Feb 11, 2021, 08:02 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
Discussion

Microaces Mimmi build and review

Microaces Mimmi build thread and review.. I have been looking at the Microaces kits for a while and finally decided to give one a go for a winter project. Shipping was unbelievably fast, my kit arrived in 7 days!! The last few orders that I have placed from US based companies have taken almost two weeks to arrive, including one that I payed $13 for 2 day shipping

She sure is sexy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2021, 09:10 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
The kit was very well packaged and arrived in perfect condition. all the electronics and drivetrain were contained inside a separate small box and the assortment of foam sheets were securely packed inside a nicely padded pouch.
Feb 11, 2021, 09:51 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
Although I have done many repairs on different foam aircraft this will be my first total ground up foamy build. To familiarize myself on the process I've been watching some of Jons videos and have managed to pick up several potentially helpful technics along the way.

This series on the SE5a is great, although it's not what I'm building there's tons of useful info that will crossover to any Microaces build..

Microaces SE5a (V2.0)* Build - PART 1 (59 min 2 sec)
Last edited by c2zinn; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM.
Feb 11, 2021, 11:18 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
The instruction manual is nicely done with good detail however assembly will take a little bit of forward thinking as there isn't any step by step written instructions only visual graphics indicating required steps.. I highly recommend dry fitting parts before applying glue, not only will this familiarize you with the actual assembly it's also an opportunity to make sure everything fits correctly and is located in it's proper place.
Feb 11, 2021, 04:30 PM
I'll be following your build! I've built the SE5a, Bristol and just finished the DH.2. My son has built the Nieuport and is almost finished with the D.VII! I would like to build a D.VII someday, and would choose the same livery you chose. The builds are fantastic and they fly so floaty and smooth! Hopefully my son and I will get our maiden flights in next week.

Glad shipping was fast. In the beginning of the pandemic shipping was slow. I ordered the DH.2 in November so it would be here in time for Christmas. It came in about 10 days! My son's D.VII took 5 weeks to get here - but it was held up in customs (I think in the UK as well as US customs). Thankfully it arrived just before Christmas!

My next build will be the Sopwith Camel. I won't start it until late March as it is a birthday present.

You'll enjoy the build! Very satisfying build and nothing like seeing your hard work in the sky!

Just remember, lighter fluid is your friend! If you need to try something again, or not satisfied with how something lines up you can dissovle the glue with lighter fluid. Apply with a small paint brush. It won't hurt the foam or the printing.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Mike
Feb 11, 2021, 06:14 PM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
I'll be following your build! I've built the SE5a, Bristol and just finished the DH.2. My son has built the Nieuport and is almost finished with the D.VII! I would like to build a D.VII someday, and would choose the same livery you chose. The builds are fantastic and they fly so floaty and smooth! Hopefully my son and I will get our maiden flights in next week.

Glad shipping was fast. In the beginning of the pandemic shipping was slow. I ordered the DH.2 in November so it would be here in time for Christmas. It came in about 10 days! My son's D.VII took 5 weeks to get here - but it was held up in customs (I think in the UK as well as US customs). Thankfully it arrived just before Christmas!

My next build will be the Sopwith Camel. I won't start it until late March as it is a birthday present.

You'll enjoy the build! Very satisfying build and nothing like seeing your hard work in the sky!

Just remember, lighter fluid is your friend! If you need to try something again, or not satisfied with how something lines up you can dissovle the glue with lighter fluid. Apply with a small paint brush. It won't hurt the foam or the printing.

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Mike

Thanks for stopping by.. your sons DVII looks fantastic! hopefully mine will look half as good.. lol. Haven't done much stick building since the bind and fly craze took over but occasionally I still get the urge to build something, I love vintage scale aircraft and this kit looks like a fun one.

I've been digging around for my lighter fluid, any particular brand you use? Think mine is zippo

Charles
Feb 11, 2021, 06:25 PM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP

D.VII kit components

The Included foam sheeting, stickers and other assorted components.. the laser cutting looks good and everything is nicely printed and numbered except for the 2mm frame parts.
Feb 11, 2021, 06:32 PM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP

Drivetrain and electronics

Supplied electronics and drivetrain.. this stuff is tiny!!
Feb 11, 2021, 07:13 PM
Charles -

Thanks! My son does a nice job building. His attention to detail and patience is beyond most 13 year old kids!

Yup - Zippo lighter fluid is what I use. The recommended glue is UHU Por. That can be hard to find in the States (although I did find it on Amazon for $10.00). I personally like Foam-Tac. They both are a contact cement and share similar properties. I think UHU Por is a little thinner and flows easier, but I find if you slightly warm up the Foam-Tac it flows better. I keep it in the basement so is a little thick until it warms up. The important thing is that both glues dissolve with lighter fluid. I wish I knew about the lighter fluid as I could have more easily fixed some minor issues with my SE5a and Bristol. I needed it a lot with the DH.2!

Have fun with the build! The videos if the D.VII show it should be a wonderful slow flyer as well as being able to fly nimble and quick! Hopefully I'll have a flight report on it when it gets it's maiden flight!

Mike
Feb 11, 2021, 08:04 PM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP

2mm Depron labeling

Although there's a diagram included within the assembly guide I though it would be a good idea to label the individual parts from the 2mm depron sheet, it's the only one with no print or markings and knowing me this will save some time and mistakes in the long run
Feb 11, 2021, 08:22 PM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
Charles -

Thanks! My son does a nice job building. His attention to detail and patience is beyond most 13 year old kids!

Yup - Zippo lighter fluid is what I use. The recommended glue is UHU Por. That can be hard to find in the States (although I did find it on Amazon for $10.00). I personally like Foam-Tac. They both are a contact cement and share similar properties. I think UHU Por is a little thinner and flows easier, but I find if you slightly warm up the Foam-Tac it flows better. I keep it in the basement so is a little thick until it warms up. The important thing is that both glues dissolve with lighter fluid. I wish I knew about the lighter fluid as I could have more easily fixed some minor issues with my SE5a and Bristol. I needed it a lot with the DH.2!

Have fun with the build! The videos if the D.VII show it should be a wonderful slow flyer as well as being able to fly nimble and quick! Hopefully I'll have a flight report on it when it gets it's maiden flight!

Mike
Thanks.. I have some foam tac on hand and also some bob smith foam safe CA but I've decided to use UHU on this build so I have some in route, I just wasn't sure about lighter fluid as I've never tried it before.

It's great your son is interested in the hobby, mine never gave a hoot about RC when he was that age, he's almost 40 now and still doesn't.. lol, my daughter on the other hand has always been interested in anything involving aviation.

Im all about low and slow these days, all our club fields are now subdivisions or parking lots, they have banned RC in all the local parks and the few remaining vacant lots near me now are covered with no trespassing signs I now fly in my yard or street and sometimes my living room

Charles
Feb 11, 2021, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2zinn
Thanks.. I have some foam tac on hand and also some bob smith foam safe CA but I've decided to use UHU on this build so I have some in route, I just wasn't sure about lighter fluid as I've never tried it before.

It's great your son is interested in the hobby, mine never gave a hoot about RC when he was that age, he's almost 40 now and still doesn't.. lol, my daughter on the other hand has always been interested in anything involving aviation.

Im all about low and slow these days, all our club fields are now subdivisions or parking lots, they have banned RC in all the local parks and the few remaining vacant lots near me now are covered with no trespassing signs I now fly in my yard or street and sometimes my living room

Charles
Yeah, I'm lucky to have a son interested in all things aviation. He does great plastic scale models, a little stick building, and now 2 Microaces kits. He's an excellent RC pilot, too.

We are lucky to get to fly indoors at a huge field during the winter. We were shut down in early November because of Covid. We are supposed to get to start up again next Friday. I don't belong to a club or fly at an RC field - all I fly is micro sized. RC fields are too far and dues too expensive. Thankfully many parks and parking lots are still legal to use here in Illinois.

Let me know how you like the UHU Por compared to Foam-Tac. I've never used the UHU Por before. Good you have some foam safe CA. Most of the build the UHU Por will be good, but there are a few times foam safe CA has come in handy.

Jon's 13 part build series on the SE5a will definitely be helpful. (I think he's only released 1-12. 13 is still not edited yet).

Mike
Feb 12, 2021, 09:54 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP

Airframe components

Required airframe components and dry fit mockup
Feb 12, 2021, 10:02 AM
Looks good! I like the idea of labeling the parts, too! Great idea.
Feb 12, 2021, 10:18 AM
It's a sickness..
Thread OP
I can see this is going to be a lot easier than my other micro project.. lol

Fokker EIII

Quick Reply