Feb 14, 2021, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scale (almost) Docks & Shipyards . Ideas & Photos Welcome

I'd like to add a floating (portable) dock to my RC boat collection. I live near a pond but it's community owned. So I can't leave stuff behind.
My first attempt was a mash-up of PVC tubing and toy buildings kept afloat with swimming noodles.
It was OK but construction wasn't too swift. It's now in a pile somewhere.

I wonder if others have built portable dockyards which they like.
If so would you share the materials used....sources.....rough dimensions... building tricks & tips...and the like? Photos would be great!

All ideas (large or small) are welcome as I plan another adventure.

Thanks to all,
Airwave52
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2021, 02:45 PM
Built this dock for the pond to navigate up to. 28" x 14" Floats on block of old packing foam. The two verticle steel rods on the right end slide thru deck to hold in position. Has a ramp that can go down to just above water level warfs. More info if required.
Feb 14, 2021, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
The is really well done and looks terrific. A real head turner on the water.
I like the foam packing idea....far more stable and less obtrusive than my original noodle idea.
Thanks for the tips. All good.
I hope others will enjoy it too.
Feb 14, 2021, 09:34 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Reach out to Garboard. You will be amazed!
Feb 14, 2021, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Chum444
Thank you for the lead. Another great tip. Much appreciated.
Feb 14, 2021, 10:19 PM
KC8WPF
Here are two piers that I built. The wood one is 36" long x 6" wide x 1.75" thick. It was made from some pressure treated lumber cut offs. The other one is foam insulation covered with HO Scale styrene (steel) sheet pile. It is 45" long x 4.5" wide x 2" thicl.
Feb 14, 2021, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
CG Bob
Some good ideas in the photos. The planking makes a large improvement as compared to my first attempt.
Also, seems like a foam block of some sort definitely needs to be at the core of my next attempt.
Thanks a million!
Feb 14, 2021, 11:09 PM
Red oak on blue foam in three sections with PVC pipe for pilings, A few left uncapped to rods through . If you are going to use wood seal it well. I ran into issues with the wood swelling after siting in water for 6 hrs.
Feb 15, 2021, 01:57 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Mine was simply wood strips on foam floatation.
Strips were ripped off of scrap 2x4, and glued to stringers, with
foam flotation glued underneath.

It would be nice to have a set up like the St. Peter's Black Forest modelbau club, or

SMG Ijmond
https://www.smgijmond.nl/

Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Feb 15, 2021 at 02:05 AM.
Feb 15, 2021, 10:11 AM
Old Duffer
Here's another take on a floating dock. (Thank you Chum.)

The dock has separate lights for the "office" and pier, animated sliding barn doors, a radio, a piped-in fish cleaning station with running water, and a set of remote controlled anchors.
It's glued and nailed, then left out to weather. There's a second dock that attaches to this one giving a total of 30' (literal) of dock space.
Feb 15, 2021, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
John Scale Boat; Umi_Ryuzuki; Garboard:
Thank you very much for posting your beautiful, stunning examples.

To All Who Have Posted:
The collective work shown in this thread is absolutely remarkable!
Your contributions are greatly appreciated.
I won't be topping anyone's work here....but I have some super ideas/concepts to keep me moving forward.
This hobby is populated by some truly terrific people.
Thank you.

Of course, more examples are welcome...large or small.
Perhaps this thread will be useful for others too as they pursue projects on the scale that's right for them.
Feb 17, 2021, 09:53 PM

1/32nd Scale Dock for W.T. Preston Snagboat

After finishing my model of the snagboat W.T. Preston, I built this 8-foot long wharf in the style of a 1930s dock. After consulting old photos of actual docks the build began. No plans were drawn up and it was 'build-as-you-go'. Preston's actual home port was located just east of the Hiram Chittenden locks in Seattle, Washington. The dock breaks down into two, 4-foot sections and it rests on two 2X12 inch x 8 foot planks that lock together. The planks also do double duty as ramps to load the Preston in my minivan. The dock features radio-controlled lights in and outside of the two buildings. The crane is also radio-controlled. On the wharf is a die-cast 1/32nd scale model of a 1925 US Army pickup truck.
Last edited by hookpilot; Feb 17, 2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: adding photos
Feb 18, 2021, 01:22 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Here's one for a 1/48 scale Tennessee, from one of our club members.
Feb 20, 2021, 07:08 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Here are a few from our freinds up in Burnaby and what they have/use on a regular basis when having fun.

Quick Reply