This thread is privately moderated by scruffy1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2021, 01:55 AM
looking up, down under
Thread OP
Gallery

trottel

finally got my version of thomas b.'s little stunt machine together; the original thread is here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hine-free-plan

it employs a kfm4 airfoil in depron, as is the rest of the plane, barring plywood motor mount and undercarriage former

for those that haven't encountered them, the kline-fogelman family of airfoils are very simple to build and perform admirably at the sizes employed in model aircraft
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/k...ic-explanation

the step is a bit f..ugly, but in the air that's impossible to notice

if you like the idea, the cute "jupiter shrimp" (also a thomas b. design) might tickle your fancy
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post39845079

i modified the details of the trottel's fuselage section (a touch more taper for aesthetics, the motor has a cowl of sorts, and carbon spar nose surrounds to save it from gravel rash and prop bite), and added dual aileron servos to allow some embellishments with the controls (see later)

i also ironed 80 micron laminating plastic on the wing leading sections back to the step; a fold at the leading edge makes the entry sharp and consistent along the span, and strengthens the resistance to nicks from minor impacts - this is the same stuff used for document lamination, and i have since picked up a stash of 75 micron stuff that's as yet untested

the red stripes are 45 micron wing tape from hobbyking (old stock i have had for ages), while the wing tip plates and rudder are fluoro monokote that is hard to miss in the air - same as my binary dlg fin

hinges are blenderm top and bottom, which was applied over the decorations so the deep V in the hinge wouldn't be inclined to disengage

all up weight is 187 grams dry

components :
  • sunnysky x22004 1480kv
  • turnigy plush 12amp exc
  • lemonRx featherlite dsm2 6 channel rx
  • 2s lipo - 370 or 460 mah; can do 3s for crazy speed at this size (an 8043 allegedly generates 450 grams of thrust )
  • 8038 prop - 35 watts at full throttle on 2s, drawing 4.9amps static tested; 8040 and 8043 are contenders depending on performance, and even a 9" will work but i'll need to swap in larger wheels for adequate ground clearance
  • 4x 5gm (nominal) sg50 servos

as yet unflown; i need to hose down the throws with rate switches, and the ultimate goal is to also program flaperons and snap flaps to both up performance, and also get some experience at programming the x9d+

will post some flight video eventually i expect, but it's too hot here currently for my delicate sensibilities
Last edited by scruffy1; Feb 22, 2021 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2022, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
finally got my version of thomas b.'s little stunt machine together; the original thread is here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hine-free-plan

it employs a kfm4 airfoil in depron, as is the rest of the plane, barring plywood motor mount and undercarriage former

for those that haven't encountered them, the kline-fogelman family of airfoils are very simple to build and perform admirably at the sizes employed in model aircraft
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/k...ic-explanation

the step is a bit f..ugly, but in the air that's impossible to notice

if you like the idea, the cute "jupiter shrimp" (also a thomas b. design) might tickle your fancy
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post39845079

i modified the details of the trottel's fuselage section (a touch more taper for aesthetics, the motor has a cowl of sorts, and carbon spar nose surrounds to save it from gravel rash and prop bite), and added dual aileron servos to allow some embellishments with the controls (see later)

i also ironed 80 micron laminating plastic on the wing leading sections back to the step; a fold at the leading edge makes the entry sharp and consistent along the span, and strengthens the resistance to nicks from minor impacts - this is the same stuff used for document lamination, and i have since picked up a stash of 75 micron stuff that's as yet untested

the red stripes are 45 micron wing tape from hobbyking (old stock i have had for ages), while the wing tip plates and rudder are fluoro monokote that is hard to miss in the air - same as my binary dlg fin

hinges are blenderm top and bottom, which was applied over the decorations so the deep V in the hinge wouldn't be inclined to disengage

all up weight is 187 grams dry

components :
  • sunnysky x22004 1480kv
  • turnigy plush 12amp exc
  • lemonRx featherlite dsm2 6 channel rx
  • 2s lipo - 370 or 460 mah; can do 3s for crazy speed at this size (an 8043 allegedly generates 450 grams of thrust )
  • 8038 prop - 35 watts at full throttle on 2s, drawing 4.9amps static tested; 8040 and 8043 are contenders depending on performance, and even a 9" will work but i'll need to swap in larger wheels for adequate ground clearance
  • 4x 5gm (nominal) sg50 servos

as yet unflown; i need to hose down the throws with rate switches, and the ultimate goal is to also program flaperons and snap flaps to both up performance, and also get some experience at programming the x9d+

will post some flight video eventually i expect, but it's too hot here currently for my delicate sensibilities
Excellent build ! with good attention to details.
Aug 23, 2023, 08:49 PM
back in the (RC) cockpit again
Mine, just completed. Ready for maiden next week. I followed your suggestion for motor/prop/ESC/battery so we'll see how that turns out. 189g AUW.

Quick Reply