This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 25, 2021, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

3D printing ( Printer Mod )

I have had this printer for around 12 months now and I am still on my first ( 1kg ) roll of PLA . Thats right , still havent used up my first roll of PLA . I guess thats what happens when you print knickknacks !

PROBLEM !

PLA once exposed to air starts to degrade , so old PLA is not so great .
Mine still prints just fine , butt !!!! it has gotten really brittle and will snap when bent too tight . Like where it enters the feed for the printer . For a long time I had the solution in my head and since recently I have started printing again .

I think the solution is a feeder wheel , this wheel will stop the PLA from making to tight a bend and snapping . Also the wheel will support the PLA and more evenly distribute load over a larger area , there for hopefully being the solution to my aging roll of PLA . ( Snapping )
It's a serious PITA to start a print and have your PLA snap in half and I am getting a little sick and tired of baby sitting the printer , pulling PLA of the reel to stop it from pulling tight .

A) Wheel is printed as one half and glued together with a internal sleeve that is pressed inside the two halves ( great glue surface and improves strength )
B) Then I had to print a mounting arm
C) To the arm is mounted a spacer / bracket that the wheel mounts to
D) then on the open side I printed a press fit locking collar ( also glued )

There should be very little load on the wheel , it's just there to stop the PLA from bending too tight .
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply