Jun 19, 2005, 06:02 PM
Gene - Thank you for providing all these wonderful pdf and tiled plans! My file is getting kinda thick, so lately I've been printing the single page plans and when I get time to build it I'll just draw it larger on poster board for templates. And, of course Thanks to GPW for the new design. Haven't made a new fff trainer since my Frog and my Shark ( and those noses are now not long enough since I'm using lipos).
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2005, 06:25 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Neb , this one will balance fine with the j250/lipos (that's what I'm using ) or even better with the cd motor/lipos ...
It flies slowly and sounds like an Ultralight , with the constant whining of the motor ... j250 sounds like angry bees ... Fun Plane ...
IF you get in a bad attitude in flight , JUST let go of the sticks , it will right itself promptly .... DON"T fly it into the ground , like I've seen some people do who refuse to let go .... "Oh I can save it" ... DORK!!!! ..."you gotta' know when to fold "...and when to let go ...It flies much bettern' we do ... hahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 19, 2005, 07:04 PM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
er, Gene , Now how might I go about doing that ????
Just edit, and manage attatchments... The pictures should still be there, and just add the 2 new files...
Jun 19, 2005, 07:45 PM
I have begun!

Printed the sheets. Layed them out. Measured and marked certain points.

Transferred the measurments for the wing and tail feathers and have cut them out.

Now to bend the curve in the wing, cut and glue the ends of the wing for the polyhedral.

Waiting on the fuse because I may have to do some modifications there. The only brushless I have is one that swings an 8-6 prop which is the only thing I have that will run backward otherwise I will need to go tractor.

Robert
Jun 19, 2005, 07:56 PM
Hillary Lied, 4 Americans Died
To all those out there that know a lot more than I do about electrics. (that's just about everyone) Would a motor off a GWS Tiger Moth(the small one)work on this?, I think it's an IPS? It has a gearbox, what small size prop might work? I could mount the motor a little higher if needed for prop clearance,(there I go, thinking of messing with gpw's great design, even after he asked us not to). gpw, would this adversely effect the good handling qualities of this plane? I have some J250's, but don't like noise of "angry bees" early in the mornings.(neighbors wouldn't either) The geared motor would be a lot quieter.
Jun 19, 2005, 08:52 PM
Use whatcha got!
Dave - the geared setup might be a bit hard to fit in there...

The fuse at the point where the prop runs through is only 4" or so across... The IPS Tigermoth prop is at least 10 or 11" ???

Even if the prop/GB mounted at the highest point (which it doesn't) you'd still have trouble fitting the prop.
Jun 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
Yes Dave, but their lawn mowers and leaf blowers are just music to everyones ears in the early AM - right?
Jun 19, 2005, 09:31 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin

Waiting on the fuse because I may have to do some modifications there. The only brushless I have is one that swings an 8-6 prop which is the only thing I have that will run backward otherwise I will need to go tractor.

Robert
Swap any 2 of the brushless motor leads and it will run in reverse. Flip the prop so the same face goes forward as it would if it were in a tractor position. No problems!

You do not need a LH prop to run in pusher mode.
Jun 19, 2005, 10:30 PM
Hillary Lied, 4 Americans Died
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebuchadnezzar
Yes Dave, but their lawn mowers and leaf blowers are just music to everyones ears in the early AM - right?

Neb.., You know it.

I could fabricate a mount easy enough to go on top of the wing, which would raise the motor centerline about an inch At the max fusde cut out, this will give me room for a 8-9 inch prop. I believe the stock prop was a 9x7, or that it was a commonly used substitute. The wing would have a bigger cut out also, but I do not think this will be a problem. I can re enforce this area if need be.
What I wonder is what effect having the motor centerline farther above the thrust line will do to the handling.
I may just go ahead and try it.
Dave
Jun 19, 2005, 10:38 PM
Use whatcha got!
I think I understand what you're trying to describe Dave, and think that if you manufab'd a pylon to rise up above the wing like you're mentioning, and sandwiched each side of the fuselage with more lite ply or balsa, you should have plenty enough strength.

Then again... Only one way to find out.

Good luck, and post pics!

-uproar90
Jun 20, 2005, 07:55 AM
gpw
gpw
Guys , This is a TRAINER , a compromise .... PLEASE DON'T CHANGE THE PARAMETERS !!!! This is the only way I can Guarrontee' (cajun ) the results .... If ya' don't have a cd or j250 ... BUILD A FROG !!!! The FROG is an EXCELLENT trainer , suitable for ips motors and bigger props ... This plane uses J250/280/cd motors ...

**** the neighbors !!!
... mine insist on cutting the lawn at o8o... with TRACTORS yet !!!!
Jun 20, 2005, 08:44 AM
Crash Master
The closest substitute motor I would suggest would be a 280 (EPD-100C) with a 4.5x3 on 3s packs (4A or better packs). Maybe it'd work on a 2s /5x3, but I wouldn't want to risk it until I had it flying well on another setup.

A Fiego 12mm IPS brushless replacement ($$$) with a 3x3 on 2s should do the trick, though.... But for the money, I'd just buy a Len's CDR motor pre-built.
Jun 20, 2005, 09:19 AM
gpw
gpw
CD is what I originally had in mind too , but went with j250 , for the expense factor ...for noobs ...The 280's work great on the DC-3 , oughta' work well here too ... it really doesn't need much power , it will cruise at 1/4 T ... and the glide is like a floater....a real trainer , but if overpowered will pick UP considerable speed .... NEVER test it at WOT!!!!!! .... start slow with just a little power and a test glide ... if it is OK , then more power ... you know!!! ... what I'm basically saying is that all beginners should have some experienced help ......get a flyer to help trim it out , they 're friendly , for the most part ....
Jun 20, 2005, 09:45 AM
Crash Master
Hmmm... In that case, a 280 / 2s 5x4.3 may be OK....
Jun 20, 2005, 06:11 PM
gpw
gpw
Gene , you're the one whose got me using those 280's again .... but the 250 is still my favorite... and cheaper too ...hahahaha

Quick Reply