DJI FPV Drone

DJI has finally released their take on an FPV drone using the amazing DJI FPV system.

Splash

It's Here!!

DJI has finally released their take on an FPV drone using the amazing DJI FPV system. Before the haters tear it down, you have to realize what it is and who it's made for. It's not an FPV racer, it's not the right tool for the seasoned custom builder. The DJI FPV Drone is designed for first time FPV pilots. It's made for guys who have been flying drones like the Mavic or Inspire and want to try FPV flying. It's a good thing for the drone and FPV market and it will bring more people into the FPV world.

For $1299, the DJI FPV drone comes fully assembled, with everything you need for a seamless, hassle-free flight experience. Repairs are fast and easy thanks to a modular design with easily replaceable parts. There's an optional DJI Motion Controller for a different way to operate the drone from the normal 2-stick transmitter. It offers 4K/60fps video and a super-wide 150 FOV and pilots can feel confident flying with an array of safety features built in.

Now that the DJI FPV Drone is announced, tell us what you think about it in the comments below.

Check out the DJI FPV Drone Page for full specs and info

Mar 02, 2021, 09:47 AM
freelance videographer/DP
Well they got me, looks like fun, first new drone in a while...wonder how long the battery lasts? I got the control stick or whatever also
Mar 02, 2021, 09:50 AM
So.....who is this for exactly?

It doesn't fly as well as a standard FPV pilot expects it to, nor will they really want to push it either due to it's proprietary design making repairs impractical at best, impossible at worst.

And it's a 'one and done' in a crash meaning virtually anyone who has never flown FPV, coming from the rest of the DJI family is most likely to bin it in their first few flights requiring repairs.

So who is the target market here?
Mar 02, 2021, 10:03 AM
Soon to be gathering dust in the backs of closets everywhere after the first crash ...lol..
Mar 02, 2021, 10:25 AM
Sink stinks
They cut away at 50 seconds right before a catastrophic crash.
Mar 02, 2021, 10:30 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Supposed to be 20 minute flight time. Parts are replaceable and modular so shouldn’t be too worried about sending it, but yeah it won’t hold up to typical hobbyists expectations, but like I said, it’s not made for that.
Mar 02, 2021, 11:37 AM
Team Crash
This should be interesting
Mar 02, 2021, 12:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
In my mind, this is DJI returning to its roots, back when they sold the hobby grade, plug-and-play FlameWheel F450 and F330 frames, motor sets, and NAZA flight controllers.

10+ years ago, DJI's FlameWheel and NAZA opened up the multi-rotor field to many new, less technically savvy builders and pilots (including myself). They opened up the aerial photo/video market in a much bigger way with the ubiquitous Phantom line. Now they are hoping to replicate that success with their digital HD goggles and FPV package.

Like the Phantom, this FPV system targets a completely different audience than the DIY hobbyist crowd. I'm sure it'll sell alright. However, I doubt that it will sell on the same multi-million dollar scale as the Phantom and Mavic. Time will tell.
Mar 02, 2021, 02:26 PM
Anyone know if this new fpv drone will be geo fenced, like all other dji gps drones?

I'm not going to be very interested if it is.
Mar 02, 2021, 02:31 PM
I haven't found an answer to the question if the remote and googles are compatible with existing air units. Does anyone have that answer?
Mar 02, 2021, 02:37 PM
Team Crash
Yes you can switch in the settings to use an air unit and then switch back to use the FPV Drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar
I haven't found an answer to the question if the remote and googles are compatible with existing air units. Does anyone have that answer?
Mar 02, 2021, 02:51 PM
fly by night
Bardwell's review is in.

- It looks capable for doing Mavic duties, albeit not as good as any Mavic for that.
- Looks very capable of some medium-ish range cruising. OK.
- For FPV freestyle and racing it is a HARD NO. Far too weak. Bardwell's first unit was destroyed on the first flight in acro.

so as a cruiser it is very capable. The altitude stability will be super helpful for that which Betaflight doesn't even try to do and iNav is a bit weak at. If it had come out 3 years ago it would have been a world beater due to flight times, image quality and smoothness. But today so many of us fly medium range with li-ion packs for as long a flight times as this one, with stronger chassis, DJI FPV HD link, and excellent modern Betaflight smoothness.

also, I think I'd still be a buyer if it was 249 grams.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 02, 2021 at 03:49 PM.
Mar 02, 2021, 03:36 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah pretty much what I assumed. Anyone who can setup and fly a drone with Betaflight isn't likely to want one of these, especially for the price. It's for the Drone "operators" who really are not pilots yet. I imagine it sounds and looks pretty cool to them and it should be a great product for that market. Who knows, maybe some of those DJI FPV guys will end up here looking for info and dive in the broader hobby FPV world for better performance.
Mar 02, 2021, 03:52 PM
fly by night
it's got to be pretty great for mountain surfing. Something I'd have more confidence in for flying over forest up a mountain just because DJI is pretty darned reliable. As DIYers we face a couple dozen potential failure points (and a hundred CLI parameters) by which our quad/plane doesn't make it back.

The ADSB-target-on-HUD is pretty frickin amazing

Quick Reply