Feb 26, 2021, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

How to program Spektrum DX6 G3 for Flaps on my Snipe SN

So I just picked up a Snipe SN used from a really cool guy. This is my first DLG. He doesnt run Spektrum, so he cant really help me with the radio stuff.

I set the Aircraft Type to Sailplane. I have managed to get my 4 flight modes programmed (Launch on the bind button, then Speed, Thermal, Cruise on a 3 way switch).

My Elevator and Rudder are working great. Ailerons are moving in the right directions.

I am running a Spektrum AR6610T receiver, and have it configured the connections in the following manner:

1: Left Aileron
2: Right Aileron
3: Elevator
4: Rudder
5: N/A
6: Battery

Right now, my throttle does not impact surfaces. I have manually setup a mix which is "Mot - LAL" which I have read is the correct way to do it. However, when I monitor the bars on the left in the mixing screen, I see my assigned ailerons move when I move the sticks, but I dont see anything tracking the measurement of my throttle stick. I do see on the home screen that my throttle percentage at the top moves, but I cannot see any response of input on the Monitor screen when I move my throttle. Its like my throttle stick isnt assigned to anything.

Any idea what I am missing? In my channel assign for Rx, My Thro assignment is Left Ail which I believe is correct. In my Channel Input Config, my Thro is Inhibited. Is that right? I also tried changing it to assign to "Thro" but that doesnt do anything either.

Any assistance would be appreciated so I can get my Throttle stick to control my flaps.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2021, 02:30 PM
FIN-5414
You need a load of mixers for DLG and I think DX6 is quite limited with options
Feb 26, 2021, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeks
You need a load of mixers for DLG and I think DX6 is quite limited with options
The default mixing has 5 options, and I think right now I only need 1 to make flaps happen with the throttle stick.
Feb 26, 2021, 06:13 PM
the correct 51%
Did you work with the camber systems page?
Feb 26, 2021, 08:48 PM
I use a DX6 G2 with my DLG and below is how I have it set up, I hope this helps:

Sailplane Type:
Wing: 2 aileron

Channel Assignments:
1: THRO: Inhibit
2: AILE: Right Ail.
3: ELEV: Elevator
4: RUDD: Rudder
5: GEAR: Left Ail.
6: AUX1: Inhibit

I only use three modes (set via F-MODE) Launch/Cruise/Thermal which I chose on Switch B.

Launch has neutral flaps, cruise about 3mm flaps down and thermal about 8mm flaps down. The throttle stick controls the flaps in cruise and thermal modes.

Under Camber System:
Launch Mode:
Offset 60%
Ail: UP: 80 Down: -90

Cruise Mode:
Offset: 62%
Input: Spoiler
Ail: UP: 36 Down: -45

Thermal Mode:
Offset: 40%
Ail: UP:40 Down: -50

Under Camber Presets:
Mode Left/Right
Launch 36/8
Cruise 6.5/-24.5
Thermal -32/-67

Under mixing, I set a mix from Switch I (the bind button), to about 15% up elevator....during launch I hold the bind button until I release the glider.

Let me know if you have any questions or need other settings.

Cheers,
Ken
Feb 27, 2021, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRonbo
Did you work with the camber systems page?
I havent touched any camber settings yet. I want to make sure I have everything doing what I expect it to do, then I am going to try to get my surfaces to cooperate with my flight modes and such. First time setting something like this up, but I am learning a lot.
Feb 27, 2021, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_rc
I use a DX6 G2 with my DLG and below is how I have it set up, I hope this helps:

Sailplane Type:
Wing: 2 aileron

Channel Assignments:
1: THRO: Inhibit
2: AILE: Right Ail.
3: ELEV: Elevator
4: RUDD: Rudder
5: GEAR: Left Ail.
6: AUX1: Inhibit

I only use three modes (set via F-MODE) Launch/Cruise/Thermal which I chose on Switch B.

Launch has neutral flaps, cruise about 3mm flaps down and thermal about 8mm flaps down. The throttle stick controls the flaps in cruise and thermal modes.

Under Camber System:
Launch Mode:
Offset 60%
Ail: UP: 80 Down: -90

Cruise Mode:
Offset: 62%
Ail: UP: 36 Down: -45

Thermal Mode:
Offset: 40%
Ail: UP:40 Down: -50

Under Camber Presets:
Mode Left/Right
Launch 36/8
Cruise 6.5/-24.5
Thermal -32/-67

Under mixing, I set a mix from Switch I (the bind button), to about 15% up elevator....during launch I hold the bind button until I release the glider.

Let me know if you have any questions or need other settings.

Cheers,
Ken
Ken,

This is EXTREMELY helpful. I am going to use this tomorrow to see if I can get my plane setup. When you say the throttle controls the flaps in cruise and thermal mode, how exactly are you making it do that? I cannot get my throttle to do anything at the moment.
Feb 27, 2021, 04:35 AM
DX6 is dead easy to set up.

In flight modes, first mode set to your 3 position switch for speed/cruise/thermal.

Next mode move throttle stick which will be landing mode/brakes

Priority set to you launch preset switch of choice.

Then next page move those switches and throttle stick to correctly assign what mode they will be.

Camber presets menu is to enter values for your fixed camber amounts for speed/cruise/thermal on your 3 position switch.

Camber system is your brake menu. In here under input, set it to spoiler. Then move throttle stick fully down and dial in a value to move your flaperons fully down as far as they will do without binding.

Apart from a few other little tweaks here and there to stuff like travel etc most of the heavy work is done. In trim menu set trims to flight mode, then every mode will have its own set of trims, especially important on elevator. Every mode will also have its own value in mixing for things like diff, aileron to rudder etc.

It’s quicker to set it up than it took me to write this.
Feb 27, 2021, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsavina
Ken,

This is EXTREMELY helpful. I am going to use this tomorrow to see if I can get my plane setup. When you say the throttle controls the flaps in cruise and thermal mode, how exactly are you making it do that? I cannot get my throttle to do anything at the moment.
I'm not an expert on the DX6, but, I think setting input to spoiler in the camber settings helps to enable the throttle stick. Also, I noticed that I've got the left aileron on channel 5 with throttle (channel 1) inhibited and you look to have the left aileron on channel 1.
Feb 28, 2021, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Thank you so much to ken_rc and i_am_mark_evans for your instructions and insights. I currently have all of my surfaces responding correctly, even the throttle for flaps. So I am making significant progress. I have all my modes functioning correctly as well, so I am getting close! I see there is a Snipe SN template for the Aileron which is a cutout for the different modes. Is that what I should use to get my throws setup? Finally, should my Ailerons travel the same distance up and down when I move the right stick right and left in different modes, or should they travel at different distances in different modes (like aileron moves up a little, but down a lot)?

I guess now I am not sure how to setup the throws for each surface in each mode. Of course, the exact numbers for camber preset and camber system settings will be different in my setup, however, how would I know what I should set my overall throw distance, as well as mm or % angles on my surfaces for different modes? I think as soon as I can figure those out, I am about ready to try a launch!

Oh, and also, I have my bind button programmed to "Launch" and then a 3 way switch programmed to "Speed," "Cruise," and "Thermal." On a launch, I press the button for like 1.5 seconds, then when I release, it will default to one of the three flight modes based on where I have the switch. I am guessing I leave it on "Speed" since that will give it the most straight flight when I release the Launch button at the angle I want it to climb at? If thats correct, then what mode do I put it in when it reaches the top of the launch? I seem to see videos of people flipping a switch, and the plane quickly transitions from a steep upward angle on the launch, to snapping to a horizontal flight path.
Feb 28, 2021, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Thank you so much to ken_rc and i_am_mark_evans for your instructions and insights. I currently have all of my surfaces responding correctly, even the throttle for flaps. So I am making significant progress. I have all my modes functioning correctly as well, so I am getting close! I see there is a Snipe SN template for the Aileron which is a cutout for the different modes. Is that what I should use to get my throws setup? Finally, should my Ailerons travel the same distance up and down when I move the right stick right and left in different modes, or should they travel at different distances in different modes (like aileron moves up a little, but down a lot)?

I guess now I am not sure how to setup the throws for each surface in each mode. Of course, the exact numbers for camber preset and camber system settings will be different in my setup, however, how would I know what I should set my overall throw distance, as well as mm or % angles on my surfaces for different modes? I think as soon as I can figure those out, I am about ready to try a launch!

Oh, and also, I have my bind button programmed to "Launch" and then a 3 way switch programmed to "Speed," "Cruise," and "Thermal." On a launch, I press the button for like 1.5 seconds, then when I release, it will default to one of the three flight modes based on where I have the switch. I am guessing I leave it on "Speed" since that will give it the most straight flight when I release the Launch button at the angle I want it to climb at? If thats correct, then what mode do I put it in when it reaches the top of the launch? I seem to see videos of people flipping a switch, and the plane quickly transitions from a steep upward angle on the launch, to snapping to a horizontal flight path.

There's a sticky post in this forum called something like "Initial programming of a DLG" and in the second or third post it has lots of good advice on setting up aileron differential as well as other settings. You could probably start out with the same throws in each mode and then adjust as needed once you've flown it a bit.

As far as launch settings go, I hold the bind button down while I spin and release it a split second after I release the glider. On my setup, the bind button causes a mix of a few mm of up elevator and a few mm of down flaps and a few mm of right rudder. I have the flight mode set to speed at launch, so, that's where it goes when I let go of the bind button. At the top of the climb, before it stalls, I give a quick hit of down elevator to nose it over to horizontal and then I usually switch to cruise mode. I also use "snap flaps" to help with the push at the top which is basically a mix so that when I hit a lot of down elevator it also hits a bit of up on the flaps.
Feb 28, 2021, 08:17 PM
Quote:
I seem to see videos of people flipping a switch, and the plane quickly transitions from a steep upward angle on the launch, to snapping to a horizontal flight path.
I like to mix elevator to flaps to achieve that without using a switch. When pushing over at the top of launch with down elevator it mixes some reflex or up flaps (spoilerons) This will quickly stop the climb.
Last edited by boa2110; Feb 28, 2021 at 09:35 PM.
Feb 28, 2021, 11:49 PM
Looks like you’re ready to have a whole lotta fun. Definitely check out the initial programing thread at the top. Make sure to go slow with the launches at first to avoid disaster!
Mar 01, 2021, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
The community has been excellent in helping me with my first DLG. Many thanks for the time and wisdom in helping me get my plane setup. Totally getting excited.

The guy I bought it from has been flying DLG's competitively for over 10 years, he just doesnt know anything about Spektrum. He has a group of guys that fly most Saturdays at a park about 20 min from me, so I am totally planning on getting with them for my first experiences. I just need to make sure when I show up, I can manage the Spektrum programming and settings. I am positive they will help me with making sure the modes look right, and with how I launch and such. He has flown this plane a lot, and can eyeball the throws I am sure. I just want it as setup as possible before I go, and to know how to make the adjustment when he says I need more on my flaps, or less angle on my ailerons on my Cruise setting, etc...
Mar 11, 2021, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Alright, I am getting close. All surfaces are working properly, and my flaps are moving in the correct direction with the throttle stick. I am getting closer on the neutral positions for the ailerons on the different flight modes, and now see how to make those adjustments in the settings.

The part where I am stuck now is that the ailerons do not move the same distances, especially in cruise and thermal modes. The aileron that moves up on moves up a little, the aileron that moves down moves down a lot. Where would I change those settings, and how far should I want the ailerons to move from their neutral positions in these flight modes?

Quick Reply