Feb 17, 2021, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Lockdown Spitfire

Finished at last and ready for the end of lockdown - 64 inch 1/7 scale made from B&Q 3mm and 6mm EPS - thanks to “electriflyer” for his 86 inch foam build log on “model flying.co.uk” - although the page seems to be down ATM

Weighs 3030 gms with batteries and sound system so looks like I over engineered it in places

Covered in “wet strength” tissue and WBPU with emulsion paint and final coat of Matt WBPU

500 watts 3s

Spinner, prop, canopy, exhaust and decals from MOTIONRC as spares for their 1600mm Spitfire
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2021, 01:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Very good looking plane ! Please show us a flying video if possible .
Feb 17, 2021, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Not sure when we will be allowed out to play but when we are and if it flies I will post a vid
Feb 17, 2021, 01:45 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Spugxxx great looking Spitfire.

The RCM&E has a new site supplier --- https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/

You may need to log in again. Personally I don't find it that easy to use, it may take time to get used to it.

Ray.
Feb 17, 2021, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ray -I must also give you credit for inspiring me to make a foamie Spitfirein the first place
Feb 17, 2021, 05:04 PM
treefinder
A pair of great looking Spits! Would be great if someday, you two could do some formation flying ! "when the lights come on again, all over the world".....
Feb 17, 2021, 10:15 PM
Scratch building addict
That spit wing looks scale, which means (in my experience at least) it will have some nasty flying characteristics with those pointy wing tips.

But since that is a huge plane and you may have added enough reflex, you may be fine.

As an aside, I know not a single person among my friends and acquaintances that has let any "lockdowns" change their lives, other than wearing a face muzzle when they have to. And even that is ending fast in my neck o the woods.
Feb 18, 2021, 08:23 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Very good looking plane ! Please show us a flying video if possible .
Can you just pretend and make do with this one

16 Spitfires Flying Together The Sound of Victory " Goosebumps " (3 min 28 sec)

Ray
Feb 18, 2021, 08:51 AM
treefinder
Goosebumps for sure! Amazing they could get that many together! I'm sure the video doesn't begin to get to the sound of them all together, though. Had to be there.
Feb 18, 2021, 11:27 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Music to my ears ! Thanks for the video !
Feb 18, 2021, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
The RCM&E has a new site supplier --- https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/

You may need to log in again. Personally I don't find it that easy to use, it may take time to get used to it.

Ray.
It is a total rebuild of the site, on a new platform. Old links don't work.
I didn't have to log in. I've been frequenting a couple of unrelated forums that use that platform. I like it better than the old - but then I already knew how to navigate it.

Oh, the Spitfire looks great. I'd build a different Mk, but that is me.
Mar 10, 2021, 08:44 PM
can you forward the plans I would like to build that
Mar 13, 2021, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Hi - I used the Sterling spitfire plans ( from outer zone I think) and then based the fuse structure on that (6mm foam frames, 3mm skin) - I used the same plan for the wing outline but the structure was based on the Nijhuis spitfire but using 6mm foam ribs and 3mm skins - biggest problem was getting the proper angle on the retracts and getting them to fit inside the wing - also being 90 deg retracts did not help because of the dihedral - cheers
Mar 13, 2021, 07:05 AM
Thread OP
I will dig out the plans later and post them
Mar 13, 2021, 09:08 AM
Thread OP
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=824

Quick Reply