Mar 03, 2021, 03:27 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

de Havilland Vampire T55

Hi Guys, I've had this on on the drawing board as a 3D printable for a long time but kept pushing to to the back because I thought it would be too heavy in 3D print ..

BUT .. now we have LW-PLA, its time I put it back on the drawing board

I will be doing it as both pusher and EDF and I will be using my "slip-lock" joining system on the fuselage

I've done a bit more work on it today and this is what I have so far ..

Specs:
3 channel .. Throttle, Ailerons and Elevator
1200 mm wing span
1000 mm Long
70mm EDF
Estimated weight 1400 - 1500 grams
Slide on grass take off and landing (well the EDF will hopefully be SOG)

Deflections
Ailerons: Up = 13mm .. Down = 10mm
Stabilizer: Up and Down = 15mm

Old wing ... C of G = 67 mm from leading edge (see pic)

NEW WING .. C of G = 65 mm from leading edge (see pic)

I have widened the wing tips a little and included a couple of degrees washout to hopefully make it fly a little nicer

Look forward to your comments

I would suggest that you try the G-code files for printing

If you would rather use the STL files and slice yourself, here are the settings I use ..

PLA Parts

These are the settings I use .. doesn't have to be exact

Nose is best done fine .. maybe layer height 0.1 and 3 top layers 2 wall with 6 to 8 % infill ..

Formers .. layer height 2 or 2.5 .. 2 wall, 2 bottom and 3 top layers with about 12% infill

Boom .. layer height 2 or 2.5 .. 1 and 2 .. about 12 % infill, 2 bottom, 3 top layers

Landing Gear insert .. layer height 2 or 2.5 ... 2 bottom and 3 top .. infill maybe 20% or higher

Small parts (Hooks and bits) 100% infill

LW-PLA Parts

Parts with "bottom layers"

Fuz 1 = 3 bottom layers

Wing 1 .. LH and RH = 3 bottom layers

Fuz 1 Hatch = 3 bottom layers

Aileron 1 (with control horn) .. LH and RH = 6 bottom layers

Aileron 2 .. LH and RH = 3 bottom layers

Elevator 1 (with control horn) .. LH and RH = 6 bottom layers

Elevator 2 .. LH and RH = 3 bottom layers

H-Stab LH and RH .. 3 bottom layers

H-Stab Tip LH and RH .. 3 bottom layers

All the rest of the LW-PLA parts are open (no bottom layers)

Hardware I use:

EDF: 760mm FMS or Freewing
ESC: 60 to 80 amp
Servos: 9 gram
Spars: 4.2mm ID arrow shafts
Filament: LW-PLA for fuselage and wings ..
Filament: PLA+ for other parts
Pushrods: 1.2 or 1.5 mm piano wire

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Sep 07, 2021 at 08:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2021, 05:28 AM
I'm new to 3d printing, but I have my eye on getting the Prusa i3 MK3S. Will your Vampire print on that machine?
Mar 03, 2021, 05:54 AM
Tony I'm in and see what arrived yesterday.
Joe
Mar 03, 2021, 06:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. Scott
I'm new to 3d printing, but I have my eye on getting the Prusa i3 MK3S. Will your Vampire print on that machine?
Sure will, that's my machine, and I also have a Sidewinder

Joe, I just got a 4.5 kg roll

Lockey
Mar 03, 2021, 07:09 AM
When cows fly!
Nice! Love the vampire!
Mar 03, 2021, 02:52 PM
Lockey, would you consider incorporating finger holds for hand launching? I'm not too sold on SOG, thinking that it doesn't have yaw authority.
Mar 03, 2021, 04:48 PM
Retired CAD guy

I really like popcorn
Mar 03, 2021, 05:34 PM
Don't leave it Stock
May I, raises ✋

All time favorite, just finished testing lw.

Great design
Mar 03, 2021, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. Scott
Lockey, would you consider incorporating finger holds for hand launching? I'm not too sold on SOG, thinking that it doesn't have yaw authority.
Will certainly have a look at that Jay, with my all foam version I hand launched it under hand (see video) of course with the pusher prop version it has to be hand launched .. but I will see how I can add finger holds to the under side

Incidentally .. strange as it may seem, it is possible to steer on the ground with ailerons

mrfliboy .. I will post the settings I use in Cura for "spiral" printing of LW-PLA .. I only ever design and print LW-PLA in spiral mode and I think I have found the "sweet spot" .. at least for my models

Lockey

EDF Vampire Blowout and Vampire Pusher 2nd flight (4 min 55 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 03, 2021 at 07:13 PM.
Mar 03, 2021, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
These are my Cura setting when I print my parts in spiral mode

These setting should give about a 0.75 - 0.8 (give or take) wall thickness when printed, I find this to be the sweet spot for strength and weight .. I have printed with a lighter wall and although it is lighter I don't like the feel of the strength .. just my opinion of course

Lockey

Here are the tests I did:

I hope these tests will help some of you guys using (or intending using) LW-PLA .. these are for Spiral Mode "continuous" single wall for optimum strength and weight .. using Cura Slicer

The settings I have been using for LW-PLA up to now are .. Line width (wall thickness) 0.35 .. Layer height 0.2 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec (now use 100) .. temp 240 .. bed temp 65 ... spiral mode "continuous" single wall

I did 5 tests and these are my results

1. Line width (wall thickness) 0.35 .. Layer height 0.2 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec .. temp 240 = Finished wall thickness 0.81 .. Print speed 17 minutes

2. Line width (wall thickness) 0.33 .. Layer height 0.25 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec .. temp 240 = Finished wall thickness 0.81 .. Print speed 14 minutes

3. Line width (wall thickness) 0.33 .. Layer height 0.3 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec .. temp 240 = Finished wall thickness 0.85 .. Print speed 12 minutes

4. Line width (wall thickness) 0.30 .. Layer height 0.3 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec .. temp 240 = Finished wall thickness 0.80 .. Print speed 12 minutes

5. Line width (wall thickness) 0.25 .. Layer height 0.35 .. Flow Rate Compensation Factor 50% .. Speed 70mm/sec .. temp 240 = Finished wall thickness 0.71 .. Print speed 10 minutes

The first 3 were very similar to feel the strength of the wall on both the flat and the curved surface .. the 4th one started to feel a little flimsier and the 5th one felt too flimsy

I wasn't possible to get an accurate weight difference as the samples were too small

My conclusion is to go with number 2 .. possible small saving on weight .. faster print .. and a slight saving on filament

Number 5 would be good for small lightweight and indoor models

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Mar 03, 2021 at 07:18 PM.
Mar 03, 2021, 09:02 PM
Retired CAD guy
Bravo!

You cant expect a high roll rate without any prop blast over those surfaces.

That was a high-pitched noisy little edf in your Vampire.

Proved to be a great little fun flying plane. cudos

Here is my latest Foamy

38" Rafale foamy (5 min 1 sec)
Last edited by birdofplay; Mar 03, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
Mar 03, 2021, 09:27 PM
Sign me up. Printing the BD-5 was great. Still waiting for the weather to work itself out so time to print this!
Mar 03, 2021, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Will certainly have a look at that Jay, with my all foam version I hand launched it under hand (see video) of course with the pusher prop version it has to be hand launched .. but I will see how I can add finger holds to the under side
Lockey, I checked out your all-foam Vampire build thread, and it is quite a bit smaller and lighter than this 3d printed version. To tell you the truth, I would be pretty freaked out to try to underhand-launch this big one. Maybe not the most rational thinking, but I lost my most important plane from an underhand launch back when I wasn't very good at hand launching, and ever since then, I've concentrated on overhand launches. In any case, there might be enough meat under the wing to grip it solidly, since it is mostly a mid-wing design. Below is what I had in mind for finger grips, although the Viper is a low wing plane.
Mar 03, 2021, 11:59 PM
OK, I figured it out. Lockey, you won't have to change anything. I remember now how it was handled on a similar mid-wing design. They glued strips of sandpaper on either side of the fuselage right under the wing just behind the CG. You can paint the sandpaper, and it will still retain the grittiness that you need to grip the plane.
Mar 04, 2021, 12:48 AM
The Vampire is looking great

Quick Reply