Mar 02, 2021, 05:58 PM
Recreational Model Plane Pilot
I have never been around a helicopter for more than a quick look so I have no idea what boomanything is, so boombang means nothing at all.

If anyone has a problem with Rhea I'll save you some time.
It is a moon orbiting Saturn or a Greek goddess or a flightless bird. You can pick the one that suits you.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2021, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
I have never been around a helicopter for more than a quick look so I have no idea what boomanything is, so boombang means nothing at all.

If anyone has a problem with Rhea I'll save you some time.
It is a moon orbiting Saturn or a Greek goddess or a flightless bird. You can pick the one that suits you.
HAH!

What is being referred to is the tailboom of the helicopter. Under extreme loading of the mAin rotor 'disc', the main rotor blades can actually hit the tailboom, hence the term 'boom strile'.

And agreed, 'boombang' means nothing at all, literally OR figuratively.

RStrowe
Mar 02, 2021, 06:49 PM
fixated planker dudes bang the keybords

1. strike or put down (something) forcefully and noisily.
Similar: hit strike
Mar 03, 2021, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
HAH!

What is being referred to is the tailboom of the helicopter. Under extreme loading of the mAin rotor 'disc', the main rotor blades can actually hit the tailboom, hence the term 'boom strile'.

And agreed, 'boombang' means nothing at all, literally OR figuratively.

RStrowe
The most common cause I’ve seen, and experienced,
is when screwing up an auto rotation. Usually from
adding too much blade pitch too soon, and losing
rotor speed too high off the ground, then slamming into it.
I’m talking model helis here.
Mar 03, 2021, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombang
fixated planker dudes
I've never understood the fascination myself.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-13414527

Better to stick with booming and banging
Mar 03, 2021, 06:37 AM
Quote:
fixated planker dudes bang the keybords

1. strike or put down (something) forcefully and noisily.
Similar: hit strike
10 years+ model heli flying,
everything from Horizon Hobbies
little micros , to Align T-rex 250s, 450s,
600 nitros;
Gaul 500, Synergy n5c, and more...
been to IRCHA several times,
seen and experienced several boom strikes,
as described above...
and still have never heard “boombang”.
Maybe it’s a regional thing?
Mar 03, 2021, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaflyer
The most common cause I’ve seen, and experienced,
is when screwing up an auto rotation. Usually from
adding too much blade pitch too soon, and losing
rotor speed too high off the ground, then slamming into it.
I’m talking model helis here.
That's cool. I appreciate the info.

I'm one of those 'plankers', have been teaching myself heli flying on a Blade 230. Wanted something challenging.

What knowledge I have of helicopters comes from talking to pilots I've known over the years. People I've known in the business flying everything from Robinson's an Bell's to the big Sikorsky's. Always have been fascinated by the things.

RStrowe
Mar 03, 2021, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Our biggest problem is Home land

We could go back to old days of 27MHZ band and just button little more that free flight.
We have get our radio bands from FCC, just one change by FCC and we are SOL.
They reduce range, take away in real time cameras, or even say everyone is on the 27MHZ band.
I do believe the FAA and FCC is doing there best to keep our hobby alive.

The big question is why the RID other than a license plate.
If Home land want greatest safety they would want transponder, if to close turn off power to motor or even take control
This would done with new receiver's or programming.

Dave
Mar 03, 2021, 12:16 PM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrowe
I'm one of those 'plankers', have been teaching myself heli flying on a Blade 230. Wanted something challenging.
Taught myself to fly 'em with a Series Seventy Kraft and no gyros.

Cripes that makes me feel old
Mar 03, 2021, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Under extreme loading of the mAin rotor 'disc', the main rotor blades can actually hit the tailboom, hence the term 'boom strile'.
actually no load on the semi-rigid underslung 2-bladed main rotor disk, look up; low-G pushover & when that happens then the pilot hears form the boom the bang (deadly), so many Robinson R22 fatal crashes
Mar 03, 2021, 08:21 PM
Quote:
actually no load on the semi-rigid underslung 2-bladed main rotor disk, look up; low-G pushover & when that happens then the pilot hears form the boom the bang (deadly), so many Robinson R22 fatal crashes
Would that not be the description of a negative, or extreme disc load?

RStrowe
Mar 03, 2021, 08:40 PM
Quote:
or extreme disc load
momentary weightlessness on the teetering rotor disk
Mar 03, 2021, 09:06 PM
Quote:
extreme
0-G isn't
extreme load happens on the low RPM rotor & the blades can fold, so just falls out of the sky like a rock
Mar 05, 2021, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
I learned to fly RC by joined a the Fresno Radio Models back 1960's . Be for the training transmitters if you trouble just hand the transmitter back trainer. My train was Nick Kalamata (spellingis wrong). My family everyone built free flight and had pilots license but no one flew RC I was first and father next.

Joining the AMA and a Club is great way to learner to fly.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
Taught myself to fly 'em with a Series Seventy Kraft and no gyros.

Cripes that makes me feel old
Mar 05, 2021, 11:29 AM
Don't worry too much about RID. Soon. according to Bill Gates and Elon Musk, we will all be implanted with a chip in our brain to make us think and behave they way they believe we should.
You will own nothing and be happy while enjoying your lab grown synthetic meat. Meanwhile Bill Gates will be flying around the world warning the rest of us about our own carbon footprint. That includes your model airplanes.
Next week, Bill Gates is going to give a speech about our carbon footprint from aboard his $650 million super yacht.
So don't concern yourselves with how the giverment is going to interfere with our hobby...you won't have it for much longer.
After all you will own nothing and be happy.

Quick Reply