Feb 21, 2021, 01:32 PM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
Thread OP
Build Log

Kevie Built 71” RPM

I just received my new RPM from Kevie and I excited to get this one built. Looks like Wayne at Aloft Hobbies will soon be carrying these, but for now you have to order direct from Kevie.
This is a very stout plane and I ordered the glass version with a single layer of carbon. Much more stout than I thought it would have been. Fuse and wing are really strong. Dry the plane weighs 3lbs. Fuse itself weighs 14.1oz, t-tail is 1.9oz and wing is 2lbs. This should end up being a good weight DS ship.
All the controls are designed to be on the bottom of the wing and all the wing surfaces are bottom hinged.

Jeremy
Last edited by Diceman89; Feb 21, 2021 at 03:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2021, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Going to use a 2-56 clevis on one end and a L bend on the tail side for the elevator. I am going to put a carbon rod over the 2-56 for strength.
I had a nice MKS HV6130H sitting in my collection for a while now. I’ll be using that for the elevator.
Feb 21, 2021, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
This plane does not come with a ballast tube, but it has plenty of room for one in the fuse. This is a 18mm ID carbon tube with 17mm diameter ballast that I had. Each piece is 3.3oz and I have 4. Perfect!
Trying to figure out how to lock them on place. Hmmmm
Last edited by Diceman89; Feb 21, 2021 at 04:15 PM.
Feb 21, 2021, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Ok. Got the elevator setup where I’ll glue it one. The pushrod is made and I am making it so I can remove the t-tail, so I offset the horn on the elevator surface to be able to slide it off. JW quick weld drying.
Feb 21, 2021, 08:35 PM
Mr Windburner
Thanks Jeremy for starting a build thread.
I have included some photos of a RPM I have recently built for myself, I did have another RPM but on it's maiden I had a guy watching it fly he brought it off me before I could even land it which put a lot of pressure on me to land it safely without damaging it, which I had no problems with, the flaps slow it down really nicely.
Kev
Feb 22, 2021, 12:02 AM
Congrats Jeremy, that is a great looking glider. Looking forward to see put the hammer down with it

WOW Kev, you are amazing, thanks for making these available and joining the thread here.

Mehrdad
Feb 24, 2021, 08:24 AM
pnc
pnc
Rite on
Feb 24, 2021, 08:38 AM
“A NEW DAY IS DAWNING “
She’s a beauty Jeremy.

Nice kevie.
Feb 25, 2021, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

So there is lots of room in this fuse since no servo tray is needed. I am trying to decide which battery pack set up I should make.
These Sanyo 20700’s fit in there just fine. Or I could use Samsung 18650’s or 18500’s. Hmmmm. Nice to have a choice for sure.
Feb 25, 2021, 10:22 AM
Thread OP
Here is the setup I am going to use for my ballast tube. Quite basic actually, but works fine.
Quickly cut a slot in the tube and had some kind of dense packing foam laying around.
Feb 27, 2021, 12:49 AM
Certifiable User
Subbed, waiting for my flouro red one

Lee
Feb 28, 2021, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Ok. Did a little more today.
Finally got the elevator glued in. I changed over to 4-40 rod for strength and had to drill out the elevator horn some more. I am sure most of you know this tip already, but it is much easier to drill out if you tape a drill bit inside a tube to drill it out with.
Got the wing on the bench and started cutting off tabs, filing the wire harness hole ends and a stuffed up the bottom part of the servos. For added strength (can’t have too much) I put in a ply wood cross brace for the elevator.
Yesterday, 09:07 AM
“A NEW DAY IS DAWNING “
Go Jeremy! Go!
Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky angels
go jeremy! Go!

Trying. Exited to get this one going.
Yesterday, 11:05 AM
That is a good looking bird.