, 01:00 PM
Good for you! With the "internet" these days, it's a whole new experience.

Quick Reply