Feb 20, 2021, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TT .36 pro ABC

I have this engine NIB and with the plug out it has zero pinch.
Every ABC I owe has a serious pinch when new.
I never turn those engines over when new but the TT will turn over like a ringed engine.
It's my only TT engine, so just wondering about it.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2021, 07:17 PM
A man with too many toys
Are those true ABC or just ABN engines like OS makes?

Feb 20, 2021, 07:35 PM
I beleive that is an ABN engine if memory serves. I used a few in helicopters mid 1990's. They were a good running engine.
Feb 20, 2021, 08:30 PM
I think that was a Monday engine.
Feb 20, 2021, 08:42 PM
Still gassin' it.
Maybe a stupid question, but "ABC" does not exclude the engine being ringed.

I have an old SuperTigre G type that is absolutely ABC, but also ringed and with zero pinch.

SuperTigre G60 SeriesX, with new piston and bearings. (1 min 9 sec)
Feb 20, 2021, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
I had read that people were getting TT piston and sleeves to replace their OS sets because the TT were true ABC.

I see no ring and i am guilty of thinking all ABC engines were taper bore.
Feb 20, 2021, 09:10 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Nearly all Thunder Tiger Pro aero engines are ABN. There has been some talk awhile ago that some are true ABC, but I’ve never seen one in the flesh. I think someone had posted a liner from a .36 Pro awhile back and it had real chrome in the bore.

My old .46 Pro (straight needle valve, blue box) had zero pinch when new (cold) also. They’re fitted pretty well and as such run pretty good. The bore is still tapered, but ABN doesn’t do real well when fitted too tight. True ABC engines will be tighter typically, and have a noticeable nip at TDC if you turn it over without a plug in it.
Feb 20, 2021, 09:24 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTodd
I had read that people were getting TT piston and sleeves to replace their OS sets because the TT were true ABC.
Never heard of TT parts being compatible, but the ASP/Magnum/SC parts were compatible with OS' FX line, and the LEO/INC parts were compatible with OS' SF line.

At least for the .46 class engines. Never actually heard about the other sizes.
Feb 20, 2021, 09:45 PM
TT Pro's don't have as much taper in their sleeves as most other ABC/ABN engines. Thunder Tiger found a design that works well. They are amazing sport engines, especially for their cost. Sad to say they are no longer in production. They had help from a retired OS designer who moved to Taiwan.
Feb 20, 2021, 10:10 PM
Thundertiger put stickers on the .36 Pro boxes that stated ABC, but inside the box the instructions stated ABN. When you look through the exhaust port you can see that the cylinder sleeve is not Chromed but nickle plated.

But amazing things could happen and there are maybe some ABC versions out there.

yes some TT engines were ABC and for some of the OS engine designs you could swap out the TT ABC cylinder/piston in them.
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 20, 2021 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Feb 20, 2021, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Nearly all Thunder Tiger Pro aero engines are ABN. There has been some talk awhile ago that some are true ABC, but Iíve never seen one in the flesh. I think someone had posted a liner from a .36 Pro awhile back and it had real chrome in the bore. .
Yes, I have 2 x plane TT Pro 36 (one NIB) and they are indeed ABN. I also have a TT Pro 36 heli engine which is an ABC, I have posted pictures some time ago (referred to above). The ABC has more pinch than the ABN but the later still has good compression with a glow plug.
I guess when the liner is brass the pinch may be important as brass expands quicker than the aluminium piston. With ABN the pinch is probably not as critical because the aluminium piston expands quicker than the steel liner, but that's only a guess,
Feb 20, 2021, 10:59 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippedWings
With ABN the pinch is probably not as critical because the aluminium piston expands quicker than the steel liner, but that's only a guess,
That strikes me as a bit odd, because ABN should still have a brass liner... Where does the steel come from?
Feb 21, 2021, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus
That strikes me as a bit odd, because ABN should still have a brass liner... Where does the steel come from?
The liner of the aero engines appears to be made from steel unless the liner (both inner and outer surface) is finished with nickel. The heli engine on the other hand has a chrome coating on the inner surface but appears to be brass on the outer surface.
Feb 21, 2021, 04:19 AM
Promote what you wear 🙄
I believe that the nickel plated sleeves are entirely plated, where as a true chrome plated sleeves they apply a mask to the outer brass sleeve so the chrome plating will not bond to the outer surfaces.
Feb 21, 2021, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlyer
I believe that the nickel plated sleeves are entirely plated, where as a true chrome plated sleeves they apply a mask to the outer brass sleeve so the chrome plating will not bond to the outer surfaces.
That's very possible, in that case the aero version is in fact ABN and the outer surface is plated and looks like another metal (steel). The ABC (heli) version is as described earlier, it has a very tight pinch even after many gallons when it was used and abused on a TT Raptor some 20 years ago. Interestingly, the ABC liner does not have a very tight fit in the crankcase, it is a surprisingly easy fit.
Last edited by ClippedWings; Feb 21, 2021 at 04:43 AM.

Quick Reply