Jul 16, 2021, 02:40 AM
That would sit nicely on your back lawn Mike - and serve as a constant reminder of your experience with this model!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2021, 12:42 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Kiwi, you know how to make a fella feel small!
Jul 21, 2021, 08:37 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
"It's her last chance, she can't idle that long
It's her last chance, turn her over and go
Pulling out of the last chance Texaco"

(Apologies to Ricky Lee Jones)

As you can see from the first picture, the Walrus sits really well in the water, with the tip floats just skimming the surface. I'd removed the retracts the previous evening and covered the holes with tex, saving 7 or 8 oz. It was time to "turn her over and go" - this was her last chance.

Take-off was marvellous, straight, easy, no drama and a gentle rise off water...this could be a whole new...uh oh! She did fly around for a few minutes and then suddenly stopped in the air and spiral dived into the water...

Utterly p'd off, I got the Supermarine S4 out of the car and had three super flights. She really does fly very well indeed and despite being dunked last time out seemed none the worse apart from an elevator trim problem, easily sorted out.

After a while the Walrus drifted into the bank and after a long wade round the edge of the lake (the 6ft reeds on the bank prevent easy access to the water) I caught up with her. You can see from the long distance shot that she was upside down, nose in. In this state there was a gallon of water in the upper wing and quite a lot in the fuselage, which needed careful draining out so as not to cause too much damage.

The amazing thing was that after an hour or so in the water, when I got back to the car and plugged a new battery in, all the controls worked and the motor span up.

So, FOR SALE, Supermarine Walrus, only one owner, 50 minutes in the air, slight water damage, contains many valuable items such as noedym magnets, servos, lots of rigging wire, a dummy engine from a DH2, a Park 480 motor and speed controller. A bargain. Offer in excess of...
Jul 21, 2021, 09:18 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
"I am the Walrus"
"The Walrus was Paul"
"I buried Paul..."

Goo goo good job, Mike. Sometimes they just have a mind of their own.

Steve (Beatling away...)
Jul 21, 2021, 10:00 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Thanks for that Steve...the pilot's pipe was still going when I picked her up, and he wandered off to the wardroom for a stiff drink. His nav was not impressed...
Jul 21, 2021, 12:18 PM
Ken Stuhr
Oh too bad--sorry Mike! At least you didn't hit a tree..........
Jul 22, 2021, 05:35 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
Looked good though - too bad about its flying abilities.
Jul 22, 2021, 06:10 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JornWildt
Looked good though - too bad about its flying abilities.
That's it in a nutshell
Jul 31, 2021, 07:06 AM
Gorilla glue rocks
goo gook a chuug….for sure.

Mike, I have built a few aircraft that have a satanic edge for no apparent reason.

I have often thought of trying an exorcism? Might be an alternate option to selling or hanging ‘er up indefinitely. Chuckle.

Still a beautiful aircraft model that almost only you have had the courage to build, fly, and sink!

Inspiring!

Spit100
Jul 31, 2021, 12:38 PM
Bummer Mike, but agree she looks great!

D-Rock
Aug 01, 2021, 08:44 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
This model is "on the parish"*

You may remember that when I recovered it on its "last flight" all the controls and the motor still worked despite it being in the water for an hour or so. Getting it home, I dried it out to see what was completely broken and whether a repair and another try was feasible.

So I re-made all the strut ends in a sturdier fashion - they now screw directly into the wing blocks, I re-rigged it using a same trace wire as before, but this time with a bit more tension. The wing does not move! The cockpit needed a glazing panel replacing, the fuselage covering ironing down, all the tears and holes covered over with solarfilm and she looked...well, OK. I have not bothered to sheath the struts with depron - a waste of time.

Jim (buzzard bait) has suggested that upthrust is worth trying, to cure the tendency to swoop upwards on closing the throttle. Although this is completely against the full-size arrangements, if she flies approximately well enough, I will try it. It means taking off the dummy motor for the 5th time, but hey, what is time for but to spend in interesting activities!

Anyway, Wednesday morning looks OK for a trip to Longham, so another go is in sight.

Thanks to everyone for your support

* "On the Parish". I first heard this saying as a junior officer when I had run out of reasons why I should not be barred from the Mess for a series of misdemeanours. I had had my last chance, I was "on the Parish".
Aug 01, 2021, 09:18 AM
Viceless no longer :)
Perhaps that should be the name of the model? worth scrawling it on the side just to remind it?
Best of luck on wednesday
Vicky
Aug 01, 2021, 09:50 AM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike

* "On the Parish". I first heard this saying as a junior officer when I had run out of reasons why I should not be barred from the Mess for a series of misdemeanours. I had had my last chance, I was "on the Parish".
Ha! I resemble that remark. Or, in the words of George W. Bush, "When I was young and foolish, I was young and foolish..."

Best of luck with the latest "last chance"!

Steve
Aug 01, 2021, 08:01 PM
I sent this as a PM and Mike thought it was interesting so here it is...

Did you ever try a bit of up-thrust? It seems to me if the plane swooped up when you throttled down for landing, then the high thrust line must be causing some down pitch compensated by stab/elevator position. When you take off the power then the down pitch from the high thrust line is gone, and now the stab/elevator causes the up swoop.

If you had a bit of up thrust, then level flight would require a bit of down trim, so when you throttled down the stab/elevator would be in the correct position and prevent the up swoop.

The fact that the full scale had down thrust certainly suggests the model should too, but many models with high thrust lines use up thrust. The propwash puts a downward force on the stab, which counteracts the down trim effect of the high thrust line.
Aug 05, 2021, 07:13 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Were you holding your breath? You can relax now.

In fact it's not the end. Again, despite the drowned appearance, the bits are all there and working, so half an hour with some tape and new rigging, and she will fly again. This time with a bit of upthrust - if it doesn't work, buzzard bait, you are in trouble!

What happened was that at first she would taxi but not rise off water. So I foolishly increased the elevator travel and this time of course, she leaped off and did her usual trick of immediately diving then climbing then...splash! Too much elevator movement, too slow on the thumbs, brain not quick enough to catch up.

One more go?
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Aug 05, 2021 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Explanation

Quick Reply