Feb 27, 2021, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Boostinjdm's TurboBee 136RS

This is my latest build. I wanted something to put all the guts from my tadpole in. Goal was to shave a little weight and move to an bottom mount battery so I could use my 4s packs. They were just a little to large for my comfort on the tadpole. This will be my 3-4s rig.

Parts list.

TurboBee 136RS 3" frame
Custom Canopy designed by me (about 2 grams heavier than stock, but much stronger and raises the camera above the prop line)
Flywoo Goku 16x16 stack with Goku VTX625
Zing 1204 4500kv motors
XM+ RX (I really wanted to try the R81 because it's smaller, but the XM+ was already used and set up)
Foxeer Toothless 2 nano 1.8mm standard cam (not the longer starlite)
HQ Duraprop 3x2.5x3 props. Probably stick with these or the tiny turner 3x1.8x3.

Dry weight is currently about 81 grams (I included motor screws, xt30, and batt strap missing in the pics) and I have yet to trim the batt wires. The tadpole was 86 grams dry.

Interesting custom touches.
Batt strap guard under the stack to protect motor wires.
Batt wire retainer.
Antenna cradle.
RX Platform.
I went with 25mm stack screws to give more room. I really didn't like the RX in the canopy idea.

After finishing it up, I plan to update to the lates BF 4.2.8 and Blue Jay ESC firmware to get RPM filtering and 48khz.

I'll be uploading all the TPU .stl files to thingiverse after I look them over one last time.
Last edited by Boostinjdm; Feb 27, 2021 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Add pics
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2021, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Alright, first problem.

Image is upside down. OSD is right side up. I can't find the setting for flipping either one of them.

Foxeer Toothless 2 nano standard.

ETA.
Had to turn over the camera. I could have sworn it had a flip option.

Blue Jay is on. Going to update BF now and print a ninjaflex batt pad.
Last edited by Boostinjdm; Feb 27, 2021 at 07:20 PM.
Feb 27, 2021, 11:36 PM
Thread OP
Files are up on Thingiverse. Only thing left to add is the batt pad TPU, but I'm still working on it and I assume most people like foam or the sticky pads anyway.
Last edited by Boostinjdm; Feb 28, 2021 at 05:15 AM.
Feb 28, 2021, 04:14 PM
Be gentle with it, I've broke a couple of those frames unfortunately... I've switched to the Tadpole since then and had no broken frame since. Nice clean build though !
Mar 01, 2021, 03:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthree
Be gentle with it, I've broke a couple of those frames unfortunately... I've switched to the Tadpole since then and had no broken frame since. Nice clean build though !
Was that the V1 with the curved front cross beam? Or the V2 ? I was pleased with how stiff the frame was compared to the Tadpole. I think the tadpole would really be better with a 2.5 or even 3mm frame. I see somebody has already made some variations. If I break another tadpole frame I will be trying a variant and sell the original.

For those of you that have tried to download my stls, I apologize. Looks like I screwed up exporting the files and many were the same with different names. I think I have it all fixed now, but thingiverse hasn't updated for me yet.
Mar 01, 2021, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostinjdm
Was that the V1 with the curved front cross beam? Or the V2 ? I was pleased with how stiff the frame was compared to the Tadpole. I think the tadpole would really be better with a 2.5 or even 3mm frame. I see somebody has already made some variations. If I break another tadpole frame I will be trying a variant and sell the original.
It was the V2, I'd have preferred the V1 because it was nicer IMHO. It's a stiff frame for sure, but I broke it really fast. It took maybe 3 or 4 light crashes (in my backyard, so either grass or tree branches/leaves. OTHO the Tadpole is a bit more flexible, but its Carbon won't break. It slowly delaminates, a bit more with each crash, but doesn't want to break. I finally replaced my 2.5" TP bottom plate because the arms were so bent lol
Mar 01, 2021, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Got to do the maiden on 3s with 3x1.5x3. Flew 4 packs. This thing is faster than the tadpole ever was. I don't think saving 5-6 grams is the difference. Maybe it's Blue Jay, BF 4.2.8, and a very slight retune? Maybe the extra 10 degrees of camera tilt is making me fly faster. Or the slick canopy rather than the brick profile of the Tadpole. I don't know, but it's going to be scary on 4s.
Oct 10, 2021, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Couple of the local guys and I have been getting together for some unofficial yard racing. We kind of settled on the Turbobee 136rs so we could all fly the same thing. I managed to have an intimate encounter with a tree trunk and broke the frame at what I would call the wrist. End of arm, right by the motor.

I was already preparing to put in an order for more custom frames. So I decided to fix what I saw to be weak points of the turbobee frame while keeping it 100% compatible with the kit parts since that's what members of our group have been buying.

I started by making the frame thicker. Now 3mm instead of original 2.5mm. I also widened the arms slightly and added some fillets at the motor mounts.

Pics
#1 Factory frame
#2 My frame
#3 My scratch built turbobee with the factory frame as I flew it last.
#4 Factory frame on the left, mine on the right.

I will be making this my first ELRS quad since it's getting rebuilt on the new frame anyway. Probably update all the TPU as well cuz I can't stop tinkering.
Last edited by Boostinjdm; Oct 10, 2021 at 12:21 AM.
Oct 21, 2021, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Ready to fly again.

Updates.
My improved custom frame.
All new TPU. 40 degree fixed cam. Improved batt strap guide and batt lead retainer.
ELRS EP2.
Slightly larger 330uf 25v cap (was a 240uf 25v). I had the room to do it. So I did it.

This thing is slick with no antennas sticking out. Interesting to see a 3 gram heavier frame, thicker TPU for the most part, and only a half gram change in total dry weight.
Last edited by Boostinjdm; Oct 22, 2021 at 05:18 PM.
Oct 24, 2021, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
I'm really liking how this flies now with the new frame and ELRS. Very clean BB. The new cam angle is just about right. Puts the motors in the corners of the view and I don't spend so much time looking at the ground.

Tried to get some glamor shots. I guess this is the best I could do.
Nov 03, 2021, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
I've added the new TPU STLs to thingiverse.

Quick Reply