Feb 21, 2021, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Identify classic pattern planes

Hello,
I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify a few classic pattern planes that I have in my collection. Unfortunately, the planes do not have wings. I would like to try and figure out what they are and buy/build some wings so I can fly at least one of them.

The library of pictures on this forum has helped, but I am just not certain on there identity. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

#1 Red, Nutcracker? Compensator?
#2 White, Corsair?
#3 Green fiberglass Saturn ?
#4 White/yellow tail, Intruder?
#5 Orange canopy, T2A?
Last edited by lightwinds; Feb 22, 2021 at 05:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2021, 06:50 PM
I agree #1 is probably a Compensator, if the molded stab location is diamond shape, it would back that up. #4 does look like an Intruder, again check the stab, diamond airfoil was a Kirkland trademark. #5 is a T2A Mk I. No good idea on 2 & 3.
Feb 21, 2021, 06:53 PM
That's the whitest sand I've even seen. What beach is that?
Feb 21, 2021, 07:11 PM
#3 "the green" is likely Ivan Kristensen's Saturn. The red plane is by Warren Hitchcox at the Canadian Nationals in Winnipeg in 1978.
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Feb 21, 2021, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help. I think your right about the T2A.
The picture looks like Siesta Key, FL beach sand. Unfortunately, its 70 degree cooler and there is no where to swim. At least the sun was shining today.
Feb 21, 2021, 08:12 PM
The red one is a Nutcracker for sure.
Feb 21, 2021, 10:20 PM
Red one could well be a Nutcracker, here's a snip from the plans.
Feb 21, 2021, 10:26 PM
Red one IS a Nutcracker (level of certainty - 95%)
The one kn the middle is a Saturn (100% certain)
The last one is a T2-A Mk. I (100%certain)
Between Saturn & T2-A, an Intruder (85%)
The one with the short turtledeck/midway canopy seems familiar but at the moment, can't come up with a name.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Feb 21, 2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Feb 22, 2021, 08:08 AM
Number 3 is a Saturn, I have a bare fuse and it’s same as in the picture above.

R
Feb 22, 2021, 02:16 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwinds
Hello,
I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify a few classic pattern planes that I have in my collection. Unfortunately, the planes do not have wings. I would like to try and figure out what they are and buy/build some wings so I can fly at least one of them.

The library of pictures on this forum has helped, but I am just not certain on there identity. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

#1 Red, Compensator?
#2 White, Corsair?
#3 Green fiberglass Saturn ?
#4 White/yellow tail Intruder?
#5 Orange canopy Looks a little like and Intruder with the lower front intake, but it is narrower with a larger canopy. T2A?
Sorry I know #2 White is not a Corsair for sure. However I also cannot place the name. It does look familiar and I have seen it but I cannot remember much about it. At first I thought it was a Terry Westrop design but it is not.
Feb 22, 2021, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22
That's the whitest sand I've even seen. What beach is that?
Pennsylvania Beach! There is a Jersey Shore smack dab in the middle of PA, you know!

Andy
Feb 22, 2021, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the help guys. I am now closer to figuring out what wings to buy for these planes.
Feb 22, 2021, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightwinds
Thanks for the help. I think your right about the T2A.
The picture looks like Siesta Key, FL beach sand. Unfortunately, its 70 degree cooler and there is no where to swim. At least the sun was shining today.
Yes it does look like Seista Key sand. Excellent choice of beach. I'll be there next month. Sorry for off topic.
Feb 23, 2021, 08:45 AM
Where do you intend on buying the wings from?
Feb 23, 2021, 12:47 PM
Eureka Aircraft probably has foam cores for all of them, if not most.

R

Quick Reply