Mar 01, 2021, 05:45 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Discussion

What is a "reasonable"amount of planes to own?

I have a fleet of seven and one UMX radian.. I tried thinning the herd last summer and sold two planes but bought two new ones over the winter. Seems I always have around a half a dozen planes at any given time.. I've seen guys with 20 or 30 and wonder how they find time to fly them all.. We also have a member that has just ONE plane and he's just as happy as the guy that has 20 except when he crashes and has to do repairs and/or wait for parts. Curious to see what the average # of planes people here own
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2021, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I have a fleet of seven and one UMX radian.. I tried thinning the herd last summer and sold two planes but bought two new ones over the winter. Seems I always have around a half a dozen planes at any given time.. I've seen guys with 20 or 30 and wonder how they find time to fly them all.. We also have a member that has just ONE plane and he's just as happy as the guy that has 20 except when he crashes and has to do repairs and/or wait for parts. Curious to see what the average # of planes people here own
Rule of thumb is if involved with a significant other, own as many as possible without your SO kicking you out. If single, own as many as your residence can fit.

I have about 25 airplanes collected over my 12 years in the hobby. About four of those are 11-12 pound aerobats which are my mainstays that I fly often. The rest depends on whether the conditions are warm and perfect (EDF jets and warbirds with retracts) or not so nice (cold and a little windy, so foamies that can take a beating). Then I have some toys to fly indoors as well as a few helis and drones.
Mar 01, 2021, 05:55 PM
2 more than what you have at any given time.
Mar 01, 2021, 05:56 PM
I do random gravity checks
I would say, you're fine with anything that is reasonable for flying and storage. Meaning if you're filling corners of your garage or basement and stacking them on top of each other, or go a year with out flying a model due to how many you have, then it might be time to sell some.

I personally have 28 right now, all but one(spare airframe) in flying condition. From UMX Timber to a 123cc Slick 580, they all serve a purpose for me as 3D is my favorite style but enjoy a Spitfire for some scale(ish) flying from time to time.
Mar 01, 2021, 06:13 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
If I see a lot of members here with over 20 planes I'll be able to justify buying more to my wife LOL... As it is I have a hard time keeping seven planes in a rotation but they do all get flown throughout the summer. I've bought planes on a whim and not been happy with them so anymore I think long and hard before buying something new
Mar 01, 2021, 06:19 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
If I see a lot of members here with over 20 planes I'll be able to justify buying more to my wife LOL... As it is I have a hard time keeping seven planes in a rotation but they do all get flown throughout the summer. I've bought planes on a whim and not been happy with them so anymore I think long and hard before buying something new
Justify?? There is a reason that Divorce costs so much..Because IT'S WORTH IT!! You only live once,Spend it ALL, because once you die,she gets the rest of it anyway!
Mar 01, 2021, 06:27 PM
Are you asking me, or Mrs. Coupez ?

Seriously: Are you a keeper, or a trader?

Some guys hang onto planes forever. I fall into this category, having started as a builder (and rebuilder). Fixing them when they get broken is part of the hobby, and I tend to hang onto them until they can't be fixed anymore.

Some guys are traders. They'll have a hangar full of planes at the beginning of a season, fly some, crash some, trade some - and maybe sell them all at some point. They may have less patience, or more disposable income.

When storage becomes a problem, you may want to get rid of those you just don't fly anymore, and any obvious basket cases. Or thin the herd if you have several of one kind. Or just work on more efficient storage...
Mar 01, 2021, 06:29 PM
I usually have about 10 at any given time. 2 or 3 may last a couple seasons but the rest get sold at the end of the season and replaced with new for the next season. This way I recycle my hobby dollars. I quite often do this with battery packs too and have fresh packs every year.
Mar 01, 2021, 06:35 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Thread OP
Selling them never works out for me.. I typically sell a plane for half what I paid for it and this is in flown but never crashed condition.. There's a few I wished I'd never sold.. I sold a molded hotliner to a club member and I'd had that plane for about 15 years, it had never been crashed but I found I wasn't flying it much due to now owning much higher performance hotliners.. I was with the guy when he maidened it and with no previous hotliner experience, he was struggling the entire flight.. He cartwheeled it on landing and ripped the wing open and busted the fuselage.. Even though I no longer owned the plane, I felt really bad... Not as bad as HE felt though I don't think
Mar 01, 2021, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Selling them never works out for me.. I typically sell a plane for half what I paid for it and this is in flown but never crashed condition.. There's a few I wished I'd never sold.. I sold a molded hotliner to a club member and I'd had that plane for about 15 years, it had never been crashed but I found I wasn't flying it much due to now owning much higher performance hotliners.. I was with the guy when he maidened it and with no previous hotliner experience, he was struggling the entire flight.. He cartwheeled it on landing and ripped the wing open and busted the fuselage.. Even though I no longer owned the plane, I felt really bad... Not as bad as HE felt though I don't think
Half of what I paid is about the going rate. I mostly rotate the EPO foam planes but the balsa planes with higher end components stay in the hangar.
Mar 01, 2021, 07:05 PM
I do random gravity checks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I think long and hard before buying something new
Best mindset to have, in years past I've seen club members with close to 100 models and rarely do they get flown. When they do go in the air everyone is watching, not because of the display of skill, but waiting for when we need to duck and cover haha.
Mar 01, 2021, 07:20 PM
Around 10 works for me, although I usually fly 5-6 regularly.
Mar 01, 2021, 07:31 PM
i have 11, but honestly? i'd be happy with just my umx turbo timber. the others proly worth selling.
they are mostly beginner planes, so i'm helping others learn on them.

now that i have been flying for close to a year, i have a better feel for what i like, and think 3 or 4 will be plenty.
if i see something that looks interesting, i definitely hold off and think it through.i do a lot of reading and studying to try and understand it well, then pull the trigger if it meets all of my requirements.

unless it's on sale...
Mar 01, 2021, 07:36 PM
I got started in the Hobby back in the late 1960's. At that time, one radio was about all most folks could afford (especially the ones like me that were still in High School).

After my wife and I married (1975), I was able to expand our inventory to three radios. Of course, those were Mine, Hers, and Ours (yes, she's been an active flier since 1976). Funny, though, every time I finished a new model, she'd wreck hers and need to adopt the new one... BTW, she CAN build, but would rather quilt. Meanwhile, I enjoy designing and building.

For the next 20 years, we rarely had more than 3 models, even though transmitters with multiple plane memories and cheaper airborne packs came out. The reason wasn't so much space, as it was my being on USAF active duty and subject to moves every 24-36 months. So, every time I got my orders, I closed up the workshop and we flew what we had.

After I retired to civilian (still working) life, we gradually upped our fleet to around 6 at any one time -- note, those were all models I built, with very few ARFs. So, I had a lot of emotional involvement in most of them.

Now that we're both "retired retired", we find the models we like tend to last a long time (oldest one in our current fleet was one I built in 2007). As of last count, we have 9 UMX-sized and 10 larger ones; at this point, I've run out of spare shelf space in the workshop and will have to give away something when I build something new.

So, after going around in a circle, I agree with a couple of guys here -- if you're having trouble storing them or justifying them to your spouse, you've enough. Mind you, my wife often suggests am model SHE wants me to build for her, so I have no trouble justifying what models I want to her.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Mar 01, 2021 at 07:45 PM.
Mar 01, 2021, 07:37 PM
DFS#000178
One more than you know would get you weird looks from the uninitiated if you told them.

I own a lot more than that. So I fall far into the 'unreasonable' category.

Quick Reply