Feb 05, 2021, 03:45 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

FPV Head Tracker - Single board, wireless, easy

Hey all thought I would start a new thread for a new Head-tracker I've programmed. Using the Arduino Nano 33 BLE I was able to get some pretty cool features while only requiring a single $21 board.

Build information Here
https://headtracker.gitbook.io/head-tracker/

Features
  • You only need to purchase a single easy to source and not too expensive Arduino Nano33BLE board. ABX00030 (Also available at Digikey, Newark, Mouser, and more)
  • No need to tracking down additional sensor boards. All sensors are already included on the Nano
  • Directly communicate with Blue Tooth PARA radios. Taranis X9d+2019, Horus X10, Taranis QX7S, Taranis XLite,
  • Can communicate with older FRSky Radio's Bluetooth in v2.0
  • Bluetooth wireless link is available using a second Nano33BLE board. It acts like a FRSky remote and outputs PPM or SBUS. For those that don't have a PARA transmitter (No more dangling wires... Although there is nothing more reliable than the wire)
  • No switch to reset zero is needed. Can use the proximity sensor with the BLE Sense board and just place your hand over top.
  • Physical zero reset switch is still available on the head or remote board
  • No compiling code. A flash uploader is included in the GUI with ready to go firmware online.
  • Calibration is easily done in the GUI with wizard and visual feedback.
  • PPM Input, overrides the channels of your choice and outputs via PPM or Bluetooth (**3.3v Only** please verify your PPM signal level before connecting, see wiki)
  • PPM input can be input from the slave or the master board
  • SBUS output from either head or remote boards
  • Ability to mount in any orientation
  • 4x PWM Outputs
Issues
If you have any issues related to program bugs, crashes or feature requests. Please add them to the GIThub page
https://github.com/dlktdr/HeadTracke...s?q=is%3Aissue it's far easier to keep track of them there.

Chat
Need quick support, try Discord chat https://discord.gg/ux5hEaNSPQ

Donate
If you would like to donate to this project.
Donate

Recent update
Oct 10/21 - With the current state of the world there appears to be a chip shortage here too. I'll try to keep an updates list on the hardware page, but the ideal choices appear to be getting scarce. Please see, https://headtracker.gitbook.io/head-...dware-required
Last edited by dlktdr; Oct 21, 2021 at 02:22 AM. Reason: D
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2021, 04:22 AM
Subscribed

I have ordered my Arduino Nano 33 BLE [ABX00030] already. Can't wait to try it out
Feb 05, 2021, 07:37 AM
I wish this thread to have only one page, and the rest will be "thanks it work great, take a look at my setup !"
Feb 05, 2021, 09:16 AM
Can't wait to try it out!

Question: The 'ol stand-alone Fatshark Trinity Headtracking units where susceptible to magnetic interference, causing drift when mounted on top of the goggles. How's the sensitivity regarding that issue with this board?
Feb 05, 2021, 12:23 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
definitely subbed can't wait to see how this progresses, again fantastic work
Feb 05, 2021, 01:19 PM
Eschew obfuscation
Feb 06, 2021, 02:00 PM

Case for Tracker

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4752289

Name: 33NanCaseInside.jpg
Views: 143
Size: 415.6 KB
Description:

Name: 33NanCaseTop.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 158.6 KB
Description:

Name: 33NanCasePlate.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 247.7 KB
Description:

Only power needs to be soldered, switch is aligned to contact with D3 and Ground.
Plate is basic so it can be adapted to suit goggles.
I will be doing a plate for DJI FPV goggles.
Feb 06, 2021, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobatteryNopower
Can't wait to try it out!

Question: The 'ol stand-alone Fatshark Trinity Headtracking units where susceptible to magnetic interference, causing drift when mounted on top of the goggles. How's the sensitivity regarding that issue with this board?
Any magnetic sensor is going to get disrupted by permeant magnetic sources or any permeable elements near it (iron , nickel, etc.) Current through a wire is the same as a permanent magnet as long as it's steady current. This can be adjusted out in the calibration routine. I would suggest you mount it to your headset have everything on and running and then do the calibration.

I did try holding a magnet up to it and it does rotate a bit but didn't keep drifting. It eventually went back to zero after I removed it.

I use a fairly well known and more advanced fusion algorithm on this one (Madgwick's). Will have to see how it handles it in the real world. NXP's fusion library is also on there, it was dead stable and takes noise into account better If this doesn't work out for everyone, I can switch it. It was taking too long to stabilize on power up. Appeared as though it wasn't tracking properly at all but after a few motions it was much smoother than the current one. Thought it might cause confusion If I or someone can tweak the settings so it locks on quicker I think it's the better choice.

Keep the power wiring as far away as possible from the sensor. AND If you are having issues no matter what you try put a piece of Mu-Metal between the board and your headset. Keep as much space from the tracker to the Mu-Metal as possible. It has a very high permeability so the magnetic fields will prefer to travel in the metal and return to the source rather than radiating out and screwing up the mag sensor. This will change the soft iron offset calibration, be sure to calibrate again. Even better wrap a piece of copper in mu-metal for a really good shield. Gives you two layers to stop steady state and the copper will stop and higher frequency noise.

Worked great on my drone. Although it draws 100Amps at peak load and I mounted the flight controller right above the 6esc's.. not the best plan but it worked out. Might be overkill on a FPV that isn't drawing much. Keeping power wiring away is the most important thing.

(UltraPerm 80/MuMetal)[https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...+89&_osacat=0]
Feb 07, 2021, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiZen
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4752289

Attachment 14611175

Attachment 14611177

Attachment 14611179

Only power needs to be soldered, switch is aligned to contact with D3 and Ground.
Plate is basic so it can be adapted to suit goggles.
I will be doing a plate for DJI FPV goggles.
Sweet, very clean setup. looks like the link for thingiverse is down. BTW, what switch did you end up using? Have you used it yet; how's it function?
Feb 07, 2021, 10:05 AM
would it be possible for the module to read a pwm value from the radio so you can assign a channel for the reset center button?
Feb 07, 2021, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.Engineer
would it be possible for the module to read a pwm value from the radio so you can assign a channel for the reset center button?
If ppmin is used, i think is possible to add code that command the reset.
Feb 07, 2021, 12:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrotm777
If ppmin is used, i think is possible to add code that command the reset.
Seems like a good idea, but you couldn't do it from all transmitters. Mine can't output PPM and receive BT at the same time. Or input and output PPM since it's on the same pin. If your using two transmitters would be able to on the first one that is outputting PPM.

I've added it to GIThub as a feature request.
Feb 07, 2021, 06:13 PM
Fly Hard or Fly Home!!!
if you use an external module like a dragonlink or something you could read a stream value to do this.
Feb 07, 2021, 10:54 PM
My plan has been to just install a button and mono jack on the Tx. I will be already running wire for PPM so why not two?

Thank you for this clean and simple HT!
Feb 08, 2021, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlktdr
input and output PPM since it's on the same pin.
The same pin of the transmitter. It's a material limitation, but note to the arduino side.
You can not ask your transmitter to be slave and master at the same time, so no PPM-IN and PPM-OUT at the same time.

But it's a button.. you can run a wire along the jack wire and glue a button on the side of your transmitter ;-)

Quick Reply