Sony Airpeak Cinematic Drone

Last month Sony announced the Airpeak drone. This is Sony's first foray into the drone market as they look to snatch up some market share from the major players like DJI, Freefly, Autel, Yuneec and Skydio.

Splash

Sony Enters the Drone Market

Last month Sony announced the Airpeak drone. This is Sony's first foray into the drone market as they look to snatch up some market share from the major players like DJI, Freefly, Autel, Yuneec and Skydio. Sony says "Combining our imaging and sensing technological expertise and AI Robotics, we open the skies into an infinite creative playground – one with unprecedented freedom. Let us lift you to never-reached creative experience by unleashing all constraints and barriers."

Deatils on the Airpeak are scarce at the moment, but Sony plans to release more news and announcements as they lead up to the product launch this Spring. What we know so far, is that Airpeak is a quadcopter drone with what looks to be a removable gimbal that will stabilize the Sony Alpha camera. It has landing gear that retract upwards out of the view of the camera. It reminds me a lot of the DJI S900, but in a quadcopter configuration instead of a hexacopter. Sony says they've integrated AI and Robotics into the Airpeak and it will interesting to hear more about how the flight characteristics and the smart technology work together.

Sony has a tough battle ahead as leading Drone company DJI dominates much of the commercial industry with the Inspire 2 drone and Free Fly covering the ultra high end production market with their Alta drones that are capable of carrying better cameras like RED and ARRI with more flexibility. We'll keep an eye on the Airpeak and look forward to learning more as we get closer to the Spring launch.

Tell us what you think about the Airpeak in the comments below.

Feb 04, 2021, 04:05 PM
already ruff, trying for ready
It should be interesting. DJI's specialty is the drone, to which they attach a camera. Sony's specialty is cameras. The Sony cameras are best in class for autofocus and resolution. I suppose it's anyone's guess as to which technology is more important - drone or camera- but at a minimum it will be interesting to watch. And good for users.
Feb 05, 2021, 10:35 AM
“A NEW DAY IS DAWNING “
I am pleased to see a pillar in technology enter the market.

I hope they go full into the consumer side as well. I’ll bet that drone is sexy up close. For now from a distance, it’s kinda older looking tech.

They will need all of their energy to complete with DJI.
Feb 05, 2021, 11:37 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I agree, the hardware seems dated, but functional. It's the software side that is really interesting. I'm very curious to see what they've been able to do with AI and how that translates to a better experience for the pilot and the end product.

Quick Reply