Aug 30, 2021, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_L
Finally test flew the MWD for the first time today. Thorough a litany of comical errors, the plane could hardly fly. The aileron channel was reversed. Corrected on site under the shade of a tree (the screen of the RM TX16s was unreadable under the sun). The plane wouldn't go up. Full throttle and up elevator used to keep it stay up in the air. I had placed 10g of lead in the noose to keep the cg at 1/3 distance from the leading edge. Got home and removed the lead weight. Then realized the rear of the wing was hardly screwed down. I think that's the most probable reason the plane's nose down attitude. One thing I would like to ask. Is my original cg location correct? Or should I leave the lead out for the next flight? Thank you for any insights that anyone may have to share.
I don't think this plane is grossly tail heavy, as it will glide quite well with no power and doesn't show tail heavy signs then. I have flown a lot with a heavier 450mAh battery, but in the end decided that it wasn't needed from a CG point of view. I think the apparent problems have more to do with the set up of the stabilised mode and possibly the angles of incidence of the tail and main wing. Also I think it's good to check the elevator neutral position, which because of the clevis is easy to adjust.

I think a little extra weight in the nose doesn't hurt, but 10g might be too much.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2021, 11:48 PM
Thanks, 1 aurice. I agree with you the amount of weight I added was a lot - 12% of the original all-up weight. I slapped up a plane balancer out of memory similar to the one I built decades ago in my slope gliding days. Maybe it isn't accurate to take the light load of a micro foamie. The elevator & rudder were centered as best as I could tell. I think the main reason the plane didn't fly was the wing being held down with the front screw only. The trailing edge of the wing must have lifted under load during flight. I will have some coins handy when I have my next flight and see how it goes. Once again, thank you 1 aurice. You are an angel!
Sep 10, 2021, 05:32 PM
I’m just curious whether the stock prop with the micron wings motor is better than the prop they supply with it? I put my Anemometers at the tail with
both props and the wind speed was 3kph faster with the stock. Happy to hear other people’s experience. Thanks

BTW - this little $100 plane gets flown by my whole family, including my 8 and 10 year old daughters and wife. It’s had numerous crashes, yet it barely has a mark on it. Amazing technology and fun for very little outlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 11, 2021, 03:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotShaw
I’m just curious whether the stock prop with the micron wings motor is better than the prop they supply with it? I put my Anemometers at the tail with both props and the wind speed was 3kph faster with the stock. Happy to hear other people’s experience. Thanks

BTW - this little $100 plane gets flown by my whole family, including my 8 and 10 year old daughters and wife. It’s had numerous crashes, yet it barely has a mark on it. Amazing technology and fun for very little outlay.

I tried both, and now I'm using the stock prop because I think it's a little better than the micron wings one.

Once the problems are ironed out, I agree it's fun and very suitable for beginners, thanks to the pusher design and very tough foam. It's great that you're introducing your daughters to the hobby.
Sep 11, 2021, 05:03 AM
Oz-Kiwi
Bought mine from BG AU in early Aug for $AU106 and I see they are down to $AU64 for September (3 batteries). Am tempted to buy another for parts but so far I haven't needed any. It's still pretty much standard other than cooling for the motor. I opened up the intake on top so that it actually works and added intakes on the underside at the wing - fuselage join. So far the motor only gets warm but I bought a number of 1020s from AliExp as insurance.

Flew it today on "middle" mode as the wind was sometimes up to 10k gusting 15 which is stretching my ability somewhat.

I fly it with my TX16s and enjoy having the voltage telemetry. Wish my Vntx Sport Cub 500 had it (and the 31mm wheels from the MWD for the club field).
Many thanks to all who put in the time to sort out the MT99XX protocol / Dragon sub-protocol.
Sep 11, 2021, 07:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpNut
Bought mine from BG AU in early Aug for $AU106 and I see they are down to $AU64 for September (3 batteries). Am tempted to buy another for parts but so far I haven't needed any. It's still pretty much standard other than cooling for the motor. I opened up the intake on top so that it actually works and added intakes on the underside at the wing - fuselage join. So far the motor only gets warm but I bought a number of 1020s from AliExp as insurance.

Flew it today on "middle" mode as the wind was sometimes up to 10k gusting 15 which is stretching my ability somewhat.

I fly it with my TX16s and enjoy having the voltage telemetry. Wish my Vntx Sport Cub 500 had it (and the 31mm wheels from the MWD for the club field).
Many thanks to all who put in the time to sort out the MT99XX protocol / Dragon sub-protocol.
Your post makes me think they must have fixed the motor problem, which would be really good news. With three batteries it's a great bargain at $AU64.

I've been out flying mine this morning in gusty wind - sometimes it was flying backwards! I flew with a 650mAh battery, quite a bit heavier of course, but makes it penetrate the wind really well. I got 17 minutes throttle on flight time, and I did quite a bit of gliding, so real flight time would have been over 20 minutes. I used the beginner and middle mode, and the unstabilised for a very short time before I decided it was a bit too challenging. I'm really enjoying this plane now. I would like bigger ailerons though, but the very good rudder authority does compensate somewhat.
Last edited by 1auriec; Sep 12, 2021 at 09:13 PM.
Sep 13, 2021, 12:19 AM

Eachine Mini Wing Dragon - 4 channel stabilised trainer, both indoors and outdoors

Thanks 1auriec for sharing your experience and knowledge.

I bought another MWD ($64! Thanks ImpNut) for my girls as they are really eager to have one of their own. I’ll have to paint one so we can tell which is which. I hope they don’t discover the Corsair and P51 or this hobby is going to get dear fast.

Sep 13, 2021, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks 1auriec for sharing your experience and knowledge.

I bought another MWD ($64! Thanks ImpNut) for my girls as they are really eager to have one of their own. I’ll have to paint one so we can tell which is which. I hope they don’t discover the Corsair and P51 or this hobby is going to get dear fast.
As well as the P51 I also recommend the Eachine Sport Cub 500. It's more spritely than the MWD because it has a geared motor. Although the prop is on the front, the excellent prop saver system means you won't break one. It's better at aerobatics than the MWD and if your daughters can fly the MWD they will also be able to fly the Cub and have a lot of fun with it.
Sep 16, 2021, 02:43 AM

Eachine Mini Wing Dragon - 4 channel stabilised trainer, both indoors and outdoors

First up. I am a total muppet with RC planes. I’ve destroyed two planes in about a total of 1 minute and given up learning to fly for about three years until I recently saw positive reviews of the MWD.

But now I’m calling it, Mini F4U Corsair is an easier plane to fly the MWD. Let me explain why. Once I got some confidence with the basic controls for flying MWD in intermediate mode, I decided to try the Corsair in full gyro. After the need to adjust to the power, speed and agility difference, I found it very forgiving and was able to switch it into intermediate mode after just 3 batteries of flight.

Flying both planes back to back today in intermediate shows the Corsair’s extra power and agility makes it more capable of maintaining altitude during manoeuvres and less prone to stalling. I wouldn’t have wanted to fly the Corsair before the WND, but now I find it easier.

I may have just reaffirmed my muppet status, but I stand by my claim.

Last edited by ImNotShaw; Sep 16, 2021 at 04:03 AM.
Sep 17, 2021, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
First up. I am a total muppet with RC planes. I’ve destroyed two planes in about a total of 1 minute and given up learning to fly for about three years until I recently saw positive reviews of the MWD.

But now I’m calling it, Mini F4U Corsair is an easier plane to fly the MWD. Let me explain why. Once I got some confidence with the basic controls for flying MWD in intermediate mode, I decided to try the Corsair in full gyro. After the need to adjust to the power, speed and agility difference, I found it very forgiving and was able to switch it into intermediate mode after just 3 batteries of flight.

Flying both planes back to back today in intermediate shows the Corsair’s extra power and agility makes it more capable of maintaining altitude during manoeuvres and less prone to stalling. I wouldn’t have wanted to fly the Corsair before the WND, but now I find it easier.

I may have just reaffirmed my muppet status, but I stand by my claim.
I think it's a very reasonable comment. I don't have the Corsair, but I believe it is very similar to the P-51 to fly. I find the P-51 very easy to fly in the beginner and intermediate modes, and like to show off flying it consistently very close to the floor when we fly indoors. It's so very predictable. I still find it a challenge in the expert mode though, and don't use that indoors.

I do find you need to give it some airspeed. If you slow it beyond a certain point it can quickly drop a wing.

I still think though that for complete beginners the MWD gives them more time to think.
Last edited by 1auriec; Sep 28, 2021 at 03:14 AM.
Sep 18, 2021, 07:34 AM
"I still think though that for complete beginners the MWD gives them more time to think."

Yep Laurie. Particularly while waiting on parts!

Stick with the V761 Sport Cub 500 and Mini Warbirds mates,
Sep 19, 2021, 12:43 AM
Success. It's alive! Wind speed was 10k rather than the 30-50k forecasted. Plane flew without added ballast. Started with stock rx battery at a bit over 4v. As usual, something stupid happened. Rudder channel was reversed. Result of flashing to EdgeTx and then Back. Rectified on site. Rudder gave really tight turns. Nothing untoward happened, just puttering around getting used to the controls. Flew for 7+ minutes until it couldn't maintain level flight, with battery at 3.5v. Thanks to everyone who shared their experience which made this possible. Shout out to 1aurice for starting the thread and Pascal for making the Dragon sub-protocol available (it does not work on Taranis with mpm). Won't buy another plane again until I have gone over everything about it on RCG first! One observation, the MWD seems to fly appreciably slower than the Sports Cub 500. Have a good day and cheers guys.
Oct 24, 2021, 06:41 PM
Mack
I have a Mini Wind Dragon that I can fly on Mode One using my Jumper T12 transmitter fitted with an iRangeX module. Neither have had firmware updates for quite a while (see photo 1).

However, I’m in the process of binding all my models to a Taranis X9D (with a Jumper module) and although the others, including DSM receivers, Flysky bricks and the Volantex Ranger brick, are working ok on the Taranis, I am having trouble binding the Dragon. Both the Tx and module have the latest firmware and the available setting protocols seem to be very precise for the Dragon (see photo 2).

A bind appears to be made with a solid light, but this is temporary and even when this is on, only brief fluttering of some control surfaces sometimes occurs. After a short time the voice message reports “loss of telemetry”.

I like the Dragon as a trainer (especially at its current bargain price) and I bought another for my grandkids. I checked its bind to my Taranis and got the same result. I am left wondering if the latest updates to the Taranis or the Jumper module have somehow incorporated a Dragon “bug”? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
(BTW the alternative MT99 protocol setting that works on the Jumper Tx does not work on the Taranis.)
Oct 24, 2021, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack
I have a Mini Wind Dragon that I can fly on Mode One using my Jumper T12 transmitter fitted with an iRangeX module. Neither have had firmware updates for quite a while (see photo 1).

However, I’m in the process of binding all my models to a Taranis X9D (with a Jumper module) and although the others, including DSM receivers, Flysky bricks and the Volantex Ranger brick, are working ok on the Taranis, I am having trouble binding the Dragon. Both the Tx and module have the latest firmware and the available setting protocols seem to be very precise for the Dragon (see photo 2).

A bind appears to be made with a solid light, but this is temporary and even when this is on, only brief fluttering of some control surfaces sometimes occurs. After a short time the voice message reports “loss of telemetry”.

I like the Dragon as a trainer (especially at its current bargain price) and I bought another for my grandkids. I checked its bind to my Taranis and got the same result. I am left wondering if the latest updates to the Taranis or the Jumper module have somehow incorporated a Dragon “bug”? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
(BTW the alternative MT99 protocol setting that works on the Jumper Tx does not work on the Taranis.)
Hi Peter

I saw this post, and since my earlier advice related to my Jumper 4in1 module with an earlier release of firmware than yours, I decided to upgrade mine to the same as yours, which is indeed the latest release. I did that (see photo), then got the MWD and found it bound fine, so I think we can eliminate the module firmware as a cause of your problems.

So I am concluding that the problem must be with your Taranis. I am assuming it's not with the MWD itself since you can bind it with the Jumper and a second MWD exhibits the same problem.

I hope we'll be back to indoor flying again soon, and that will give us the opportunity to do some more trouble shooting with both your and my planes and transmitters available.

L
Oct 25, 2021, 06:04 AM
Mack
Hi Laurie,
Thanks for following up on the Jumper module. At least that rules one thing out. You and I share the goal of being able to fly all the models we have on one transmitter and I’m almost there with the Taranis that I obtained thanks to John. I really like using the Taranis and it’s just an irritation, not a big deal, that I can’t bind the Dragon to it. It looks as though the updated firmware on the Taranis could be the issue. Something to explore when the stadiums open up again after the covid lockdown.
Peter

Quick Reply