Jul 05, 2021, 02:50 PM
somewhere in South America
Short video by ChocoFly about the GPS championships in Switzerland (with dramatic music)
GPS Triangle Swiss Championship - Scale (3 min 12 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2021, 02:39 AM
launch low, fly high
One should really step back, and think a bit about just what Dean Gradwell has done for XC, and then, GPS racing. I tip my hat to him. I remember Dean setting up a display about RC XC flying at various events in the distant past (Visalia, NATs, etc.). Despite the rather low interactions, he continued to provide "guidance" to the uninitiated.

The first (and quite sadly the only time due to my personal circumstances) I attended his event at Montegue, I came to appreciate just what a good person he is.

Montegue should be on everyones bucket list. I tip my hat to Dean.
Aug 11, 2021, 08:09 PM

GPS Triangle Flying?

Dean, I'm trying to get into triangle flying. Which of the following would you recommend: Swift, Sparrow, Snipe, Raven or Finch?
I'll be using the Albatross App. Any information would be helpful. Thanks, AL
Aug 11, 2021, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afjuly
Dean, I'm trying to get into triangle flying. Which of the following would you recommend: Swift, Sparrow, Snipe, Raven or Finch?
I'll be using the Albatross App. Any information would be helpful. Thanks, AL
Raven + Snipe is top of the line in capabilities.

Swift + Swift/Sparrow RF is one step below Raven but you can piece together a system to fit in more limited space. If you add in the TEK sensor you are almost up to the price of a Raven.. You would still also need the Snipe.

Sparrow is the lower speed GPS compared to Raven or Swift.
Latest blog entry: Is-4 Jastrzab Build
Aug 12, 2021, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
First thank you Joe for the kind words. I have had log in problems that are finally taken care of.

Everything Michael said is correct.

Which GPS system to buy somewhat depends on what class you want to fly.

The Snipe (ground station) can be used for all airborne units.

The Sparrow (airborne) is designed for Light Class and is small enough to fit in most F3x fuselages.

The Swift (airborne) is designed for Sports class with a faster GPS and TEK probe.

The Raven (airborne) is an awesome do everything unit that is too big for Light Class, will fit into some Sports Class, and all 1/3 Scale and SLS fuselages.

I'm going to ask Rick Shelby our US dealer to respond as well .

Regards Dean
Aug 12, 2021, 01:24 PM
Sounds interesting

Art
Aug 12, 2021, 03:58 PM

Gps triangle flying information?

I'm searching information on GPS Triangle Flying. I understand there are systems out there, but I don't know which one to get. There's the Swift, Sparrow, Snipe, Raven, and Finch. Which application would you recommend? I'll be using the Albatross App.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, AL
Aug 12, 2021, 04:11 PM
Who did you buy your system from? Was it RC ELECTRONICS? Did you have any problems getting it time wise, from Europe? Sorry I posted same question twice. THANKS, AL
Aug 12, 2021, 10:28 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
In the USA I recommend Rick Shelby in Northern California for RCElectronics products. Excellent service!
His email is rshelby30 AT gmail.com

Have fun!
Curtis
Aug 13, 2021, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Curtis!
I'll get in contact with Rick.
AL

Quick Reply