This thread is privately moderated by jimbo12, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2021, 03:47 PM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP
Discussion

Gliders_it graecalis

I wish the maker would publish a decent assembly manual. They have on on their web site but it is not really up to date with the changes that have been made to the kit.
I've messed up but learned to fix my mistakes in life. Still pisses me off. Its really good to build two or three of the same airplanes, then one makes no errors.
Looking at the fuselage there are two indents in the wing root. One is for the wires and the other is for an undefined wing retention system. The round opening is behind the spar and is for wires. the rectangular indent is in front of the spar.
So I looked at it and thought the rectangular indent was for a MPX connector, its about the right size. So I made the holes in the wing root. Then I noticed the wires were on the wrong side of the spar! Yikes, I needed to infill this hole and make another one.
I looked at the G10 parts and saw two tabs and thought these must be used to hold the wings on. So, I glued them in the first hole I made. The tabs will pass into the fuselage and I'll connect them with rubber bands or one small nylon cable tie. The idea is the wings can move during a rough landing. Other gliders have the wings held on with tape, which provides the same service. There is not enough of a root to use tape on the Graecalis.
Then I'm looking at the fuselage and rudder. Where are the tabs for the rudder hinge? They are glued in the wing. Oh crap. I'll have to make new ones from G10.
The wing is finished , except for the graphics. I'm using MKS 747R's for the flaps and MKS 6330 for the ailerons. I used RC Solutions servo frames. FlightComp sells them and they are really nice.
Things I need to work out. How to hold the canopy on? I have a carbon canopy and it does not have an internal tray. I'm not sure how to make the blind holes in the exact right spot. Perhaps I just use magnets.
Not sure about a motor. I would mind having it, then launching is easier and I can fly from a flat field. There are two options - cut off the nose and use a spinner and folding prop, or drill a hole thru the front of the fuselage and let the motor shaft go out thru it. I see it done both ways. The 2nd method is a little clunky and I think there is a system where the shaft can be pulled out when you don't need the prop. The first way may require a motor with a gear box to be narrow enough. I only have direct drive motors for this sailplane.
Of course going pure sailplane is an option. If I do that, I'll add provisions for a tow plane connection.
Latest blog entry: Gliders_it graecalis
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2021, 11:24 PM
rrg
rrg
Funny, i did the wrong side of the spar thing on one my sailplanes also...
Mar 03, 2021, 11:38 PM
That thing almost hit me
Canopy hold down... The wire flexes slightly and holds the canopy on. No holes required.

Mar 04, 2021, 12:01 AM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP
Thanks. The canopy is way too large for the flexible wire solution.
I have another idea. I will post it once its made.
Mar 04, 2021, 12:14 AM
That thing almost hit me
Sorry didn't realize it was a Clear canopy. How about a pin and a spring slider? A pin in the front and a magnet in the back would work also.
Last edited by Tahoed; Mar 04, 2021 at 12:19 AM.
Mar 04, 2021, 08:50 AM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP
HI,
I have a carbon canopy. It does not have an internal frame. So, all the alignment is done blind.
I plant to epoxy a 6mm carbon pin to the front of the canopy (on centerline). Then I can sand a groove in the front of the fuselage opening for the pin.
To hold the back on: I was thinking either magnets or a spring loaded pin (as you suggest). It is the drilling of two holes, in perfect alignment that I dread. If I add a little lip to the inside of the canopy, then it will stay aligned with the fuselage and about four magnets will hold it on for -6g's.
Mar 04, 2021, 10:07 AM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP
Here are some progress photos of my Greaecalis construction.
Mar 10, 2021, 01:30 PM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP

Canopy

I've added a 6mm carbon pin to the front of the canopy. I epoxied it to the canopy 1st and then held the canopy in place to mark where to sand the groove in the fuselage. I have a large collection of files and have a round file of the correct diameter - so this was easily done.
Then I added a little plywood doublers to the fuselage flange. Then I made 1/16 slots in the fuselage and canopy, careful to match them. I epoxied a couple sheet carbon fiber tabs to the canopy. Now the canopy is held in place in three spots, it is good. I just need to come up with a way to latch it on.
1. There is tape, simple and works everytime.
2. I have a spring-loaded latch, but this is difficult to install at this point because I already epoxied the rear former in place.
3, Could do a pull/push wire that exits behind the wing root. I've done this with my Bhyon.
4. Magnets
5. A screw at the back of the canopy.

I also rigged up the equipment plate. I decided to make this pure sailplane. I will have a pin for catapult launch. I'm debating a provision for aero-tow. I'm planning to use a 2S 4000MAH Lipo as the power source. I will need the nose weight, so why not use a large battery? Charge it once a season?
Mar 27, 2021, 07:33 PM
ah dinnae ken
Thread OP
The Graecalis is complete.

Quick Reply