Thread Tools
Feb 27, 2021, 07:18 AM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Build of a Sr Falcon from 1987


Looking forward to building this as part of a build group that can be found at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post46631707
As build goes on please feel free to add or ask any questions.
tks for watching
AG
Food for thought>>>>>>>>>>>"Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion"Gerry Smith<<<<<<<<
Last edited by Army Grunt; Mar 02, 2021 at 07:23 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2021, 09:41 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
flyerinokc's Avatar
Subscribed a true classic!
Feb 27, 2021, 10:18 AM
Registered User
gene6029's Avatar
Ill be following along. One of my all time favorites. Just wish i had the time to build along with you...Gene
Feb 27, 2021, 10:37 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
I'm enjoying just zooming in to look at the other models and stuff on your shelves
Feb 27, 2021, 10:48 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029
Ill be following along. One of my all time favorites. Just wish i had the time to build along with you...Gene
Same here, we can't all have a nice un-opened kit from 1987 but there's plans at outzerone - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6137
If you go to outerzone and do a search for "goldberg", you get plans for a lot of old favourites:
https://outerzone.co.uk/search/resul...ldberg&Xpage=1
Links to click through 3 pages at the bottom
Last edited by BernardW; Feb 27, 2021 at 11:04 AM.
Feb 27, 2021, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
Subscribed a true classic!
I think its right up there as the most seen, a "Cub" or a P-51, Hope you follow along an add your $00.02.
AG
Feb 27, 2021, 10:54 AM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Same here, we can't all have a nice un-opened kit from 1987 but there's plans at outzerone - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6137
If you go to outerzone and do a search for "goldberg", you get such a nice choice of plans for great models, here it is done for you:
https://outerzone.co.uk/search/resul...ldberg&Xpage=1
down the bottom you can click through 3 pages, lots of old favourites here!
>>>>>>>>>>>HAY!!!!Bernard!!!!!How is it going down under?<<<<<<<<<<<<
Like old home Sunday seeing you here. Greetings my friend.
AG
Feb 27, 2021, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029
Ill be following along. One of my all time favorites. Just wish i had the time to build along with you...Gene
Well I have a few built (as I am sure you know from my other sight) The weather needs to improve an dry out a bit, so I figured I get going on the Sr. Enjoy an sound off, good to see you found me here.
AG
Feb 27, 2021, 11:07 AM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
flyerinokc's Avatar
The Falcon was always a great second kit after you master your trainer!
Feb 27, 2021, 11:07 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Grunt
>>>>>>>>>>>HAY!!!!Bernard!!!!!How is it going down under?<<<<<<<<<<<<
Like old home Sunday seeing you here. Greetings my friend.
AG
Haha great to see you too, thanks! Honestly it's been pretty good, here in the west I think we're so lucky. COVID has barely touched us, we had a brief lock-down a few weeks ago, just for a week, but it came to nothing, literally only one case and they closed down almost the whole state to be safe. I've even been working my live music job since July except that short break. But it did cost us a lot of work with no interstate or overseas stuff coming through.
I'll be here watching every post, wouldn't miss it. All the best
PS I know it's not really on-topic but since I saw all those plans I think I'm interested in a Tiger 60.... you can get an ARF by Phoenix but where's the fun in that?
Feb 27, 2021, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerinokc
The Falcon was always a great second kit after you master your trainer!
Back in the 60s when I learned to fly it was hard to go to any flyinn ,or club field an not see the Sr. or the 56, I flew an soloed with a 56 off water. Really looking forward to this one.
Tks. AG
Feb 27, 2021, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardW
Haha great to see you too, thanks! Honestly it's been pretty good, here in the west I think we're so lucky. COVID has barely touched us, we had a brief lock-down a few weeks ago, just for a week, but it came to nothing, literally only one case and they closed down almost the whole state to be safe. I've even been working my live music job since July except that short break. But it did cost us a lot of work with no interstate or overseas stuff coming through.
I'll be here watching every post, wouldn't miss it. All the best
PS I know it's not really on-topic but since I saw all those plans I think I'm interested in a Tiger 60.... you can get an ARF by Phoenix but where's the fun in that?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thats good to hear you did ok, we just hunkered down, we live on 70 acers so it was not really anything, my daughter did all the running, an my son helped out, so all an all it has been a build fest!!!My wife likes crafting so she kept busy...
Looking forward to getting your feed back.
AG
Feb 27, 2021, 05:20 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Good to see you doing this thread. Keep it up!

Andy
Feb 28, 2021, 06:11 AM
Registered User
Army Grunt's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Good to see you doing this thread. Keep it up!

Andy
Thank you for telling me about it Andy...An its good to have you looking over my shoulder:)
AG
Last edited by Army Grunt; Feb 28, 2021 at 08:51 AM.
Feb 28, 2021, 06:26 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
I wanted to ask you something. I've never tried this method where the spars don't touch the edge of the ribs, how were you planning on setting up the wing on your bench to build it? I made myself a wing jig which I like, but this is different to that. I'm curious how you'd go about it. The ribs must slide over the spar but then I'm wondering how you brace it on the bench to keep it straight until it's finished

This is my wing jig. The 2nd and 4th photos show my favourite feature. I can take the unfinished wing off, so long as the rods are still in it, and work on it then I can put it back in the jig. Or you can flip it up any way you want. In that photo I still have to add TE sheets, cap strips and other parts. But for gluing that molded LE on I wanted it upright. There's a lot of places to add glue so you have to hurry before it dries, using Titebond 3. All I did was clamp 2 of those spring clamps to my table, and the rod with the wing panel on it just sat on those clamps sticking out. It let me reach all the ribs' front part for gluing without having to glue underneath it where the glue could drip off.

But that was the old version of the jig. It made me realise I want to be able to stand the wing any way up, so I added the dowels and holes to locate them on the base so it can be flipped and plugged back into the base. It's an easy feature to build in and good to have.
Last edited by BernardW; Feb 28, 2021 at 06:37 AM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion building a 80"Sr Falcon Army Grunt Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 72 Jan 24, 2017 04:47 PM
Discussion Really Strong EPS (Used In Home Building) From "Falcon Foam"? critterhunter Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 6 Feb 19, 2008 01:08 PM
Mini SR from SkyKing - Build gsmith Slope 91 Dec 05, 2006 05:22 PM
Falcon 56 and Sr Falcon gvetter Fuel Plane Talk 2 Feb 01, 2003 07:11 PM