This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 01, 2021, 01:09 AM
Would be really cool to have steerable main wheels too for crosswind landings
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2021, 09:32 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Just realized I haven't posted a photo of my wiring solution or rx mounting, can't do it now because I am at work, will post later this evening. Basically, I put a little removable wooden platform in the middle of the wing. The wires run underneath and the rx is taped to the top. I learned the hard way that the rx has to be at about the center of gravity and level.

I saw a photo of struts like that mounted. You will probably have to trim some foam in the main gear wheel wells for them. I have considered doing that myself, but because of the added weight, I have decided not to. Hobbyking has some Oleo struts listed, but they have been out of stock forever. I put heavier low bounce wheels on my practice/trainer plane for landing and they caused a major crash even though I carefully checked the COG. So be careful when you get ready to maiden this plane.

Steerable main wheels might be cool, but a lot of extra weight and work. In my experience with crosswind landings, I doubt they would make a lot of difference.

Where are you located approximately? Your user name box doesn't show it.
Latest blog entry: E-flite Night Timber X 1.2 BNF
Apr 02, 2021, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I keep staring at that rats nest of wiring, and it bothered me that it was running around those servos. I will probably do the same to isolate. I figured on waiting for the gear to see how it does without, and doing so will probably aid me in removing the gear from the plane LOL, as they'll probably snap off in short order. The steerable main gear was a joke I'm in Colorado Springs. So we get really unpredictable winds here sometimes. The weather service is usually pretty good about guessing when it will happen, but sometimes they miss.
Apr 02, 2021, 09:32 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Here is what I did with the rats nest. The board is mounted on some nylon standoffs, the standoffs are glued into the wing foam. Not a lot of vertical space to work with because of the nose wheel pushrod.
Name: zc310rxwires.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 583.6 KB
Description: Name: zc310rxwires2.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 618.5 KB
Description: Name: zc310rxwires3.jpg
Size: 552.6 KB
Description:

I use this for a wind forecaster, seems fairly accurate: http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KF05&state=TX . But I also go outside and watch the revotutions of the wind turbines that are about a mile away.
Apr 03, 2021, 02:19 PM
That's a pretty good weather app. I found another one about a year ago that I was using mainly for radar, but since found that it has an excellent wind reporting system (Duh, it's name is "Windy" LOL) but seriously, take a look at it. You can just click on a map at your exact location, and it will tell you the current wind speed and direction there.
https://www.windy.com/?38.907,-104.928,10,m:eJQadgG
Apr 03, 2021, 02:21 PM
Your wiring looks great. I will try to do same when I can get my receiver, and a couple light boards.
Apr 04, 2021, 03:22 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I looked at windy, not bad. I guess the wind speed is in Knots? Be nice if it could be changed to mph.

While I am waiting on my receiver, I changed the rx mount a little. Now I don't have to use double sided tape to mount the receiver. Also in photo a view of the keyfob LED like I used for landing lights on the C310.
Name: zc310rxbd.jpg
Size: 752.4 KB
Description: Name: zc310rxbdmnt.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 547.8 KB
Description: Name: zc310rxbdmnt2.jpg
Size: 544.1 KB
Description:
Apr 05, 2021, 03:38 AM
Nice mount! I like the nylon bolts and nuts. Never would have thought of that. Lightweight, and less prone to vibes. On the windy website, upper left corner is three bars. Click on it, and in the menu box that opens, is a link in the upper right corner called Settings. Click on that and you can get it to work in any units of measurement you want for all of the items it displays.
Apr 07, 2021, 05:55 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Been windy as heck here everyday for the past week or more.

Yesterday I got the new SR86A receiver for the C310 but last night I worked on getting the Night Timber X ready to fly. Tonight I have something to do at 7pm so I probably won't get to it tonight either. Maybe tomorrow.
Apr 08, 2021, 01:22 AM
Sorry about your wind. We probably sent that down to you. Wind and tornadoes are two of the main exports of Colorado Kansas and Okalhoma hate us. I just finally paid some bills off today and was able to move forward again, but am still having issues with the flap servos. I saw a post on another forum about a different way to install control linkage for wings. Imagine no servos at all in the wing other than the retracts. Then imagine that the flaps on the GC model were split flaps like they are on the real Cessna 310's. Then they would be just hinged panels attached to the wing, could be much thinner at the leading edge, and . . . could be controlled by a single torque rod embedded in the leading edge of the flaps and ailerons, with a 90 degree bend that lays flat with the aileron or flap, and serves as what turns them, and the "axle" runs back through the wing inside a carbon tube, (which are epoxied into the wing and serve double duty as additional wing spars), with the aileron tube run in the area that used to be for the big thick flap leading edge which now is no longer there, and into the fuselage and meets the others coming from the other side, and both flaps are controlled by one servo, and both ailerons are connected to opposing arms of another single servo. Now you have none of the wiring or servos in the wings, no servos for flaps or ailerons in the wings, no scissor hinges for the flaps. and the servos are now protected in the fuse, and the opening on the top of the wing can be closed off with a sheet of plastic from a milk carton, on top of the trailing edge stub between the aileron and flaps, under the engine nacelles, and back out on top of the wing all the way to the wing root. Now you have a smoother top surface, that is scale and correct to the split flap configuration of the actual aircraft, a MUCH smoother, and stiffer, and lighter wing surface with the servos gone and filled, and no servo arms, pushrods and scissor hinges projecting down under the wing, and half the number of wing servos.

Now guess who is getting ready to tear all that crap out of his Grand Cruiser
Apr 08, 2021, 01:31 AM
This is how I get into trouble. It's how my mind works. The stupid thing is, that Dynam could have already done this, eliminated a LOT of cost, made a more reliable and better looking model with accurate flaps, and everyone would have been happier. They would have cut their labor cost of embedding servos in the wings in half, cut their wing servo cost in half, and made more profits.

The only foreseeable problem with this from my non professional opinon, is that while split flaps work well (like they do for the DC-3 and many other planes) there is more turbulence at the trailing edge, which can create separation of the airflow envelope. Solution I believe will be some nifty plastic trailing edge pieces to thin out the flaps, and some vortex generator strips on the top of the wing. I "should" end up with an STOL 310 that literally leaps into the air, and can stop in 5 feet when it sets down with it's near zero stall speed. Which is great for less wear on the engines, and gives me more weight to play with, to use for my heavier oleo strut/trailing edge link landing gear and soft foam rubber rubber skinned tires..... I should be finished with my mods sometime in 2022

Quick Reply