Apr 18, 2002, 05:15 PM
Thread OP

building 3 cell li-ion packs, precautions?

Ive seen hints and tips all over the web and this site, but I wanted to pull it all together into one forum (the search did not find any already existing).

Im going to build 2 3 cell qualcomm li-ion packs tommorow. This is my plan:

1. Charge each pack (3 total) for 6 hrs. Ive read that after one hour, when the green light goes out, the pack is 90 % full...the extra 5 hrs should peak it off.

2. Disassemble the two packs. Remove the circuits, separate 2 cells. Assemble the three cell packs (2) with CA.

3. Using flux, tin whatever terminals need soldered (those that are not welded). Tin the radioshack soldering/desoldering braid.

4. Quickly finish the packs together, add connector, shrink wrap.

5. Fly and have fun!

Sound ok? Ill probably use a 25 w soldering pen and JST connectors, will that be ok?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Scott

How does this sound?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2002, 06:49 PM
pushing the extremes
Couple of comments...

True the light comes on in about an hour and they are almost charged up, but it doesn't take another 5 hours to top them off. It's been my experience that they will go just about as much as they are going to go in another 45 min or 1 hour.

I would be hesitant to work with the packs in a fully charged state. I would suggest working with them in a discharged state, because if you do accidentally short something out (mistakes happen), the worst that can happen is you drop below the 3 volts and render the cell unusable. If you short out a fully charged one, look out.

How are you planning on re-charging them after the pack is assembled?

- Zoom -
Apr 18, 2002, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Zoom,

Thanks for the heads up. Ive already got some charging, so Ill probably just go ahead with how they are, but will do so very carefully. Ive got an orbit to take care of the charging the 3 cell packs.

Scott

Quick Reply