Mar 04, 2021, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

US GPS Nationals 2021

Very excited to be able sponsor this event at our glider field near Montague ,Ca.
Pilots meetings, camping, workspace, evening meals in our hangar at Siskiyou County Airport.

June 6 practice
June 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 contest

Scale, SLS, Sports, Light classes.

If you are at all interested in GPS Racing you should try to attend. The best GPS pilots in the country will be there and very willing to help.

Signup information will be available soon
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2021, 07:12 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Can you give. Location to site
Mar 04, 2021, 07:55 PM
Looking forward to it, Dean.

Tom
Mar 05, 2021, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Montague is east of Interstate 5 about 40 miles south of the Oregon / California border. The town of Yreka is close by.
Mar 05, 2021, 09:14 PM
Can't wait to get back to Glider Heaven and fly GPS!
Mar 11, 2021, 10:08 PM

Registration

Registration for the 2021 US GPS Nationals is now open. It will be held in Montague, CA. June 7 thru 11. Classes: Scale, SLS, Sport, and Light. Registration fee is $120 total for up to 4 classes. Pay at the field. This includes at least 2 barbecues and a T-shirt. Please register on both the F3x website http://f3xvault.com/
and on the gps-triangle-league website https://www.gps-triangle-league.net/...=22&fld_id=182
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Mar 12, 2021 at 09:51 PM.
Mar 12, 2021, 07:14 PM
Registered.

Tom
May 25, 2021, 07:44 AM
Thread bump. Less than 2 weeks from now.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
May 25, 2021, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Dennis,
We should have about 12 in 1/3 scale and a handful in Light and Sports. In order to get more rounds in per day we have combined 1/3 scale and SLS, The SLS entries were 1/3 in size anyway.

The field is in great shape. Hangars being cleaned, portable shower set up for those who would like to camp in the hangar. BBQ available every night and at least one catered meal.

We will have a good time.

Regards Dean
Jun 03, 2021, 09:35 PM
The TPG posse plans to roll up to the hangar about 5pm Saturday.

Tom
Jun 10, 2021, 11:28 PM
Sailplane Addict
Amazing event, fantastic scenery, wonderfull company and the food is awesome. Gliding paradize for a week.

Got the chance today to win my heat, midwest has been represented, we need to bring a bigger delegation from East to West next year.

Here is some pictures, about 200 between mines and Brian's 

Enjoy!!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNiPDRbcr5BNqTXw9

Thanks again Dean and John for organizing such a great venue
Jun 12, 2021, 10:47 AM

Final scores

Final scores for posted below. Very competitive racing all week. Going into the last day any of the top 4 could have come out on top. Congratulations to Mike Smith. Wide variety of conditions made for very interesting flying.

Our Tow Pilots, Gary McCartney, Steve Hurd, and Don Van Gundy did a great job in difficult crosswind conditions. With the help of Gene Cope running the flight line we never had a problem getting all gliders up in the start window.

Watching Heat 2 of round 5 of Scale Class was about as exciting as GPS racing can get as all the gliders were racing around the course without any circling for the entire 30 minutes. Dean Gradwell and Steve Condon did 16 laps, Peter Goldsmith did 15 and Scott Marnoch managed 12 with a much smaller and lighter Hangar 9 ASH31.

Thanks to Dean Gradwell for hosting this event!
Jun 12, 2021, 11:56 AM
Nice Photo's. Thanks Stephane and Brian!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruelle
Amazing event, fantastic scenery, wonderfull company and the food is awesome. Gliding paradize for a week.

Got the chance today to win my heat, midwest has been represented, we need to bring a bigger delegation from East to West next year.

Here is some pictures, about 200 between mines and Brian's 

Enjoy!!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNiPDRbcr5BNqTXw9

Thanks again Dean and John for organizing such a great venue
Jun 15, 2021, 02:03 PM
Wow. What a week, and many thanks are in order. First off, Dean Gradwell’s generosity and hospitality are off the hook. The flying field is first-rate, and spending the off-time at his airport hangars (with a front-row view of Mt. Shasta) is a real treat. Dean clearly loves GPS racing, and this event is the highlight of the year.

Second, the tow pilots. Gary McCartney, Don Van Gundy, and Steve Hurd all made a significant trek to fly with us, and their assistance was invaluable. Gene Cope ran the flight line like a boss, and every round was executed in an orderly fashion.

Third, the food. Scott Marnoch and Bruce DeVisser handled grill duty most nights, and every meal was spectacular. Dean hosted a catered dinner one night and it was equally awesome.

Finally, congrats to the winners. I feel like we all won by spending a full week (!) flying with friends, getting experience in the widely varying conditions, and re-capping each day together at the hangar. Already looking forward to next year.

Tom
Jun 16, 2021, 06:53 AM
Sailplane Addict
Here is a video to share with you some of the scenery/ambiance/flying of last week during the 2021 US GPS triangle nationals.
Was a lot of first times for me, first time in Montague,CA a place that has been described to me many times as one of the sailplane paradise, and I would say that it was not oversold to me, what a site! Thanks to Dean Gradwell for hosting us in such a nice venue and to John Ellias for organizing the event.
That was my first RC competition for me, never competed in the hobby in the 30 years I have been flying, was fun and the highlight of the week has been to win one of the heat, still a lot of work if I want to compete with our top US pilots.
I have really appreciated the experience and the mixed ambiance of raised hart beat during the day when competing and the chilling at the hangar with everyone in the afternoon, sharing experiences, tricks, repairs.
Last thanks a lot Peter Goldsmith for bringing my model, without your help that wouldn’t have been possible
See you next year!

Baudis 8.8m ASW22BL @ 2021 US GPS Triangle Nationals (2 min 58 sec)

Quick Reply