This thread is privately moderated by sandet01, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 03, 2021, 12:42 AM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Widget for the Flight Log script

Made the jump and got an X10S-E, which put me into the world of widget writing, and how to convert my older telemetry script to the new environment. To sum, as of ver 2.3.11, OpenTX has not made it easy.

See the older post about using it for the Taranis, first.

Widgets are supposed to be scalable, so one can use them in various sized "zones" on the radio screen. There are no functions to help with that. One has to determine all the sizes of the various zones, and then custom create individual screens for each size. There is no automatic way to confine something to a zone, so easy to draw "outside the box" if one does not pay attention. And many of the lcd functions available for the Taranis do not function for the color radios. I gave up - just too many screens, and too much information presented, to spend the many hours writing code that all the different sizes would require. So all items on the screen are hard coded for their positions. Things will get ugly if the area of a widget is different than noted below.

I have yet to fully understand "options" for widgets. So while there are two color options available, best to just leave them as is.

Widgets do not currently support "Events" - the press of the menu keys for navigation/incrementing of values. I instead emulated by use of either the Elevator stick, or the Rudder stick. The screens tell you what to do.

One additional trick: If you top off your batteries during the course of a day, and wish to update the system on that same day with the amount recharged, one can hold left rudder and left aileron at the same time to bring up that screen. (This used to be the long press of the Menu key in the Taranis script). This trick only works if there is no RSSI being received from the receiver. Wouldn't want to dump into that screen when doing a snap roll! (Won't crash the plane, but would mess up the data collected by the script).

Model setup is exactly like that noted in the Taranis blog post. Specific plane data is now stored under "Widgets/Fltlog" on the SD card. If you want to modify the script for a different storage area, the line entry had to be placed inside the "Create" function - so scroll down a bit to find it.

To install:
1. Setup the plane as noted in the earlier Taranis blog post.
2. Create a folder in "Widgets" named "Fltlog".
3. Copy the attached lua script into that folder.
4. Set this up in a single box screen, and uncheck the option for "sliders + trims". Keep the top bar display.
5. Ignore the "options" for colors.

Data file names and format are as before, so notes from the Taranis blog post still apply.

Call this ver 0.1 I expect there will be periodic updates as I learn more about widget creation, and do some work to tighten up the code...
Last edited by sandet01; Mar 04, 2021 at 12:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2021, 01:00 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
You might consider posting at www.justfly.solutions in the free repo.

Quick Reply