Feb 05, 2021, 09:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Winch Parachutes

Any recommendations on where I can find good winch launch parachutes? The kind lady that used to make ours has passed away. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I'm ready to pay a seamstress to make a couple.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2021, 10:38 AM
Mr Kite , extreme high quality chutes
Feb 05, 2021, 10:57 AM

Maybe

Hello:
I may have one left in shop. I bought a sewing machine to make them after my seamstress stopped.............
1) Find JoAnne Fabrics, they have ripstop fabric, different colors and weights.
2) Cut a 1/8" ply trianglar pattern. My chutes were 5 panel
3) Sew one panel to the other with a double stich.
4) Sew winch tow line into the outside of the panels at the joints.( Memphis Line and Twine)
5) The twine shound be about 3 feet long.
6) The top of each panel must be blunt about an inch. This leaves a hole for the air to escape
7) I used solid metal "O" rings, (Any hardware store) DO NOT USE split "O" rings as they will dis-assemble on tension
8) I used a very heavy duty fishing lure swivel on the winch end.
9)) Check with a local clothing alteratorations/seamstress as they can do the sewing.
10) Good luck! making chutes is not a triial exercise!

The reason you do not see them in stock, is the amount of time needed to make just one chute. Probably an hour or more per chute!!!! I suspect that modern chutes made in the USA would sell for $35+.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by et4989
Any recommendations on where I can find good winch launch parachutes? The kind lady that used to make ours has passed away. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I'm ready to pay a seamstress to make a couple.

I will check to see if I have one left in shop. Check with the rocket guys as they use them to return the spent sections to the ground??
regards
Jim aka vintagesailplaner reply via [email protected]
Feb 05, 2021, 12:29 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
http://4mrkite.com/Chutes.html Here you go Can Ship the next day Thank You PS they will have lines sewn in and a 5/8" ring on top when shipped Ready to Go
Last edited by 4MrKite; Feb 05, 2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add photo
Feb 05, 2021, 12:52 PM

Found some

Hello:
I found about a dozen chutes, one of my first from my original company "Archaeopteryx Avion Associates", in the 1970's Single 30" in circular piece. It still has the fabric label attached to it. And then I went to multiple panels/zigzg stiching, similar to the present day multi-colored Mr Kite's versions. His price of $20 is a real bargin!!

If you send me your address, I'll send you a single piece chute. I will never wear out a dozen chutes.

cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by et4989
Feb 05, 2021, 01:06 PM
I have 6 of the good ones with the netting that still need the rings sewn on. The price is $120 for all six + $4 shipping Includes the strapping for the rings, but no rings.
You can get the rings here: https://www.amazon.com/Sydien-Stainl...75&s=hi&sr=1-1

tom

[email protected]
Feb 06, 2021, 01:31 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
You cannot go wrong getting a Mr Kite chute. I am lucky to know him and fly with him. He puts decades of flying experience into every chute he makes.

Wayne
Feb 07, 2021, 03:06 PM
Thread OP
THX for the tips. I will get in touch with Mr. Kite.
Feb 07, 2021, 05:06 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Here is some almost ready to go Very Cold out side today So made Super Chutes ...All Here are 4 sale Photo #4 are the 10" ones the All Red one has been Sold if you liked I can make you another
Last edited by 4MrKite; Feb 12, 2021 at 08:13 AM. Reason: add photo

Quick Reply