Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:25 PM
SchiessCo is offline
Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Registered User
SchiessCo's Avatar
Build Log

Mountain Models ETana build thread - Part II


We are long overdue for part two of the Mountain Models ETana build thread

Part I - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363597

Let's keep it rolling!

Pete
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:50 PM
jojonz is offline
Find More Posts by jojonz
Registered User
jojonz's Avatar
Looks great Andy, and your cowl colour match is perfect, presuming you painted it?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:26 PM
rclark is offline
Find More Posts by rclark
A Clinger
rclark's Avatar
Looks good! You know you can always buy some solite blue or black to dress it up later . I tend to add trim later after a few flights anyway ....

Oh, yes, Eric Stripped the gear of the HS-81 on the Rudder, so now we put in a HS-81MG . That should do the trick .

Couple of pictures for this thread .
Last edited by rclark; Jun 15, 2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:29 PM
avsjr is offline
Find More Posts by avsjr
Registered User
avsjr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojonz
Looks great Andy, and your cowl colour match is perfect, presuming you painted it?
Thanks - yes, painted the cowl - using Tamiya Spray - I found the yellow and red are pretty good matches...

Andy S.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:33 PM
avsjr is offline
Find More Posts by avsjr
Registered User
avsjr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Looks good! You know you can always buy some solite blue or black to dress it up later . I tend to add trim later after a few flights anyway ....

Couple of pictures for this thread .
Thanks! I have both blue and black Solite - but after starting the covering with the Solarfilm, then taking it off and re-doing with the Solite, I was just not ready to do any trim - I'll fly a few flights first like you suggest!

Andy S.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:11 AM
GoRgOyL is offline
Find More Posts by GoRgOyL
Registered User
GoRgOyL's Avatar
Andy ~ What are you talking about, it looks good! Yeah, you should play around more with the gearing on your mega/cobri set-up, a ratio of 3:1 should place you at around 200W and 50+ oz thrust.

Got the replacement cobri last weekend and is purring nicely on the Etana now, I'm satisfied with it. (mega 16/15/3)


Rod
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:32 AM
avsjr is offline
Find More Posts by avsjr
Registered User
avsjr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRgOyL
Andy ~ What are you talking about, it looks good! Yeah, you should play around more with the gearing on your mega/cobri set-up, a ratio of 3:1 should place you at around 200W and 50+ oz thrust.
Got the replacement cobri last weekend and is purring nicely on the Etana now, I'm satisfied with it. (mega 16/15/3)
Rod
Thanks Rod! I guess it's just kinda boring to me because it's the same as others I have - but I love the overall looks of this plane and it is a great kit!
I'm going to order a spur gear and a couple of pinions to play with the ratio - but still thinking of a replacement motor so I can put the Mega back on the Attitude..

Andy S.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:50 AM
jojonz is offline
Find More Posts by jojonz
Registered User
jojonz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsjr
Thanks - yes, painted the cowl - using Tamiya Spray - I found the yellow and red are pretty good matches...

Andy S.

I have used the Tamiya TS 16 as a yellow Solite match, but what is the code on the Red spray can, Andy?
Thanks

David
Old Jun 16, 2005, 05:39 AM
BoneDoc is offline
Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Team 3DHS
BoneDoc's Avatar
I was wondering why I didn't get any more threads on the ETana
Old Jun 16, 2005, 08:43 AM
avsjr is offline
Find More Posts by avsjr
Registered User
avsjr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojonz
I have used the Tamiya TS 16 as a yellow Solite match, but what is the code on the Red spray can, Andy?
Thanks David
It's TS 8 - "Italian Red"
Andy S.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:41 AM
tbushman is offline
Find More Posts by tbushman
Registered User
Help - Motor Tears Loose!

I wonder if anyone has seen a problem like this before. I've got a Hyperion Z3013 for my ETana with a CC 35 ESC. I mounted it and put on a balanced APC 10x7 E prop. The motor starts right up and seems to run smoothly up to about 1/3 throttle. When I advance the throttle further, it starts to vibrate very badly. So much so, that it ripped right through the motor mount. Needless to say, this made me very unhappy! Fortunately, I did this initial test before mounting the cowl!

So, my first suspicion was that the propellor wasn't balanced. I checked it, though, and it seems to be dead-on. So now I have three more theories: 1) bad solder joint between ESC and motor, 2) bad ESC, 3) short in motor.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed, or thoughts on my theories?

Thanks,


-Tom
Old Jun 16, 2005, 01:26 PM
Tram is offline
Find More Posts by Tram
Fly it like you stole it..
Tram's Avatar
Subcription to thread numero dos.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:36 PM
kwilliby is offline
Find More Posts by kwilliby
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbushman
Help - Motor Tears Loose!

I wonder if anyone has seen a problem like this before. I've got a Hyperion Z3013 for my ETana with a CC 35 ESC. I mounted it and put on a balanced APC 10x7 E prop. The motor starts right up and seems to run smoothly up to about 1/3 throttle. When I advance the throttle further, it starts to vibrate very badly. So much so, that it ripped right through the motor mount. Needless to say, this made me very unhappy! Fortunately, I did this initial test before mounting the cowl!

So, my first suspicion was that the propellor wasn't balanced. I checked it, though, and it seems to be dead-on. So now I have three more theories: 1) bad solder joint between ESC and motor, 2) bad ESC, 3) short in motor.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed, or thoughts on my theories?

Thanks,


-Tom
I'm using an AXI 2814-12, 3s lipoly and 10x5 apc prop. My first power up on the bench and at about 1/2 throttle it vibrated really badly. I found that the 1/16" firewall on the front of the motor box came loose from the rest of the motor mount. With my larger motor it was just too flimsy i guess. So I took another piece of 1x16" plywood and laminated it to the back side of existing one. I then took some balsa triangle stock and epoxied it in all four corners of the motor mount box. It feels really nice and firm now and didn't add much weight at all.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:39 PM
kwilliby is offline
Find More Posts by kwilliby
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Looks good! You know you can always buy some solite blue or black to dress it up later . I tend to add trim later after a few flights anyway ....

Oh, yes, Eric Stripped the gear of the HS-81 on the Rudder, so now we put in a HS-81MG . That should do the trick .

Couple of pictures for this thread .
nice planes! where did you get your spinners? I have an AXI outrunner with a 4mm shaft and am having a hard time finding a decent spinner. I'd like to post a picture of the plane but it looks kinda dumb with the 2.5" spinner backplate I have on it just so I can get a prop mounted for an initial flight.
Last edited by kwilliby; Jun 16, 2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:02 AM
rclark is offline
Find More Posts by rclark
A Clinger
rclark's Avatar
It's a Standard MpJet Alumimum Precision spinner. They do look nice. Collet type so easy to attach. Had one on my Groove, and now the Jitterbug as well. Sizes 2.3mm through 5mm.

Esprit Models carries them .

From Experience with these mounts in the past, I had Eric beef up the motor mount on his E-Tana from the get go. Pretty much what you did. Remember to reinforce the firewall as well ... the motor will be pulling and yanking the mount attached to it!

Couple of other planes that used this spinner. I Did have to grind the slots a bit to get the bigger E props to fit. Not much though ...
Last edited by rclark; Jun 17, 2005 at 12:13 AM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fanfold Corsair Build Thread Part 2 Vyceroy Foamies (Kits) 230 Apr 14, 2010 12:49 PM
I got some Fan Fold what to build thread part II started by emoone!!! Don Sims Foamies (Kits) 188 Jan 23, 2010 09:28 PM
Mountain Models Magpie build thread Rat Parkflyers 19 Dec 31, 2008 09:45 PM
Mountain Models ETana build thread AirWarriorBelgy 3D Flying 577 Jun 15, 2005 10:26 PM
MY Mountain Models MiniFlash Build Aldur Parkflyers 44 Mar 15, 2003 01:49 AM