Jun 20, 2005, 08:10 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Will the 4x4 prop heat up the johnson too much on 7.4 volts with this design? I dont have any 4 x 2.5s.If it flies as well as the blucoupe or gym blu, I know I will like it.I am just worried about blowing my last johnson up Thansk, Dave
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2005, 08:14 PM
OK folks... Here I go... out on a limb for this project. I have always wanted a cdrom motor and nearly was buried alive with all the threads,posts,opinions and new info that trickled in. I never got a suitable cdrom motor to build and therefore have not wet my feet in that area.

Just ordered my first Gobrusless kit so, here goes!

Robert
Jun 20, 2005, 08:37 PM
John 3:16
Well, I finished the VTOL Albatross today, but it was too windy to maiden it. I hope to do it tomorrow. In the mean time, I cut out a Trainer One. Is the fuse made of two pieces glued together? I cut out two and was thinking about sandwiching a cf tube between them to reinforce the fuse. Is that a good idea or is it unnecessary? I had a little difficulty knowing where to cut on the fuse in the area of the motor mount. I think I got it though. I should finish it up tomorrow if I can get a spare hour or two.
Daddy-O
Jun 20, 2005, 09:48 PM
Daddy-O, I am pretty sure that this design is only one sheet with the longitudinal rigidity comming from the 3/16 dowel that runs the length of the bottom of the fuselage, ( if I am wrong please someone jump in!).

Most of these ships it seems, has 2 sheets and some even have something inside for rigidity so I can see why you did that. Problem I can see ( not that I have completed one yet) is unneccesary weight. Should be plenty strong though!

There is doubling on each side of the wing for more area and strength for the motor mount and wing saddle. From this simple design (thanks GPW )it seems all that is needed!

Update on my plane: wing and tail feathers are now done and fuse is now underway!

Good luck with your build everyone!

Robert
Jun 20, 2005, 09:50 PM
Crash Master
9L: Better not use the 4x4 or you WILL burn it up on a draggy plane like this. Better to use a 3x3, or at least cut the 4x4 down to 3x4...
Jun 21, 2005, 01:05 AM
Use whatcha got!
Gene / gpw - any thoughts on using the 100mm 'Twisty' prop from balsapr?

thanks,
uproar90

Status update: have plane cut out twice now, life keeps getting in the way of assembly. Have all parts here, just need to decide on a few minor details...
Jun 21, 2005, 07:03 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
9lives ... bad idea ...3x3 is the way to go ...
Willin ...learning to wind the stators will test your patience at first .... just persist and all will be worked out ... a good magnifier helps , and a glass of wine to calm the nerves ...
Dad-o .... The two completely opposite extremes ... a trainer and the "wildman " Albatross... Good Luck !! Why , for the contrast ?
The T1 flies so slowly the bigger props won't get a chance to unload at speed , there is none , so only the 3x3 has worked out with my GWS 5a esc... you could use a bigger esc , but the little T1 won't go much faster with a different prop... Cd now that 's another story ..after all it is a TRAINER !!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 21, 2005, 07:52 AM
gpw, I just got back from the maiden with the Albatross. I know this isn't the place but I want to give you my thoughts on it. Okay, here it is: I had a blast with it! Okay, now I've got some computer work to do, then, hopefully, I will be able to set aside an hour to put together the TRAINER One. Should I make the fuse with just one piece of fff or should I use two?
Daddy-O
Jun 21, 2005, 08:38 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Did you VTO, VL ... it's the plane that has spoiled the local crowd... we fly em in combat , no streamers .count the prop strikes ...Hovering fools too , and FB Bob put a BP-21 /3clipo on his .... what a rocket !!! I use the j250/D/12x6/2c lipo

ONE layer is whats on the plans ... i'm really being serious (ha!) about following the plans , cause too much customizing , makes it "another " plane , with different flying qualities , and guess who'll get the blame ... moi '
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 21, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks gpw, I am trying to follow the plans to the letter. One layer it is. I would think that FB Bob's setup would be ideal for it. I only took one battery pack out with me this morning, and after trimming out the plane could do absolutely every move I know (which isn't saying much). It was a blast on the cd motor I am using. Well, back to my computer work. Thanks for the fuse info.
Daddy-O
Jun 21, 2005, 09:15 AM
Crash Master
uproar: That HE100 prop is a good one on the right plane. It'd be worth a try. Might try the other one ?80mm? that's more like a 3x2...
Jun 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
Use whatcha got!
I have a few of the 80mm as well... I'll try that one first.

Thanks...
Jun 21, 2005, 05:24 PM
Jameco has johnson motors. Jameco part number 311976.
These motors have '20519 393855" stamped on the flux ring. Gene/GPW are these the right johnson 250's?
Jun 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
Titanium Has My Back!!
Okay, Cut the parts out.Have one question regarding that dowel that looks like it runs underside the whole fuselage .Do you attach it first and then dig a trench in the stab to help it sit flush against the dowel and foam or do you run the dowel so that it butts up against the attached stab? Are you just using clear strapping tape for attaching the the dowels or spots of hot glue along with the tape? I did find some 3x3's so i'm good to go in that dept.
Does the single assist elevator cause any kind of yaw effect.Being that I'm just 36, I don't qualify for the OLD TIMERS"Thats how we did it back then and it flew great" LOL
Just wondering if anyone has built it with the single elevator and the switched to the double and what diff if any was there.I'm glad for the pusher design since even with Gene's and Gpw's trick of using fuel tubing in the center of 4x2.5 pros to keep them on, mine still kept popping off?Used alchohol on the shaft and pop went the prop after about 30 seconds on my now crashed "and now" knock off thats now knocked up. Geesh, say that five times fast.lol. Anyway, NBA and CWS are starting, so I will finish building tommorrow.Thank you in advance for all of everyone's future response's.Now I will just sit back and listen. Keep up the Great plans GENE and GPW.
Dave
Jun 21, 2005, 11:56 PM
Crash Master
Kzey: I believe they are. the 20519 is the same, and it seems like somone confirmed they were with some testing.

The one from Electronics Goldmine (G4046) is a decent motor, but it's hotter, pulls more current and produces more power, but seems to be less efficient than the DCM-189. I do run them on a few planes, like my MiniWing with a 3x3 and geared on my BluCub and Porky Piper... I just throttle back.... NOT!

The War Department has retreated for the evening, so the testing will commence soon!

Quick Reply