Apr 18, 2002, 05:16 PM
Thread OP

Texas Twister flys, and she flys great!!!

Thanks guys for all your help, and making my first attempt at a HLG a great success. Now all I have to do is get up enough courage to discus launch it.

My friend who has the Texas Twister test flew mine and put it through its paces. What was best of all, my Twister didn't need any trimming. It is almost hard to believe, I guess I did everything right. I even put a piece of counter weight to match the peg, and that was even right. But it will still take time getting use to it, and I have tall weeds to make for a soft landing. If I am a little short on the landing, I have a valley 30 feet below that is lined with weeds. It sure makes for a soft landing.

I believe I threw it about 30 times, that is even with a stiff wind that would grab a hold of the Twister and make it difficult to hold on to. Needless to say, I waited for a lull to get a launch in. It gets me exited to try flying it again. Not bad for a guy with no experience flying HLG's?

Henry
Last edited by hmhoshi; Apr 20, 2002 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2002, 06:04 PM
Stay away from wind. That is what slope gliders are for. You will break it in wind. I did.
Apr 18, 2002, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Gman2;

I will keep your words in mind, although the Texas Twister seems at home in the wind. I practice shallows turns and fast down wind runs, that didn't pose any problems The wind didn't make it hard to handle, it almost made it easier. I just had to pick a spot to land, and judge when I didn't have enough lift to get back.

What type of winds do you fly your HLG in? Granted I know my Texas Twister is pretty fragile, and it is not a sloper. But today, I felt pretty confident in a light breeze. When it started gusting I put it up.

They are predicting calm weather tomorrow with decreasing winds, so I hope to get some more practice in. Maybe if I am lucky, I will be able to find a boomer that will really take me up.

Henry
Apr 18, 2002, 11:50 PM
RCGroups Author
It's not hard, or really even dangerous, to fly in heavy wind, but it does take a bit of care. I've successfully flown my Encore in winds that had it hovering immediately after launch (~25 kph?). You can't do a full-rotation launch (you don't NEED it), but launch heights are still great for the ego! You learn quite a lot simply because the airplane stays in close, and covers a LOT of air very quickly.
Apr 19, 2002, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
Soarneck;

Your right, my Twister would hover in the wind and sometimes I would find lift. I can't say how strong the wind was, but it was strong enough to have the trees moving slight and the weeds in the valley moving. That is suppose to be about 8 to 13 knots.

I will try to get up the courage to discus launch it. My friend told me to release the launch switch just as I release my Twister, is that right? By doing it that way, will you prevent it from stalling at the top. I don't know if I was able to release the launch mode exactly as he said, but I was able to get it to climb about thirty feet. I just didn't want to push my luck.

How do you go about learning to discus launch? I suppose you start slow and easy, like learning a golf swing. Power and speed comes later, right.

I am really looking for to the next day flying the Twister,

Henry
Apr 19, 2002, 11:37 AM
RCGroups Author
Well, I taught myself, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to. Have you pegged the tip yet? If not, please do so. It's actually EASIER on the airframe, since you're not squashing/bending the wingtip.

First thing, don't go all-out on your first toss, but don't be a sissy about it either. Pansy throws don't allow the aircraft to stabilize itself in the yaw, and can be dangerous to airframe longevity Just start by doing a half-rotation, making sure to release the model level with the ground (for now), and use whatever presets are recommended by Carl McBurnett.

You don't neccessarily release the preset right away, but it's not a bad idea. I use a gyro on the rudder, and an adjustable (via slider) preset on the elevator. I release the elevator when the model is about vertical, and bunt over the top to prevent stalling right as it runs out of kinetic energy. Just like a zoom launch with bigger models, it just takes practice. Stalling an HLG isn't dangerous, remember, so see how much you can squeak out of each launch. In DLG, every bit helps.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the gyro is disabled after I release the elevator preset. Don't leave them active all the time, since you kill many thermal cues.
Apr 19, 2002, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Soarneck;

I already have my peg installed and reinforced in the wing. However I am not sure whether I placed it right. My friend on his attempts to use my peg, would get the Twister upside down and in a precerious position. I am not sure if he induced that type of launch. I am thinking about shortening my pegs, because they rise above and below the wing about an inch. But I will have to wait and see.

I have all the presets installed on my radio that Carl recommended. Half a rotation sounds like the way to learn, I will give that a try. I have set the launch mode on the trainer switch, and I should release it just before it reaches its maximum altitude.
I should take a few dry runs to get the rotation down, so I can release it into the wind. Luckily we have a valley 30 feet below the runway, so stalls aren't that much of a risk. You just have to hike down and get your glider.

The wind is blowing harder than yesterday, I hope she will calm down this afternoon. Is the Kestrel 3000 a good investment for hand launch? Maybe I will get one, so I can tell how hard the wind is really blowing.

Thanks for all your help Henry

P.S. A special thank you to Kovacsj, thanks for all your help and words of encouragement.
Last edited by hmhoshi; Apr 20, 2002 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply