Mar 02, 2021, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Canceled! 2021 Series F3F Races #2 (March 21 Backup Date) with Participation Raffle

Guys, we have another event right around the corner due to using our backup date for the previous contest. I will post more info on weather conditions during the weekend and I will consult with previous CDs to help gauge weather conditions.

Also I will personally be sponsoring this event and have 3 prizes for participation to reward everyone who shows up. We will pull the prizes before the start of the race, so if you show up and pay you have a shot at winning a prize. Also open Free to course workers. We want everyone to know that we really appreciate the great participation and the more people we have the better the events tend to be. I will post the prizes up next week.

Please register when you have a chance!

https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...&event_id=2032
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Mar 20, 2021 at 12:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2021, 08:44 PM
Very generous jesture, Miguel.
Right on!
Mar 06, 2021, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
The wind conditions are plausible to have race but not particularly exciting but we will need more time to ascertain conditions. I will provide updates Wednesday and make final call Sunday.

The participation prizes will be $75,$50, $25 gift codes for Aloft Hobbies along with an Aloft Hobbies tee shirt for the prize winners donated by Wayne. Thanks Wayne and Alofthobbies! To have such a good hobby store run by such nice people so close is a blessing!
Mar 10, 2021, 12:30 PM
Thread OP
Gentlemen,

Unfortunately the weather models are throwing a lot of variables at us and the weather models are divergent with some predicting less wind and no rain to others predicting a chance of rain but more wind. We will have to make final call Friday as the models have changed pretty much daily almost chasing each other like a dog trying to catch its tail.

As far as prizes go, I have not been able to contact Wayne since last Friday so I'm not sure the prizes will be what I had hoped. Unless things change I will hand out cash envelopes and 6 packs of craft beer, not to drink on premises or before the race

Miguel
Mar 12, 2021, 08:08 PM
Thread OP
So based on the current wind forecast we are going to have a race Sunday. Conditions are forecast between 10-20 with a South West -South South West wind vector. However, because the forecast has changed day to day I will reserve the right to cancel the race if the forecast tomorrow negatively changes. The proposed start time may also need to change.

Because of the Sunday night DLS time change and also the building wind conditions I am going to shoot for a 11:00am pilots meeting starting immediately after and the race lock will be on at 10:00am.
Mar 13, 2021, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Winds have gone more south so we are going to our back up date. This has been challenging to call to say the least!
Mar 13, 2021, 11:56 AM
Miguel, you are doing great, especially with forecasts having been so crazy lately. Thanks for everything you are doing and good call to switch to backup date, which is next Sunday March 21st.
Mar 13, 2021, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a good call Miguel.

These race calls are no fun, and this was not an easy one. I know you put a lot of thought into it. Hopefully, next weekend will be better.
Mar 13, 2021, 09:03 PM
Nobody is going to criticize your call so you can sleep easy. This is part of the game we signed up for and I would much rather go to a backup than come out and get skunked on a bad weather day. You made the right call.

Thanks for coordinating the event.
Mar 14, 2021, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, really appreciate it. I have a lot more understanding now of what you guys go through.

Initial forecast for backup date is looking a bit better. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mar 19, 2021, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Ok guys more of the same we have some divergence in the weather models with some showing a race is possible in decent conditions with a late start around 12:00. I wanted to give pilots some advance notice of the possible late start. I will wait until Saturday to make final call. I have been talking to past CDs and we agree this is the best course of action.
Mar 20, 2021, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Ok we have a flying report in today from Mehrdad with a forecasted direction better than Sunday and it was switchy, intermittent and cross. There is no use in delaying the inevitable until tomorrow and lets put this dog of a forecast out of its misery. You are free on Sunday to drink beer, bbq, spend time with your family or fly somewhere else I owe Mehrdad and Scott beers for all their help, we are lucky to have these guys as part of our F3F group and NCSS club.

Quick Reply