1/2 Scale Twin Engine Pond Racer Flight Demo

Check out this awesome video below of a 95lb 1/2 scale Pond Racer twin flying. It's a thing a beauty!

Splash

95lb Half Scale Twin!!

Check out this awesome video of a 1/2 scale Pond Racer twin flying. It's a thing a beauty! The Pond Racer is a twin engine, twin boom airplane that was developed by Burt Rutan for Bob Pond, thus the name Pond Racer.

The plane in the video below is a one half scale RC model of the Pond Racer that is made from carbon fiber and other composites. The wingspan is 3.7M with a length of 3.1M. It weighs nearly 95lbs with fuel and runs on two DLA engines. This demo video shows pilot Harald Jezek flying at the Euroflugtag Rheidt event in Germany. Tell us what you think of the Pond Racer in the comments below.

Feb 11, 2021, 11:59 AM
Want One!!!
(will never happen... lol)
Feb 11, 2021, 01:59 PM
>
>
>> Cool. I like it.
Feb 11, 2021, 04:55 PM
AMA 46133
Looked like it needed some refinement on the pitch control. Lucky the tip stall was mild.
Feb 11, 2021, 06:07 PM
Intermediate Multi
Those two ignition engines sound nice. That's probably enough horsepower to get a full-scale ultralight off the ground.
Feb 11, 2021, 06:26 PM
I remember being at Reno for the Pond racer's debut. It was going all right until an engine let go and a successful landing was made after the 'mayday' callout. A friend might chime in about how those guys would push the engines he built past their limits against his recommendations!

BTW... very neat model!
Feb 11, 2021, 07:31 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
You can buy a smaller version here from Germany

https://acr-composite.com/?page_id=258
Feb 11, 2021, 09:58 PM
rrg
rrg
Wow, at a good price^^
Feb 11, 2021, 10:56 PM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Looked like it needed some refinement on the pitch control. Lucky the tip stall was mild.
It did kind of fly like it was tail heavy didn't it??

Scott
Feb 12, 2021, 09:41 AM
The CG looked OK until the landing. To me it looked like he didn't have a mix to compensate for the pitch up caused by the flaps. His manual compensation didn't look so good. Not to mention that it was slowwwwww.
Feb 12, 2021, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylonracr
It did kind of fly like it was tail heavy didn't it??

Scott
Yeah, I didn't think it flew particularly great either so I'm a bit surprised by the more positive comments. I thought the pilot was either intentionally knife edging the turns... or it has a serious amount of adverse yaw.
Feb 12, 2021, 10:25 AM
San Antonio TX.
95 lbs. seams heavy for such a small airplane.

Bob
Feb 12, 2021, 11:26 AM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
95 lbs. seams heavy for such a small airplane.

Bob
Good point. It is kind of a flying brick....

Scott
Feb 12, 2021, 06:04 PM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
The CG looked OK until the landing. To me it looked like he didn't have a mix to compensate for the pitch up caused by the flaps. His manual compensation didn't look so good. Not to mention that it was slowwwwww.
Sadly the full scale Pond Racer was never very fast either. The aerodynamicist that did the Cd calculations missed by a bunch. It wasn't until the plane flew that they figured out that 3 fuselages and a wing and a half doesn't make for less drag....

Scott
Feb 12, 2021, 07:54 PM
Promote what you wear 🙄
And it takes an aerodynamicist to realize that.

J K A S

Quick Reply